PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone live in Marin/SF bay area?

jesseandgrace
06-01-2006, 08:11 PM
We are thinking of a move to Marin from where we are now (on the penninsula), but it is just so hard to make the decision. We like many of the towns, there are tons of good school districts, but we also like where we are now. If we don't move I will be commuting up there for a while and since there is really no fast way through the city it will get pretty tedious. I would love to hear anything anyone knows about living in Marin, different towns, school districts, absolutely anything!

swampnurse
06-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Boy, do i love Marin!!!

My dad lived there (Novato & Nicasio) while i was grwoing up on the East Coast and i loved it so much that i vowed i would move there someday even though i couldn't/can't stand my father!

I did finally move to the Bay Area after college and lived in Sunnyvale, San Francisco, Walnut Creek and now San Ramon. Just can't seem to quite get to Marin though.:) My husband works in San Jose, so it's looking like I won't make it there afterall. We're happy in SR though.

Anyway, I think all of the towns are nice w/ good school systems with the exception of some parts of San Rafael. I worked at Marin General Hospital a few years ago when mine was on strike and was suprised to find quite a few patients from some very "un-Marin" type backgrounds. I was told that there was some low-income housing there and that is where all of those people lived. Not that i have anything against them, before anyone flames me, but stating that it's just very rare for that county. It is a VERY wealthy county! Maybe that's why i can't live there! :)So jealous you get to go!

My favorite parts are out on the western side like San Anselmo and Ross! Maybe you could be Sean Penn's neighbor!

jesseandgrace
06-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Yah, I might just live by Sean Penn (If someone gives me a few mill :)). We live in the Palo Alto area now, I am wondering how different it will be. I find it a little "rich" for my taste here, so I am thinking I won't get a break from that there, but I think I will enjoy the ocean/bay vibe a little more. I really see myself as a Berkeley or Santa Cruz kind of person, but I have a great job opportunity in Marin. It seems beautiful in Marin, I'm from Boston so it is all so very California to me (if that makes any sense) and I am loving that since it is such a change, but also really unsure of what to expect. I like San Anselmo, Mill Valley, and the parts of San Rafael that are in the good school district. Thanks for your response!

Saccade
06-01-2006, 10:54 PM
I really see myself as a Berkeley or Santa Cruz
>kind of person...

If that's the case, I predict that you will feel more at home in Marin than the South Bay. Marin can be wealthy (although a fair amount of it is still agricultral folks, including Basque shepherds!) but it's more a wealthy ex-hippe vibe rather than an Silicon Valley new money vibe (please excuse the broad sterotypes!). We're toying with the idea of Sausalito ourselves (or at least regular summer place at Stinson) but it will be at least a year before there's any serious action on that front.

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/squsqutdg20050713_-8_DS+is.png

[FONT COLOR="#006600"]Come get wild and wooly with us!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters/index.php?act=idx[FONT]

swampnurse
06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
I agree, Marin has lots of left-over hippie types! The Birkenstock factory is there!

It's nice out here in Contra Costa, but it sure is hot! So jealous of you both! :)

Saccade
06-01-2006, 11:23 PM
>It's nice out here in Contra Costa, but it sure is hot! So
>jealous of you both! :)

Yabbut when it's July and 52F and foggy out, I will be wishing I was through the tunnel... :)

kath68
06-02-2006, 12:51 AM
I didn't know you were a fellow Contra Costan! There are a couple of us here. Who knew?

jesseandgrace
06-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks, that is good to hear! It is so difficult to think about starting again, we've only been in California for two years, so this would be starting all over again, but dh and I both suspect that in the long run we will feel more at home in Marin, and the job would be a good one for me (I am going to do it, even if I commute). It is just so beautiful and quaint where we are now, and we love the schools, but it is hard to think of a life here when we seem so different from everyone else here!

morgan47
06-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm a Contra Costan too. Been living in Martinez for about 6 years, and in Walnut Creek for a bit before that.

swampnurse
06-02-2006, 03:10 PM
How coincidental Kathy, i've always loved your signature line!

mamalou
06-03-2006, 01:12 AM
I love love love Marin and think you will too. It's so beautiful, the water is all over, and hiking always 10 minutes away. I lived in Larkspur for 2 years and am still trying to figure out a way to move back. I think you'd like San Anselmo for some reason. Mill Valley is the place for wealthy families. But if I could afford it I would. People don't wear their politics on their sleeves and everyone was so friendly (compared to my greater Washington DC background). Tons of great food and a great baby store in San Raphael, great shopping and pizza in Corte Madera. Novato might be nice too, but don't know about the schools up there. I don't think you can go wrong. Happy Hunting!

Congrats on the job! I'm jealous :)

mamalou
06-03-2006, 01:14 AM
There are lots of low income people in Marin City too.

jesseandgrace
06-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks everyone! We are thinking of San Anselmo right near town, San Rafael in the Peacock Gap area (to get the ocean vibe and a great school) and parts of Mill Valley. The prices are outrageous, but they are here on the penninsula too, so at least it isn't such a shock.