PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with 9 month old daughter alone

trash
06-02-2006, 12:54 AM
I will be traveling with my 9 month old daughter alone. I have not bought her a seat but I upgraded myself with miles. Any advise are welcome.
Are there any changing tables in the bathroom. When I go to the bathroom I have to bring her then.
This will be my first time traveling with her and I am not sure of what to expect. Any advise are welcome. I anticipate that it would be hard doing this especially since I will also have to change plane.
Thanks

dhano923
06-02-2006, 02:47 AM
Where are you travelling, how long is the flight from where you live, and what airline(s) are you flying? Each airline and plane is different.

Dee150
06-02-2006, 09:02 AM
DS is now 23 mos. old. I travelled alone with him when he was 8 mos. old, but that was on Lufthansa, and international. Like the PP said, it depends a lot on the airline, esp. domestically. The flights I was on, all had changing tables over the commode (WC). An upgrade might get you more attention (from the less stressed out flight attendants) - usually helps with the baby.

Domestic flights are a lot different - I've travelled United with DS alone when he was 22 mos. - didn't need to use the facilities on the plane, but I have heard that other airlines are better.

Let us know what airline etc. On a shorter flight, its not too difficult to entertain a 9mo. old - usually!

stillplayswithbarbies
06-02-2006, 09:06 AM
There is a lot of information about travel by plane in the car seat forum. You'll find detailed advice about how to get through security, what kind of toys to bring, etc.

Do a search over there, or repost there.

trash
06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
I will be traveling by United airlines domestic. Each segment is about 2 hours with 1hour for connection at Denver. I did post on carseat segment but they only talk about ways to carry carseat. I just want any general suggestions such as how to help with pressurizing her ears. I know I should feed her formula so she would pressurize and also hopefully sleep since the flight is at 6 in the morning. Any advise will be welcomed. Thanks

shilo
06-02-2006, 01:17 PM
ok, well i've flown several times with my ds, but have always had a seat for him, so no help on the sharing a seat with DC front, but on the rest, maybe this will help?

ears: i find that going up isn't so hard on him, usually just a little sucking or chewing will do (in the early days it was nursing, then later a binky and last time just some water in a straw cup or some small snack). on the way down, you will definitely want to keep her swallowing most of the time. i found it helpful to ask the attendant to let me know before we started the descent, so i could be all ready to go (i've done it all ways, nursed, EBM bottle that needed to be warmed and formula that needed to be mixed). the key is to start them swallowing from the very beginning of the descent in my experience. if you wait until you're already on the way down, and then have to mix the bottle, etc, she will likely already be uncomfortable, and it is much harder to clear your ears once the pressure is aleady built up. so basically, i just keep him taking 2 or 3 sips, then wait 30 seconds, then another 2 or 3 sips, lather rinse repeat the whole way down. one other trick for ears during the middle of the flight - pay attention to your own ears during the flight. if i feel my ears 'popping' mid flight, i give DS a few sips of something or get him to chew a snack.

toys/distraction: i read and heard from friends that something new they haven't seen before often helps - and it does for my DS too. i also picked out a few of his favorite small toys about a week before the most recent flight (11months) to 'hide' and not pull out until the flight - that way i knew it was something he'd like. in general, i try to pick things that are small and don't make too much noise for the flight. walking the aisle with them works, as does letting them play on the floor at your feet (if you can get over the germ factor). ds was really into standing on this last flight and spent a bit of time standing up between my legs holding onto my seat.

changing: pp are right, really depends on the airline/plane you're flying as to what your options are. in my exp. the bigger United jets i've been on had changing tables in the lavs, the smaller regional jets did not. i've had flight attendants tell me to just change him in my seat and one who set up blankets on the galley floor for me to change him on. with only 2 hour legs, you'll probably be fine just changing him in the airport right before you board and on your layover (but if you're pressed for time, don't fret, just change her on the plane). for you, same goes, legs are short enough that you may not need to go on the plane, but if you do, usually the flight attendants or someone sitting near you will be oohing and ahhing over your DD and if you asked, would be happy to watch her for a few momments while you go. it's not like they can run off with her :).

security: i'm always traveling with a carseat, for which i have wheels, so not sure how much help i can be here. i'm a big sling user, so between that and the carseat i tend not to bring my stroller thru security, i just check it with the baggage. the security attendants are usually pretty good all things considered about helping you get thru the checkpoint smoothly. i send my bag thru first with my shoes/coat, then the carseat (for you stroller) and then walk thru with the baby. on the other end i do the reverse. baby back into carseat (stroller) then put my shoes/coat back on and collect my bags. i do try to do all of this at the end of the table so i'm not blocking the narrow aisle right outside the detectors and holding up other passengers.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.