PDA

View Full Version : What method(s) of contraception do you use?!?

denna
06-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Sorry if TMI. I just had an IUD put in today and now I'm having doubts. Lol of course I ALWAYS have doubts AFTER I do something. After the GYN put it in he tells me to find the string (in the office) and I didnt feel it. He says if I dont to call them right away. So what does this me I'm supposed to go 'in' and feel for this string often?!? Now it seems like its such a hassel. So my vote is IUD what do you use?

If you have an IUD how did you deal w/ it. Is it a hassel? Do you really have to 'find' it often?

Thanks

Denna

kristenk
06-02-2006, 08:40 AM
I think the NP who inserted mine said something about checking the string on a monthly basis. I don't actually do it that frequently. The easiest time/place to check it is when you're in the shower IMO. I had a lot of spotting initially, but now I don't really even have a period, which is wonderful. If I had to rate the Mirena IUD on the hassle scale, I would have given it a high hassle rating for the first 6-8 months (for spotting) and then a hassle-free rating ever since then. HTH

MegND95
06-02-2006, 09:09 AM
I totally agree. I spotted with mine for almost a year. But once the spotting ended, I've not had a significant period. It's been over two years, and the same box of tampons has been sitting under my sink! Typically, I have 2-3 days of very light spotting every month, and no other PMS symptoms. I am terrible about checking the strings though.

I love the Mirena and recommend it to all my friends!

loewymartin
06-02-2006, 09:20 AM
I had the Mirena inserted after Kira was born (8 weeks I think?) I spotted for a few days afterwards but haven't had anything since - I'm still bf though.

I check in the shower on the first of the month. It's not a big deal at all for me to take 2 seconds to check. And it's much easier than screwing with my hormones every day by taking the pill, which is what I did prior to getting pregnant with Kira.

I'm very happy with my decision and will most likely have another one inserted once my 5 years are up.

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and Kira born 7/30/05

pb&j
06-02-2006, 11:41 AM
My OB told me not to worry if I couldn't feel the strings, that the IUD is large enough that you would *know* if it came out.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

lisaE
06-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Mine said the same. He wanted to leave it short so it would not cause any discomfort.

JulieL
06-02-2006, 12:24 PM
vesectomy :):):)

kozachka
06-02-2006, 12:34 PM
The OB that delivered DS and who I respect a lot said not to get IUD if I want more children in the future, something about possible scarring. Anybody heard anything about it?

pampamz
06-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Hhmm -- my doc also said take the Pill for now unless I was 100% certain no more kiddies and if so then...snip snip!!!

kijip
06-02-2006, 01:55 PM
>The OB that delivered DS and who I respect a lot said not to
>get IUD if I want more children in the future, something about
>possible scarring. Anybody heard anything about it?

The new Mirena IUDs do not have the same concerns as the older IUDs that many doctors are used too. When I told my mother I was getting an IUD she panicked-thinking that I would be getting the type of IUD that was used in the 70s and 80 and removed from the market. Mirena IUDs have apparently been used for about 14 years and in the USA since like 2002 or so. The information I have found says that women who have the Mirena removed are as likely to become pregnant as they were before having the IUD. Mirenas are reccomended for women who have had at least 1 birth who do not want more kids right now but who may want them later. Since I know I don't want to have any more children for at least several years now, I have opted to get the Mirena inserted while my insurance is still good rather than pay for it out of pocket later. Even though right now my BC is abstinence, a girl can dream, no? All joking aside, I reckon that I will be back together with J within a year at the most so the Mirena now for no cost out of pocket seemed like a better deal.

aliceinwonderland
06-02-2006, 02:43 PM
I got my IUD from a very well-respected OB-GYN, who is also older (my baby was one of the last ones he was delivering, he was retiring from that part of the practice), and he never mentioned this. I told him I was not planning on birthing any more children, but me being 26 at the time, he would have mentioned something, he usually went overboard with all the disclosures ;)

daniele_ut
06-02-2006, 02:59 PM
There is NO hassle at all with my Mirena IUD. I stopped spotting after 3 months and now I never think about birth control and i have had 2 periods in a year, both short. I check for the strings every few months, no big deal.

My OB is into total disclosure and he said nothing about scarring during the lenghty conversation we had during which I peppered him with questions about the IUD.

kozachka
06-02-2006, 03:35 PM
>The new Mirena IUDs do not have the same concerns as the older
>IUDs that many doctors are used too.
>The information I have found says that women who have the
>Mirena removed are as likely to become pregnant as they were
>before having the IUD. Mirenas are reccomended for women who
>have had at least 1 birth who do not want more kids right now
>but who may want them later.

Good to know, I might consider getting Mirena sometime in the future, will have to check source that says that "women who have Mirena removed are as likely to become pregnant as they were before having the IUD" and their funding IYKWIM.

daniele_ut
06-02-2006, 03:56 PM
"women who have Mirena removed are as likely to become pregnant as they were before having the IUD"

That is taken close to word for word from the FAQs on the Mirena website, but I know 2 people IRL who got pregnant within weeks of having their Mirena removed.

dhano923
06-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I have the Paraguard IUD (non-hormonal). I got it about 2 months ago. The OB told me to check for the string after my first period (it was still there) and then every 3 months. All you do is just insert a finger and feel around -- you can feel the string. It's not a hassle at all -- takes all of 5 seconds.

calebsmama03
06-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I got a Mirena almost 2 mos ago and the jury is still out as to how I like it. I still bleed randomly and have weird cramping, plus it is making my skin FREAK OUT! Gross :( My OB said to check the string monthly and I don't find that to be a hassle, but the potential risk of scarring or interfering with future babies has me a little worried! Let's hope that doctor was just not up-to-date on the Mirena??
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

aliceinwonderland
06-02-2006, 04:08 PM
D'uh! I was never told to check the string, but I have the Paraguard.

saschalicks
06-02-2006, 04:29 PM
I have the Paraguard too and I was never told to check the string. HMMM I wonder if I should be?

kijip
06-02-2006, 04:37 PM
It is what my nurse told me ;) and what I have heard from friends and read in a fact sheet from PP. And I have never been to the Mirena website FAQs, honest LOL ;).

Anyhoo, I can't imagine that the company would want to expose themselves to the lawsuit risk of marketing something that would cause infertility to mothers planning to have more births later on. I think there is a reason it is so popular with mothers...

spanannie
06-02-2006, 04:45 PM
I have an IUD and my OB told me not to worry about the string. I've never even tried to find it. He has a very large number of patients, and says he's never had a failure with IUD. They check it on u/s with the annual exam, and he thinks that's enough.

ETA: I have the Paraguard.

spanannie
06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
My doctor says the IUD causes no problems with future conception. This was a big concern I brought up, too.

aa2mama
06-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I used to have a Mirena IUD, and although I recently had it removed it will be my first choice for birth control in the future.

Anyhow, soon after it was inserted the strings went AWOL. My midwife asked me to come in for an office visit, and she couldn't find the strings, either. They ended up doing an ultrasound and determined that it was still there, it had just shifted position. I wasn't able to check for the strings once a month as recommended but never had any problems with it, although it was slightly more difficult to remove.

denna
06-03-2006, 04:23 PM
LoL oops I guess I fogot to add that one....

denna
06-03-2006, 04:27 PM
From the research that I have done, and from what my midwive and doc said scarring only occurs if/when you are infected w/ an STD. That is why an IUD is NOT recommened for women who are not or could possibly not be in a committed relationship.
The STD symptoms are magnified w/ the IUD.

I chose the IUD b/c I want more children and I dont want to have the guessing game of an entire year coming off the pill and I didnt want hormonal treatment. Condoms arent safe enough and the IUD has a more effective rate then getting your tubes tied.

jennabear
06-03-2006, 04:46 PM
I have the Paraguard too. I had it put in in Feb. So far so good!

ribbit1019
06-04-2006, 10:35 AM
I had mine inserted on Thurs. My midwife didn't mention anything about checking for the string.

She did say that she wanted to see me after my first period though, not sure when that will be since I am nursing... That may be related to the fact that the first one she put in "fell out."

So far except for some odd cramping and feeling a little sick on Fri I am pretty happy. Ask me again in 6 mos, lol!

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

KBecks
06-04-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm seriously considering using natural family planning after DS#2 is born. I'm happy that I learned so much about my cycle when TTC that I can now use those powers for prevention too. (Thanks to Taking Charge of Your Fertility.)

Of course, I understand that NFP is not perfect. We'll probably keep a supply of condoms on hand because of course I'm horniest when I'm most fertile :) (sorry if TMI!) And a #3 would be welcomed if we were surprised.