PDA

View Full Version : Therapists or "Parents of Children w/ disabilities/delays......

cchavez
06-02-2006, 12:05 PM
are you familiar w/ listening therapy/auditory training for children w/ Senosry Integration difficulties? I am thinking of starting The Listening Program w/ my son with consults/guidance from a local oT clinic. But
I am am still in the research stage to find out if it appropriate for my son.

Also, our local SI Challenge organization is offering a "Wake up Your Brain" training in Septmeber. I am hoping to learn some strategies to help my child plus get my CEU's (I am an SLP).....but want to find out more about the program before I sign up. It is based on The How Does your Engine Run program.....any information on either of these programs would great!!!!

TIA!!!!

brittone2
06-02-2006, 12:11 PM
One of the practices where I used to work did a huge amount of SI work. It was a huge portion of the practice (there were many more OTs than PTs). They used How Does your Engine Run and it was a really successful program for the families that used it IIRC. Not my area of expertise but I know the OT that owned the practice was a big fan, and she was highly respected.

I don't know about "Wake Up Your Brain" at all but it sounds promising.

jse107
06-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm an elementary school counselor, so I don't have a TON of info, but we (I) do use the "How Does Your Engine Run" program with some of my children with attentional difficulties--diagnosed or not, there are just some great ideas. I ordered both of their manuals, but love, love the new one that is out: Take Five. The webiste is:
http://www.alertprogram.com/products.php

Hope this helps!

cchavez
06-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks can you give me some examples of activities you use from this program???? TIA!!!

BTW, my son just turned 3 and is more of a sensory avoider.....