PDA

View Full Version : Numbers & Counting

Raidra
06-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Just out of curiosity..

When did your child start reciting numbers (say, 1-10)? And then when did they start actually being able to count objects (again, up to 10 objects)?

Thanks!

KrisM
06-03-2006, 09:35 PM
DS started saying numbers about 18 months old and when he babbled, he generally babbled numbers. Now, at 25 months, he can mostly count to 10. He always skips 5, but always gets the rest :).

He has no concept of what those numbers really mean though. I'll tell him 10 more minutes and he'll argue for 5 instead!

noahsmommy
06-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Well, DS started counting around 20 months, but he didn't pronouce the numbers. He just kinds would point and make these nasal sounds. He just recently started pronoucing the numbers at 2. It's quite neat, really, because I think he's just repeating words that I say. So he'll count up to thirty with me. The first time I went into the teens, he said "three-teen-teen, four-teen-teen, five-teen-teen" I just cracked up! I haven't tried to go further yet. The funniest thing is that he can't pronouce 1 and 2 very clearly, but everything else is fine.

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogard20040519_-6_Noah+is.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/car220np___.png[/img][/url]

Kaya and Dora's Michigan cousins!

crl
06-03-2006, 10:09 PM
DS was counting 1-10 by the time he was 2. He would say the numbers while "counting" fence posts then too.

But I'd say he only really started to understand the meanings recently--around 33 months. I think he now understands zero to five--he turns three this month. For example, he often asks for five of something he wants (five cookies, five books) when I offer one. And he will tell me there are five or four, etc. of an object,and be right!

(He can do from 9 backwards to zero now too--he started with five to zero at around 33 months.)

jbowman
06-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Ellie started counting from 1-12 (like Kris' DS, she also omitted 5, LOL) at 19 months. She started counting objects a couple of months ago, at 28 months. Often times, though, she will keep counting, or count more objects than there actually are, LOL.

kijip
06-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Reciting numbers (mostly) in order? Sometime around 18 months. Counting with accuracy? Does that most of the time now but sometimes he trips up and just says that there are either 3 or 5 of anything. He is accurate approx 95% of the time. I think he first did this sometime at about when he turned two. Recently 11+ clicked. His current thing is to group things by 10 and count by tens. Again only mostly accurate and not 100%.

kath68
06-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Charlie could mindlessly recite the numbers up to 10 probably around 16 months, and was doing some basic counting by 18 months (messing it up a lot but getting the idea that you sequentially assign a number to one of a group of things).

He is getting a little more sophisticated about the concept of counting now, at 26 months. He knows the difference in amount between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, but above 3 he can't keep track. So I would say he can purposefully count three objects now; after that he just starts reciting numbers as he "counts".

He is particularly fond of the number eleventeen!

kijip
06-03-2006, 10:49 PM
>He is particularly fond of the number eleventeen!

That's my favorite number too ;)

Judegirl
06-04-2006, 03:29 AM
Rory recited 1-10 at 18 months. She now (25 months) recites numbers 1-30 (except sometimes she says "twenty-ten" instead of "thirty", lol! And she often skips 16.)

She can count actual objects reliably to 4, occasionally to 5, but without help, beyond 5 she just races through the numbers.

HTH,
Jude

neeter
06-04-2006, 04:24 AM
Jude - this is the same with my son - he does 20-10 for thirty!

Anyway, my son started reciting numbers around 18 months, was able to start counting actual objects around 2 (up to about 10 objects).

Aunt to sweet baby boy
06-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Avi has started counting about 2-3 weeks ago. He skips from 4-7 and his favorite number is 8. He sometimes counts 1-2 things but i think he is just starting to know what the numbers mean.

Sometimes if he is running away when i need to change him or does not listen i will start to count 1.....2..... and now he goes 3.... 4....7....8.....9....10. He says the numbers so cute, i dont even know how i would spell them.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]

lmintzer
06-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Joshua was a late talker but learned his numbers pretty early. By just a touch over 2, he was doing most of 1-20. I think he learned some of them from Sesame Street. We found this out because he was ending with "20" and then "Ah, ah, ah" which a friend of ours pointed out sounded like the Count, lol. He didn't watch Sesame Street every day, so that was pretty funny.

He was able to count objects to 3 by about 22 months. At 2 years and a few months, he was pretty good at counting objects to 10. He makes mistakes but clearly understands the concept.

trumansmom
06-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Not yet, but she's trying.

Her special skill seems to shoe shopping. *sigh*

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

kaylinsmommy2
06-04-2006, 04:11 PM
No counting here yet either (she tries - it usually sounds like this: "Two, six, eight, nine, eight, nine, eight, nine."

She doesn't have a favorite number, but she does have a least favorite number: one.

But Kaylin can't shoe shop either. Ack! She's just so behind! What ever will I do? ;)

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

trumansmom
06-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Let her shoot hoops!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

hez
06-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Pretty early-- by 18 months (I remember 'cause I wasn't prepared!).

We've got a couple counting books, and he counts with me now. He just recently started holding up one to five fingers on a hand *carefully* to tell me that's how many things there are, but he's had the concept of two ("bof of us") down for a bit.

He's counted things for awhile, it's just that I think the concepts have actually set in the last 3-4 months, 'cause now he actually stops at the actual number of things, versus automatically counting to ten.

ETA: Now that I've had time to read, 18 months sounds normal-- I guess it felt early 'cause *I* wasn't ready ;)

hez
06-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Yes! "Sixteen, Eleventeen, Eighteen..." :)

aliceinwonderland
06-04-2006, 06:58 PM
No counting here either, as in, he does not recite numbers randomly, but he can actually count to...two!! We tld him no about something today and he grabbed two of the forbidden object, and said "TWO...."
LOL

Caroline--E does not express any clothes preference at all either. Only that he does not want **any** clothes on :)

proggoddess
06-04-2006, 08:06 PM
DD started counting when she was a little younger than 2 years old. Now at 26 months, she can count up to 19 (but skips 12, and twenty is always "eleventeen"). As far as counting objects, she knows up to 3, and then everything else is just "19" because she doesn't know when to stop counting.

mudder17
06-05-2006, 04:41 PM
LOL, I know this is an "old" thread, but Kaya helped me with shoe shopping this weekend! She's got a bigger shoe obsession than anyone I know!

As for counting, I think she did 1-10 reliably at 23 months. I don't know why, but it never occurred to us to try counting with her, so I was shocked when she did it a few days after I introduced it to her. By the time she turned 2, she could do most of 1-20, although she often skipped 15. She could also recite A-Z, although she did much better with the sign language prompting. This weekend, she surprised me because she was actually counting objects. She was able to correctly identify the number of objects (not 100% but not bad) up to 6 items. It was really fun to watch her realize what the numbers mean.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 27 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

saschalicks
06-05-2006, 05:09 PM
DS started counting at 18 months. He can count objects out but again I think it's more if I help him then his understanding the concept of 5 objects in my hand. Does this make sense? BTW, DS is 23 months.