PDA

View Full Version : Natural Mosquito Repellant

o_mom
06-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know if the natural mosquito repellants for the yard actually work?

Most of them say they are garlic based. We have a very shady yard and the mosquitos seem to be out all day long, not just the morning and evening hours. I hate to put DEET on the kids or myself everyday, but I react horribly and seem to be bit all the time.

elliput
06-04-2006, 01:35 PM
I have heard that catnip is a good repellant. I also found this article http://www.thefrugallife.com/mosquitoesgarden.html which talks about it and other plants that repell mosquitoes.

EllasMum
06-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Citronella scented geraniums seem to help a bit. They don't smell all that strong when dry, but if you spray them and the leaves are wet - it is quite a strong, though not unpleasant, scent. Most garden centres seem to carry them. They do bloom but the flowers tend to be fairly insignificant.

dules
06-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Not for the yard itself but we're having reasonable success so far with California Baby's bug repellent spray, which has citronella and other non-chemical ingredients. I got it at my local baby store but I think lots of places carry it and it's sold online.

I also read a review of the Burt's Bees on Drugstore.com that recommended using their baby oil instead (apricot and grapeseed oil I think). It smells yummy and we have a big bottle so I may try that as well.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas of what to do in the yard - ours is not all that shady but some spots get damp which is also bad for mosquitos.

Best,
Mary

chlobo
06-04-2006, 08:45 PM
I live in a town whose newspaper is aptly called "The Mosquito". Last year we were having fireworks for the 4th of July. The town decided to spray the garlic spray on the field where people would be watching. From what I heard it did not kill all the mosquitos but definitely made it so you could comfortably stand there and watch the fireworks without getting eaten alive.

Personallly my DH just ordered some of this and we plan to spray the yard when it gets here. If I remember I'll report back on its use. It supposedly helps keep ticks away too. But we'll see.