PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE Chicken pox?

Globetrotter
06-05-2006, 12:25 PM
UPDATE -

Well, whaddya know - it's scarlet fever!! He tested positive for strep, but no other symptoms other than the rash. Until I read Lisa's post below, I had no idea that strep could cause a rash. It's a relief to know what's going on!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DS (who is three) was restless last night, and we noticed his back was COVERED in tiny bumps! yikes! We put hydrocortisone on it to stop the itching, and today I noticed he has some on his front and a few on his arms. The pedi. (not our regular one) said it could be contact dermatitis or chicken pox! Since he's been vaccinated, it would be a mild case. There is no fever, and he's been pretty happy! Seems like the hydrocortisone has stopped the itching.

Has anyone gone through this? I did search the archives and it seems like most of the kids who had it only had a few spots, certainly not hundreds of them. Nowadays, it seems that chicken pox is presenting itself in different forms, since most kids have been immunized against it.

Thd odd thing is, the spots are only on his upper body, where he would have come in contact with a shirt, but he wasn't wearing any new clothes, or anything.

Kris

trumansmom
06-05-2006, 01:05 PM
This has happened to DS a couple of times. I've never been able to figure out what caused it, but just assume he has some sensitivities/allergies I don't know yet. The bumps usually go away in 24-48 hours, but the dry skin left behind usually takes several days and LOTS of moisturizer.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

jayali
06-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Could be Roseola (sp?). DS had it a few months ago. If it is, fever will start in a day or two and may last for up to a week. Usually low grade fever. The worst part of the entire thing was the crankiness. DS was VERY cranky for almost a week when he had it.

Hope your son is feeling better soon and that it is NOT Chicken Pox.

dhano923
06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Not to gross you out, but could it be bed bugs? I stayed in a hotel once and got bit by bed bugs and got a lot of tiny red bumps all over my upper body (back, upper chest, and arms). I thought I had an allergic reaction to something but when I went to a doctor she said it was bed bugs and it was more common than people think, especially in hotels. She gave me an cream to apply which helped with the itching.

dhano923
06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Not to gross you out, but could it be bed bugs? I stayed in a hotel once and got bit by bed bugs and got a lot of tiny red bumps all over my upper body (back, upper chest, and arms). I thought I had an allergic reaction to something but when I went to a doctor she said it was bed bugs and it was more common than people think, especially in hotels. She gave me an cream to apply which helped with the itching.

o_mom
06-05-2006, 02:18 PM
If it is CP, you will know in a day or so. They become fluid filled blisters that really look unlike contact dermatitis or bug bites. DS1 got them even though he was vaxed and even through there were fewer spots, they looked exactly like DS2s spots (unvaxed).

Globetrotter
06-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I appreciate all your replies! It looks like it's spreading, which probably rules out contact dermatitis/allergies, I imagine.

Since he has no fevers and seems in good spirits otherwise, I don't think it's roseola. Never thought of bed bugs - yikes!! I don't think it's that, either.

The pedi. did say his throat was a little red. Maybe it is chicken pox, after all.

Kris

cara1
06-05-2006, 04:27 PM
FYI, in Roseola, the fever comes before the rash, not the other way around.

pritchettzoo
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
It could also be heat rash. DS just had something similar that we thought was roseola, but it seems like it was heat rash instead. My mom said I was the same way when I was little, and he seems to have my complexion.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

jesseandgrace
06-05-2006, 05:26 PM
My kids had a virus with a rash a few weeks back, looked like chicken pox but the rash only lasted a day or so before beginning to dry up, dd didn't have a fever, but they did throw up - you could be seeing the same virus.

kochh2
06-05-2006, 05:35 PM
ITA, so many times a rash is just the body's way of riddign itself of a virus... like a fever, it's kind of a good thing, a way to get it out.....

lisa56308
06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
If the spots are small (pinhead size) and raised so that it feels a little like sandpaper, he may have a scarletina rash from strep. Tyler just had this last month. He had no fever and his throat looked fine. The doc almost didn't do the strep test but I mentioned Jake had strep about a month previously. He tested neg on the rapid test but the culture came back positive. Good luck and hope it goes away fast!
Lisa
Jacob 6/95
Tyler 10/03

babyready
06-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Wow, this is so crazy that you posted this. DD has developed a rash on her knees that spread to her legs. I did lots of searching online about rashes (askdrsears.com had pretty good info) and although it really seems like a contact rash I haven't completely ruled out Chickenpox. I think I will know by tomorrow if it is Chickenpox. We just took her in for a fever last Thursday (had some ear pressure and a red throat but no infections) but she hasn't had any fever probs since Friday and the spots appeared Sunday (yesterday.) We're just waiting and watching.

It is very interesting. I assumed I wouldn't really have to worry about Chickenpox because she has been vaccinated. And like you, heard they were very mild cases with just a few spots. She has several.

Globetrotter
06-05-2006, 10:56 PM
WOW

I just googled it and his spots look a lot like these (scarletina rash).

His is like the third picture (on the right) though with fewer spots.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/bacterial/scarlet-fever.html

She did say his throat looked a little red, but he's been eating okay, no fever. No strep in the past (unless I'm forgetting something!). I'm going in to my regular ped. tomorrow, and I will mention this. Thanks.

BTW, I must say I could NEVER be a dermatologist, as I get sick looking at some of those photographs!!

Kris

brittone2
06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Well, I'm sure you are relieved to have an answer. I remember I had scarlet fever w/ strep once when I was little.

I hope your little guy is on his way to recovery very soon!! Thinking of you.

lisa56308
06-07-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm glad I could help! I never knew you could get a rash with strep until my oldest got strep (with the rash) for the first time. Now anytime I see "the rash" I know a strep test is in order. I hope your ds gets better fast!
Lisa
Jacob 6/95
Tyler 10/03