PDA

View Full Version : eczema

megs4413
06-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I posted here last week about a dry patch on DD's scalp/forehead and it has gotten MUUUUCH worse. Despite my best efforts it's almost her entire head now. I'm not sure what to do about it, but I am sure it is probably eczema. Does this merit a trip to the ped? She will be going in in about a month for a checkup and vaccinations, but I'm concerned about the sudden onset and the rapidity with which it seems to be spreading. Can babies have cradle cap when they are over 1? Any advice is appreciated!

brittone2
06-05-2006, 01:17 PM
I know I constantly rally behind probiotics like a maniac, but there are some exciting new studies showing it can help eczema quite a bit. It might also be worth keeping a journal/log to see if there's any chance it could be a food allergy, as the link between eczema and food allergies is not uncommon.

There are lots of mamas here with first hand experience w/ eczema, and I'm sure they'll have some great suggestions. You could always call the ped and see what they have to say.

FWIW, if they prescribe Elidel, read up on it first. My friends' little girl was RX'd Elidel for a very mild case of Eczema even after the warnings were issued. That's a very expensive and IMO risky drug to be RXing for a mild case. Just a head's up in the off chance they choose to RX it.

megs4413
06-05-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't even know what probiotics are. I definitely would not use the elidel....i just don't see how something that drastic could be necessary at this point....DD has had several food allergies already and I am keeping an eye out, but since this has been going on for so long (about a month) and is getting worse it would have to be something i'm giving her all the time....it started around the time we switched to whole milk.....i'm using lactose free whole milk....do you think it's possible that it's a milk protein allergy? She was on soy formula as an infant.

brittone2
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
If it conincides with the whole milk, if it were my child, I'd try an elimination diet. I know that's a huge PITB but I'd cut out all dairy (and if it is a milk protein allergy you even have to look for hidden sources IMO, as any little bit could trigger it) and see if it improves. There are tons of hidden names and places dairy hides in foods.

Probiotics are beneficial bacteria, like acidophilus in yogurt. If you take them in powdered form, they are more potent than what you'd get in yogurt. You can find them in the refrigerated cases at Whole Foods or health food stores. I like Baby Jarrow for little ones. I am *fairly* sure it is non dairy (I'll double check for you) but even if it isn't, there are probiotics that definitely are. Probiotics are known to be very safe, but a lot of docs IMO don't know a ton yet about how they can help eczema, etc.

If you want to do any reading, you can try looking at www.pubmed.com and do a search for Eczema and Probiotics, etc. If you don't want to register, I can look up some abstracts for you. I believe there are a few studies showing probiotics may help w/ food allergies too.

Food allergies and eczema can both be linked to what some people call a "leaky gut." I don't know a ton about it but it is something I've read a little bit about. That's why probiotics can be helpful from what I've read.

I'm not sure if you have any interest in reading over at mothering.com, but there are some good threads over there on healing the gut (under the Health and Healing forum) that talk about food allergies and probiotics, leaky gut, etc. and you could probably find some good info on how to cut out dairy completely for a while to see if there's any change.

HTH.

ETA: name of forum to find the healing the gut thread at MDC, and also to say that I emailed you a bunch of abstracts about probiotics, food allergy, and eczema :)