PDA

View Full Version : how naive am i?

shilo
06-05-2006, 01:13 PM
ok, to tag onto the target post- are there REALLY video cameras in dressing rooms???

i'd heard there were video cameras in dressing rooms before, but always followed by "that's illegal" or "that's just an urban ledgend" etc.

so i guess that's my question. are there REALLY places with video cameras in the dressing rooms? if this is really the case, does that mean there are miles and miles of footage of naked women trying on bras and bathing suits out there? how about the other less than above board things that i'm sure go on in dressing rooms all of the time?

i can't imagine all of the legislators out there would ever go into a dressing room knowing this was the case? ugh, how naive am i being???

lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

mariza
06-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Imight be wrong, but I beleive it's only illegal if they don't warn you upfront. Usually there is a sign stating that the room is being monitored by CCTV. It's been a while since I've used a fitting room (Online shopper now), but I remember the ones in Macy's posting signs like that.

bcky2
06-05-2006, 01:23 PM
i went into a dressing room once to find out that it was a big semi-circle of "rooms" with no curtain or anything up with a chair in the middle of the circle where someone sat and watched to make sure nobody would steal. needless to say i didnt try anything on or buy anything at that store. it was a major clothing chain, i just cant remember which one.

kijip
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Laws vary from state to state. It is not a federal issue. In WA state, NO cameras are allowed in the individual dressing rooms, just in the hallway leading to the dressing rooms. Stores are not allowed to film the changing rooms themselves. This creates an issue though in that in order to "prove" theft or intent to steal the store has to have had a witness or a camera of the actual act. So if a store represenative sees something going into the dressing room but not coming out they still can't stop the shoplifter unless they try and leave the store. So they put their focus into watching the doors.
But by the time the door is reached, the item is totally hidden.

Honestly stores lose way more to employee theft and to return fraud than to grab and run shoplifting though. The biggest issue with the dressing rooms in urban areas is honestly what illegal activity they draw. My husband works downtown and it is not out of the ordinary to kick druggies out of the dressing rooms. Or worse, to find used condoms or messes. :(