PDA

View Full Version : how much money is too much money to spend on clothes?

elephantmeg
06-05-2006, 07:06 PM
OK, I know that this is dependant on how much you make etc but I just dropped a lot of money (for me) on clothes today. My crazy aunt from Texas was visiting and got me into Eddie Bauer and the rest is history. She paid for some of it but I still paid a fair amt. The clothes are great, useful and totally cute... so help me feel better (or encourage me to return). Also, suggestions for cheaper clothes like theirs are also welcome!

deenass
06-05-2006, 07:12 PM
I've often found that better made clothes (usually more expensive clothes) tend to fit better and last long term therefore I get more use out of them, so the cost is "amortized" over the length of use. Not to say that I don't love my Old navy clothes, but I do find it worth it to spend more on pieces I really like and can get a lot of wear out of.

elliput
06-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I really despise clothes shopping as I am very pear shaped, but when I do shop I usually end up spending a couple hundred (or more). And it is a several hour adventure, since I try on tons of stuff. All the while, I hear Trinny and Suzanna's voices in my head going over "the Rules". :-)

But how much is too much - I'm not sure. I haven't reached my threshold yet. :P

ohiomom
06-05-2006, 10:06 PM
When the credit card company calls your DH and asks if he knows where the credit card is!!! Honestly, this happened about 8 yrs ago when we had lots more $$ to spend. I had changed jobs and desperately needed a bunch of nice work clothes and spent a pile on some classics like slacks at Talbots and Ann Taylor, etc. Oh how I miss those free-spending days. They are SOOOO long gone it isn't funny...

Nicole's Mom 7/03
Joshua ^|^ 5/05
Baby Girl! EDD 7/29/06

tarahsolazy
06-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I say keep the clothes! Eddie BAuer stuff is nicely made, and should last several seasons. I find if I really try to cheap out, the stuff looks like crap after three washes.

Queensgirl
06-05-2006, 11:50 PM
ITA! If you're going to get good use out of the clothing, then it's worth it.
Don't beat yourself up over it-think of it as a well deserved treat (that's my logic, even though it's tough for me to follow-I'm notorious for purchasing items & than regretting it!)
Did you have fun at least while you were shopping?
I find that's always a good way to tell if you really regret any purchases.

elephantmeg
06-06-2006, 05:22 AM
thanks ladies! I had a ball shopping and feel like an attractive person again, instead of a spit up covered mom who is juggling home and work and baby! I think I'm going to take a couple things back that I didn't like as much but keep most of it!

dules
06-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Keep what you love, return what you don't! But don't feel guilty if what you love is high quality and will last. I keep falling into the Old Navy trap and every summer I have to buy all new shorts, tees and tanks. Old Navy is super cute but as a grownup I'd like my clothing to last since I don't intend to outgrow it (lol).

Best,
Mary

KBecks
06-06-2006, 08:06 AM
When I was working, the most I'd spend is a two or three hundred on a shopping trip, and that's a big shopping trip that I might feel a little guilty about, depending on the usefulness of the stuff.

Now that I'm a mostly SAHM, my clothing budget is much reduced. I have a $500 budget for the whole year (and will probably go over).

KBecks
06-06-2006, 08:08 AM
There's 2 sides to that coin. I'm finding my clothes get stained and ruined more, so sometimes the more expensive clothing doesn't last due to use/abuse. It's a balance -- if a $10 target t-shirt gets stained, I'm much less stressed than if it were $20 -- $30.