PDA

View Full Version : Gentlest sunscreen for eye area & scar prevention...

rottiemom
06-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Well last night we made our first trip to the emergency room. The little guy took a header off of the back steps & landed head first on the edge of the driveway. That was the most sickening sound that I every heard and as much as time slowed down you think that I would have been able to grab him. The upshot is that he is FINE, no stitches, no discernable internal damage (thank God) but he is horribly scraped up & one eye is nearly swollen shut.

The dr said that once the scrapes heal we will need to keep the area protected from the sun. We do this anyway BUT wil have to be extra dilligent with the discolored areas. Now the worst area is right next to his eye and I'm baffled as to which sunscreen would be best for such a sensitive area. I've tried just about everything on my self over the years & pretty much all of them result in stinging eyes. Granted I wear glasses so that may contribute to the potential for stinging eyes.

So, any suggestions for a gentle sunscreen and some sort of scar prevention? Maybe a good vitamin E cream?

My poor little guy...he's still his usual self and I am SO thankful that he's OK. He even stayed still for the CAT scan (daddy rode along with him). The emergency room was filled with children last night. Not fun for anyone.

Diligently counting my blessings,

Nina

elliput
06-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry your DS is so scraped up! Poor guy! Here is a link to a recent no-tears sunscreen thread. http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=18&topic_id=30224&mesg_id=30224&listing_type=search

I think a hat may be a better option to keep the sun off that area while your DS is healing - that is if he will wear hats!

rottiemom
06-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Erica, thanks so much. I can't believe I didn't find that thread when I searched. I knew that sunscreen had to have been discussed here!

I can try a hat but they don't tend to stay on long. My problem is that he's in daycare 5 days a week and so I'd think that sunscreen would be easier for the providers to manage than trying to keep track of a hat. A hat that would most likely end up getting tossed off, or dropped, or fought over...

My poor little guy, he looks like Rocky Balboa all banged up & swollen but (thankYouthankYouthankYou) no stitches or other discernable injuries.

Nina

kochh2
06-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear your little guy got hurt :( Although Aiden has escaped such trauma yet, I am sure it is bound to happen someday (they joys (?)of raising children!!) but I wanted to tell you-- we always keep homeopathic Arnica around, which helps to reduce such trauma greatly... it is easy to give,and Aiden asks for it when he falls now, not even 2 y.o, so I know it must help!!
Also, they make Arnica cream which I imagine does not work as well... but in the interest of helping those areas heal better... it's worth a shot!! and totally harmless, as it is not "medicine" but a remedy to help the body heal itself....
Hope your little guy is doing better fast!!