PDA

View Full Version : OT~ need IPOD help: can any of you help me set up my *&^%$#@ ipod?

fauve01
06-07-2006, 10:11 PM
how do you have two ipods/two separate music libraries all on one computer? I am an complete computer idiot and can't figure it out. we can't be the only couple out here with two ipods and one computer, so hopefully someone out there can help me!

For Christmas, DH got the ipod that holds 30gb, and i got the mini that holds 4gb (i think those are the sizes). well he set his up right away with music from the CDs we own. i didn't set anything up because i was waffling, thinking maybe i'd trade mine in for one that had more space (it was a gift from my parents who got it at an auction--if only i could have changed it or sold it or something!)

anyway... now on our computer's external drive, there is the library of his music, and i don't want 90% of it. there's more music there than fits on my ipod anyway. so now i want to put my music on my ipod and have no clue how to do it. how do i put my cd's music on the computer? where do i put it? how do i put it on my ipod and not his? also how do i get the music i like from his library onto my ipod? every time i plug mine in i can't figure out what to do and it has all these prompts and i get nervous i'll delete everything on there already so i just unplug it and swear at it and figure i'll try again later. omg, it's so fricking frustrating. and DH just says "i don't know. no, don't put your music in my library because then mine will fill up with music i don't want." um yeah, welcome to my problem. makes me want to punch him. if only i had set up first and then he'd be having to figure this $&*% out!

can any of you help? are there any simple books or sites out there with easy step by step instructions?

btw, we have a three-year old Dell PC with windows 98.

TIA~

Anne + DD 10-03

fauve01
06-07-2006, 10:11 PM
how do you have two ipods/two separate music libraries all on one computer? I am an complete computer idiot and can't figure it out. we can't be the only couple out here with two ipods and one computer, so hopefully someone out there can help me!

For Christmas, DH got the ipod that holds 30gb, and i got the mini that holds 4gb (i think those are the sizes). well he set his up right away with music from the CDs we own. i didn't set anything up because i was waffling, thinking maybe i'd trade mine in for one that had more space (it was a gift from my parents who got it at an auction--if only i could have changed it or sold it or something!)

anyway... now on our computer's external drive, there is the library of his music, and i don't want 90% of it. there's more music there than fits on my ipod anyway. so now i want to put my music on my ipod and have no clue how to do it. how do i put my cd's music on the computer? where do i put it? how do i put it on my ipod and not his? also how do i get the music i like from his library onto my ipod? every time i plug mine in i can't figure out what to do and it has all these prompts and i get nervous i'll delete everything on there already so i just unplug it and swear at it and figure i'll try again later. omg, it's so fricking frustrating. and DH just says "i don't know. no, don't put your music in my library because then mine will fill up with music i don't want." um yeah, welcome to my problem. makes me want to punch him. if only i had set up first and then he'd be having to figure this $&*% out!

can any of you help? are there any simple books or sites out there with easy step by step instructions?

btw, we have a three-year old Dell PC with windows 98.

TIA~

Anne + DD 10-03

bubbaray
06-07-2006, 10:16 PM
I have a big ipod (no idea the GB) and a shuffle. They are "separate" on my itunes. I'm not exactly sure how I did that, LOL! I think I just hooked up the second (shuffle) and it created itself, I think.

I think you can create subfolders and install the songs you want there. So, you could create Anne's Pop, Anne's Rock, etc.. The only problem is that they won't auto fill, but sounds like you don't want that anyway.

HTH
Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

bubbaray
06-07-2006, 10:16 PM
I have a big ipod (no idea the GB) and a shuffle. They are "separate" on my itunes. I'm not exactly sure how I did that, LOL! I think I just hooked up the second (shuffle) and it created itself, I think.

I think you can create subfolders and install the songs you want there. So, you could create Anne's Pop, Anne's Rock, etc.. The only problem is that they won't auto fill, but sounds like you don't want that anyway.

HTH
Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

saleenl
06-07-2006, 10:22 PM
You will have one single library of music, that is, one iTunes Music folder. However, each person can create a playlist of his or her music (just the songs you like).

From the help files:
You can also set up iTunes to automatically copy only certain songs or playlists, or to allow you to copy songs manually. You may want to choose one of these options if you have more music on your computer than will fit on your iPod.

and

To automatically update your iPod, iPod nano, or iPod mini with only selected playlists, first connect your iPod to your computer. When it appears in the Source list, choose iTunes > Preferences and click the iPod button. Click the Music button and select "Automatically update selected playlists only," and then select the playlists you want to copy.

HTH!
Sarah

saleenl
06-07-2006, 10:22 PM
You will have one single library of music, that is, one iTunes Music folder. However, each person can create a playlist of his or her music (just the songs you like).

From the help files:
You can also set up iTunes to automatically copy only certain songs or playlists, or to allow you to copy songs manually. You may want to choose one of these options if you have more music on your computer than will fit on your iPod.

and

To automatically update your iPod, iPod nano, or iPod mini with only selected playlists, first connect your iPod to your computer. When it appears in the Source list, choose iTunes > Preferences and click the iPod button. Click the Music button and select "Automatically update selected playlists only," and then select the playlists you want to copy.

HTH!
Sarah

jhrabosk
06-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Oh boy...I figured out how to do this a year ago when we first had 2 iPods, but don't remember anymore. It was such a pain in the butt to set up and to maintain that I decided it was more trouble than it was worth.

I can tell you what I have done since then b/c we have a similar situation -- DH has a 40 GB iPhoto and I have a mini. We loaded up the library with all of our cds and we've each created our own playlist.

If you do a smart playlist, you can include or exclude all sorts of criteria...other playlists, genre, album, artist...and you can also limit your list to only a certain amount of music, say 3.5 GB. Then, you go to the options for your iPod (you have to do this when it's plugged in) and pick which playlists you want. (I don't have iTunes on my computer here at work, so I can't tell you the exact menu choices you need...sorry.)

HTH! Let me know if you need more details!

SquamLake
06-08-2006, 02:48 PM
You can also set up two logins on your computer. Each login will have its own iTunes.

tarahsolazy
06-08-2006, 03:25 PM
We have two iPods. All the music is on one computer. But DH and I manage the iPods manually, instead of updating automatically. That way we can store more on the computer than fits on the iPods, and we can have different music. Its not a high-tech solution, but it works well for us.

Lynnie
06-08-2006, 08:35 PM
if you figure it out, will you send some good ipod vibes my way ? wasted an hour and a half uploading songs. they made it to my computer, but my computer did not recognize my stupid ipod and i couldn't transfer them over. grrrrr. sorry to hijack, i just wanted to say I totally feel your pain !!!!!!!!!!!

fauve01
06-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure what you are saying yet, but when DD goes to bed tonight, I'm gonna try and figure this thing out. either that or smash it out the window. LOL. DH and I do have separate sign ins, so if we each have separate itunes, that's good right? now i just have to figure out how to get the songs from the library to my itunes. it's probably quick and painless and i'm making it way too hard, as usual. sigh.

Anyway, THANKS for all your suggestions!

Anne

SquamLake
06-09-2006, 11:02 AM
DH and I have separate logins and it works just fine for us. I was even able to put music from old MP3 player library on to my iPod. I must admit though that most of the technical stuff my husband takes care of. Let us know how you make out.