PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers with glasses

mommd
06-08-2006, 06:30 AM
So I took Ela to the eye doctor yesterday because she was getting crossed eyed sometimes. I found out she is VERY farsighted (for those who know about glasses, her prescription is +6.5 in the right and +8.5 on the left) and her left eye is underdeveloped because of it. I had NO idea her eyes were so bad and feel bad because I didn't notice.

Anyway, so I have to get her glasses. How on earth do you keep glasses on a 2 1/2 year old? What should I look for as far as frames, warranty, etc? Any advice? Thanks!

kedss
06-08-2006, 07:17 AM
I worked at a day care where one little girl had to wear glasses because she had a very lazy eye. She had a strap that held them on, but I know she broke quite a few pairs and sometimes forgot to put them on after naptime. She was 2+ years old.

I would suggest getting a pair she really likes and a couple of cheap back ups if you can. They make some frames now that are very flexible and if they work with the lenses I would try those out.

Big hugs, mama!

JBaxter
06-08-2006, 07:50 AM
my sister ( now 31) had glasses at about 2. Her vision was so bad she LIKED to wear them. Mom used to tell that she would just sit and look at books for hours grinning because she couldnt see them before. If I remember right the ear pieces curved around the back of her ear to help them stay on better. She even had to wear a patch on one of the lenses for a while ( that mom said she had to tape on)

cbm
06-08-2006, 08:26 AM
A friend's daughter had to have glasses at 10 months because she couldn't see very well. She had the same concerns as you about keeping them on, but the baby never tried to take them off. We figured she really needed them.
Just wanted to send some encouragement.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04