PDA

View Full Version : Tips on using the Miracle Blanket?

KrisM
06-08-2006, 09:20 AM
We've been using the Miracle Blanket at night. I find it really hard to get on her. Trying to get her arms down and then the flaps wrapped and under her back is hard - I need a few extra hands myself! Are there any tips to make this easier to use? Or does it just get easier with practice and with a less floppy baby?

sidmand
06-08-2006, 09:37 AM
I ended up liking the Miracle Blanket (although we didn't use it very long), but found it MUCH easier to use the Swaddle Me by Kiddopatomus at first. I don't know if it was the learning curve on swaddling, or new, tired parents, or a floppy baby, but it was so much easier to use that at first. After a few weeks we got the hang of the Miracle Blanket and switched over, but it definitely took some time and some learning curve.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

jhrabosk
06-08-2006, 10:19 AM
We never used the Miracle Blanket, but were big fans of the SwaddleMe as well. Had them in cotton, jersey, fleece...you name it!

missym
06-08-2006, 10:51 AM
It does take some practice. DH is much better at it than I am (yes, we are STILL swaddling at 8mos). Once you get it figured out, though, the MB is terrific for a nice, tight swaddle.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want a penpal for your BBB kiddo? Send an email to:
[email protected] **

wencit
06-08-2006, 10:53 AM
I tried using the Miracle Blanket when DS was a newborn and didn't really like it. The receiving blankets just worked better for me. However, when he outgrew the receiving blankets, I noticed the twitching in his sleep would startle him awake, so I recently tried using the Miracle Blanket again when he was about 8 weeks. It works much better now, but I still don't worry too much about the arm flaps being perfect, as long as they're not too tight.

NatalieM
06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I totally agree with Missy. DH was also better at it than I was. We used it until about 7 months or so. He would kind of hold one of DD's arms in place with his forearm, while he swaddled the other arm (if that makes sense!) After a while though, just the sight of the MB would settle DD down. She loved it and so did we! HTH

randomkid
06-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Another vote for SwaddleMe and regular blankets. I had a Miracle Blanket, but DD was so tiny that it was huge on her and I could never get it snug enough. By the time she was big enough to actually fit her, I was no longer swaddling her. I sold it on eBay!

kristine_elen
06-08-2006, 11:25 AM
I thought the MB was OK, but I really preferred just a huge square of cloth. I would also sometimes use a safety pin to keep it secure.

maestramommy
06-08-2006, 12:39 PM
AGree with some of the pps. I didn't really use the Miracle Blanket at first. Dd was just too tiny, and it didn't really keep her in. We used small receiving blankets. Later when she filled it out more it was great! We used it until 5.5 months.

jenjenfirenjen
06-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I used the MB on Luke so maybe that makes it easier this time. One trick that makes it easier for me to get the arm flaps under him easily is to dress him in a gown...then I can use the bottom of the gown to lift his tushie up and slide the arm flap under.

FWIW, we started with Swaddle Me but DS1 outgrew it really quickly. I find the MB to be much better.

bunnisa
06-08-2006, 03:20 PM
It's warm here so lately I have DD in just a diaper when I swaddle her. But I have swaddled both her and DS when they were wearing onesies or sleepers. I've never had trouble wrapping them.

Here's my method:

I lay DD down on top of the open MB, wrap the left side "flap" over her arm and lift her up by her feet so that I can tuck it beneath her (making sure it lays flat). I do the same for the other arm. Then I tuck her feet in, and cross the right side (smaller) flap across her. I pull the left side (longer) flap taught across her body, and roll her onto her side and pull it across her back. Then I roll her back onto her back and pull it out from underneath her.

HTH!

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

KrisM
06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the tips. We've been using a regular blanket lately and now she just struggles until her arms are free. If she is completely asleep, I can get her to stay in, but if she wakes at all, she frees herself. I'm going to try the MB again tonight. She seems to sleep better swaddled - she just doesn't realize it :).