PDA

View Full Version : Newborn nasal congestion?

proggoddess
06-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi, all,

DS seems to be congested quite a bit in the last two days. He'll often sneeze 3-5 times in a row and sometimes he wakes up coughing or gagging. After nursing, I can hear that there's some mucus caught in that post-nasal area of his throat. I've tried the aspirator, but nothing comes out. Once, he did sneeze out a booger. I've never seen a newborn with boogers before. No fever, he's not cranky or fussy at all, and he doesn't spit up.

He's too young to have seasonal allergies, right? Anyone have any home remedies? My mom suggested a humidifier. And I tried some saline spray this evening with some success.

I'll call the ped tomorrow, but in the meantime I wonder what will make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance!

Wife_and_mommy
06-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Yes, DS had that funky congestion for at least a few weeks. I wondered what was up too! I don't remember DD having it.

It's fine. I also used the saline spray. You can also use breast milk.

congrats to you! :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

wimama
06-09-2006, 01:57 AM
My little guy is five weeks old. He sneezes 3-4 times in a row too. (Of course I sneeze that many times in a row too.) My pediatrian said that was the way the clear out thier noses, since the can't blow them. He occasionally sounds a congested, but does not sound congested all the time. After crying one time did have a booger come out of his nose. If I remember correctly he started sneezing on his birthday (if not the second day of life). Joseph never seems uncomfortable though, and is able to feed and breath well.

I think/hope that this is normal for some babies. I hope this doesn't mean he has or will have seasonal allergies.

If you are concerned he might be sick definately call the pediatrician.

proggoddess
06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for your replies! We did call the ped today and the nurse said not to use the bulb aspirator, as it just irritates the nose and causes more mucus to be produced. Whodathunkit?

Breastmilk for nose drops... I think I remember reading about that in a magazine somewhere... Thanks for the reminder.

heidiann
06-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Jill always sounded congested to me when she was a newborn and would sneeze like crazy. I did take her to the ped. and she said that ,that was just the way for them to get rid of the mucous and whatnot in their nose. I used saline drops and an aspirator just about everyday on her. Also if she sounded to bad when she was napping I had her in he carseat so that she was somewhat elevated.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

JTsMom
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
DS used to wake up some morning sounding like he could barely breathe through all of his boogers. I found taking him in the bathroom and steaming it up (turn the shower on as hot as it will go and close all of the doors) helped a lot. I also had a lot of luck with the saline sprays.

Occassionally, he would sneeze out HUGE boogers. I couldn't believe it.