PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had hypospadias corrective surgery for DS?

BargainMomforLuke
06-09-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone has had corrective surgery for hypospadias. DS is quickly approaching his surgery date (he's 8 m/o) and his mama and papa are REALLY dreading the surgery and the catheter he'll have to wear for two weeks. :-( :-( :-(

I'd love ot hear your stories. If you feel more comfortable e-mailing me, that would be fine.

Thank you!

Natalie

trumansmom
06-09-2006, 10:29 AM
(((Hugs)))

I don't have any info for you, but wanted to let you know I was thinking about you. DS has a very mild hispospadias, but didn't need surgery.

Let us know how it goes.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

thomma
06-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Natalie-
Ds had his hypospadias (with severe chordee) repair done almost 2 years ago when he was 13 months old (it was postponed several times because of ear infections). What would you like to know? I'm more than happy to share our story but don't want to bore you with too many details...I tend to babble! :)

I remember dreading the surgery so I think I know how you're feeling right now.

Kim
t&e 5/03

MrsZaz
06-09-2006, 06:57 PM
My DS had his repair surgery at 8 months also. We found a great Pediatric Urologist and now describe it as "the best surgery he could have had for the type of surgery he had to have" KWIM. In hindsight, we were fortunate that our DS was delayed in sitting up till after he had the surgery. For the first week they aren't suppose to have much activity -- no carseats (or limited), no strollers, no bounce seats -- nothing between there legs. We propped him up with pillows on the floor and played with him alot. Lots of videos when needed. Here are some things that helped us:

1) Have a supply of Tylenol on hand -- we gave it to him every 4 hours for 24 hours (after gettting out of the hospital).
2) Have a supply of bacitracin on hand -- need to apply with every diaper change (for some reason I felt the need for a brand new tube for 'that area' even though I had some in the house.)
3) Have a supply of Balmex ready, once the catheter was removed we need to apply this after every diaper change to keep the are moist.
4) The way our surgeon tapped up the catheter it was positioned up toward his belly button -- this lead to A LOT of diaper changes because it would come right out the top of his diaper. So.... we added a maxi pad to the waist band of his diaper to absorb the excess liquid. This worked great for us (My husband's idea).
5) Make sure you have some onesies to put on him - our surgeon recommended that in case he tried to stick his hand in his diaper.
6) Lots of comfy, loose clothes to wear!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me czaslow @ earthlink .net (no spaces).

Hope this helps - Good luck.
Colleen