PDA

View Full Version : Poisonous Plants

kimbe
06-09-2006, 12:41 PM
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/poison/poison.html

Since DD and the neighbor kid are starting to play in the yard, I went online to see if Lily of the Valley was poisonous (I thought it was and now I have confirmation -- sigh) and I found this list of poisonous plants. There are LOTS of plants on the list that are in our yard that I had NO IDEA could be so harmful. Goodness gracious MORE to worry about!

Just wanted to pass along this website. Hope that this helps someone!

ETA: These are the common plants that are poisonous --- there are lists out there of ALL of them though.

jgriffin
06-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks for posting this Kim! We have lots of oleander in our backyard, which I knew was dangerous (not sure what we'll do about it when E is older, but we're okay this year). I didn't know elephant ear was so dangerous...and we've got a good sized one in our den! Yikes!

Jen

randomkid
06-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks for posting! I knew about several of those already, but azaleas? I had no idea and they are very common here in Central FL!

cbm
06-10-2006, 11:50 AM
I grew up with many oleanders. I never ate them or touched them. I think the best thing to do is to supervise when your child goes in the yard and to talk to your child about staying away from them and whatever other plant may be dangerous.

On another note, I lived in Florida for a while and I thought it was weird that some people would burn oleanders on the beach to make one of those huge camp fires.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

jgriffin
06-10-2006, 03:51 PM
That's our plan for when E starts walking, I think. The family that lived in our house before us had a couple of young children, and they never seemed to have a problem with it. And they're so pretty, I'd hate to get rid of them.