PDA

View Full Version : Can you stand another Mama needing sleep advice??

Emmas Mom
06-09-2006, 02:05 PM
For those of you Mamas who are ok with tummy sleeping...When do you consider it ok? My little DD has been rolling over onto her tummy for close to a month now & I get so nervous when I see her sleeping that way in the middle of the night. I've been turning her back over but that tends to wake her up. She's a terrible sleeper & I'm not sure if I should just leave her on her tummy. I need to try something....anything to get her to sleep more. As it is she's waking me up close to every hour. She doens't even want to eat 1/2 the time, she just fusses & wakes herself up crying. :( I'm at my wits end cause she really, really doesn't seem to feel the need to sleep...night OR day! She's a happy baby but I'm very concerned about her lack of sleep habits. When she's tired she fusses if you rock her, fusses if you lay her down & leave her alone, fusses if you pat her back or bottom, fusses in the swing, fusses if you try to give her a pacifier, just fusses, fusses, fusses! HOW do you help your little ones sleep?

sidmand
06-09-2006, 02:10 PM
No expert here, but I would leave her on her tummy. Especially if she can roll to her own tummy. I think that is the general rule--if they can do it themselves, it's definitely okay to let them. We spent a couple of days turning DS back over just because he wasn't happy when he found himself on his tummy. We quickly gave that up because a) we were getting tired! and b) we figured if we kept doing it, he wasn't going to figure it out.

But if she's happy there and sleeps better that way...I would let her...

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

bcky2
06-09-2006, 02:16 PM
i would also leave her on her tummy. my ped said once they can get there on their own then it was fine to leave them there if i wanted to. if it gets you a little bit of sleep then i would do it.

jenjenfirenjen
06-09-2006, 02:19 PM
I agree with PPs. I never put DS down to sleep on his tummy but once he rolled over onto his tummy on his own, I left him there.

overcome
06-09-2006, 02:42 PM
I put my DD on her tummy at 4 months and she did sooooo much better. It changed our lives!

I had to come to terms with the SIDS factor in my own mind and then after that on her tummy she went and on her tummy she has stayed!

Good luck!
Ashley

saschalicks
06-09-2006, 03:08 PM
I agree with all of the other PPs. I now lay my DS on his tummy since I know that's where he'll wind up anyway. I did that with DS#1 and the change in sleep habits was just tremendous. Good luck.

psophia17
06-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Once DS could reliably roll onto his back, and from his back onto his front, we retired the little bumper thingies that kept him from rolling around from birth.

He still sleeps on his belly every night...

Tondi G
06-09-2006, 03:42 PM
At 4 months if she is turning over herself I would leave her that way! We started putting DS#2 on his tummy at 2 weeks of age! He slept so much better that way and I regret not having the courage to do it with my 1st DS!!!!! Some people/babies are just naturally tummy sleepers!!!!

Good Luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

shilo
06-09-2006, 07:26 PM
ditto the pp. once he could get himself there in the crib, i let him (normal super firm infant mattress). the only thing i did differently was to not let him be tummy down on the occasions i brought him into our bed b/c it's a pillow-top mattress.
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.