PDA

View Full Version : Everyday Minerals and super-dry skin

mommy111
06-09-2006, 07:23 PM
I've just started wearing everyday minerals make up, I have dry skin to begin with but my skin's been super-dry since I started using EM. I tried using moisturizer under, but that didn't help really and the foundation caked on in a truly disgusting manner and sank into all the creases on my face making it look terrible. Anyone out there with the same problem and what would you do? I love the look of EM so far and so I don't want to stop using it if possible.

brittone2
06-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Maybe try a damp application? There is info about it on some of the mineral makeup sites. I've been doing that for more than a year now.

Basically I just spritz a flat top brush with a little water, and then swirl in the makeup and buff in. It takes some time to get the hang of it but for me it goes on better.

Also if it is sinking into your creases, you may be using too much. You really only need a tiny amount of MM. Most of the time when I've seen people post on boards about it settling too much into lines, the experts tell them to try using less and see if it looks better.

For cleansing and moisturizing, this sounds weird, but I use virgin coconut oil to do both (you can google OCM or "oil cleansing method") and that keeps me moisturized much better than any other routine has in the past.

Just some things to try :)

mommy111
06-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Beth, thank you, my grandma(!!!) used to swear by coconut oil and lemon juice but I never thought to use it. Come to think of it, she had the softest, loveliest skin into her later 70s. I'm off to google the oil-cleansing method :)
Thanks again.

mommy111
06-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Beth, everything that I come up with on the oil cleansing method mentions oily skin. For dry skin, do you actually apply the oil and leave it on, or do you wash it off and re-apply for moisture?

brittone2
06-09-2006, 08:54 PM
I think it works for all skin types, but some people have to play around with what oils they use (jojoba, olive oil, coconut oil, etc.). Some oils make some people break out, but most people can find several oils that work well for them.

When I was really doing well I would use coconut oil as a makeup remover/face wash. I'd massage it into my skin for at least a minute or two. Then I'd use a washcloth and sort of steam my face with it. Then I'd rinse really well and pat on just a tiny bit of oil afterward.

I think you want to make sure you wash it all off first as that gets all the grime off, and then if you want the oil for moisture, just reapply a little bit with your fingertips.

How awesome about your grandmother! I wasn't sure I'd like the OCM but it has worked really well for me. It took some time to find an oil that I liked and my skin liked, but for me it works better than most of the expensive cleansers, and I love that there are no parabens, pthalates, or other yucky ingredients that I try to avoid.

mommy111
06-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the answers Beth, I guess this means a trip to Whole Foods where I love shopping anyhow...yaaay!

brittone2
06-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Have fun! If it isn't working well right away, try tweaking the oils you use before you give up. Some people just have problems with one or two particular oils but the rest work fine for them...you just have to find the right one or the right ratio of several :)

Coconut oil and olive oil can both be used for cooking so at the very least, you can stick them in your pantry if they don't work for you ;)

I've heard of people liking jojoba, apricot oil, castor oil, etc. as well.

mommy111
06-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks Beth!

Toba
06-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Sorry for hijacking, but Beth, I vaguely remember you mentioning something about parabens and PCOS. Am I remembering wrong and crazy? If not, could you explain more please?

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

brittone2
06-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Well, there hasn't been anything shown specifically linked to PCOS that I know of, but parabens and phthalates (both common in cosmetic products) are both known hormone disrupters. Parabens have been found in the tumors of breast cancer patients, but at this point in time no one has shown they are the "cause" of anything in that department. They are thought to be estrogen mimickers.

Since my hormones are already screwy enough thanks to PCOS, I just try to avoid as many hormone disrupters as I feasibly can. Parabens are in tons of moisturizers, cosmetics, soaps, lotions, deodorants, shampoos, etc. Phthalates are more difficult to ID from an ingredients list as they often are part of "fragrance" for example. Phthalates are also common in plastics. There was a study that came out last year showing that moms that had higher phthalate levels in their bloodstream (but still well within the typical range of most Americans) were more likely to give birth to boys with penile deformities. They may disrupt thyroid function as well.

Here is a different view of the study:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-para.html

My personal concern is the number of products that we use multiple times a day for years and years, and what the cumulative effect of that is on our bodies.

Since it is related, here's a link to a study that found an increased risk to the genitals of boys when their moms have higher levels of phthalates:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157882,00.html

Another article (interesting quote or two from the CDC)
http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/Commentary/News/2002/2002-1016-BGlobe-avoidphthalates.htm

http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/Commentary/News/2003/2003-0529-Guardian-wildlife.htm

Edited to fix typos

MamaKath
06-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Beth, I as going to post about the same problem as the op and was hoping you would have some good suggestions! :-) I was reading this last post and wanted to ask a different question. What cleansing products do you use besides the OCM for your face? Hair, body? My ds had a penile deformity and I have thyroid issues.

One of my summer break goals was to redo many of our products for cooking, eating (both kids seem to be reacting to dairy and I think maybe wheat) and cleaning. Any thoughts or links on how to start some of that?

I am sorry to hijack. Beth thank you for any info!

brittone2
06-11-2006, 01:45 PM
All I'm using on my face now is straight up coconut oil as makeup remover, cleanser, and moisturizer. It works better than anything else I've used in the past and it is nice to have one product that can do all of that :) For hair, I use baking soda and vinegar in between washes with my shampoo/conditioner, which has been Aubrey Organics for a while. I actually just found a new one I *really* like from the Naked Bee but I've only use it twice now so I can't report on long-term yet. The tube is small but it is very concentrated so you are only supposed to use a little bit. Some companies sell shampoo bars (like Burt's Bees) but I never had much luck with them. There are supposedly some really great WAHM shampoo bars (you could use this w/ a vinegar rinse to condition), but I haven't tried anything other than Burts.

For my body I'm back to just using a handmade oatmeal soap that I buy locally. It doesn't have any yucky ingredients.

Terressentials products usually get very safe reviews. A good website to check out various products (ingredients, their "risks", etc.) is:
http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/search.php?main_cat=HAIR+CARE (this link will take you to hair care, but they have reviews of skin care products, makeup, nail polish, baby products, etc.)

HTH :)

MamaKath
06-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks Beth!!!! Your previous post really had me thinking today. My hormones are completely off, and I am not sure it even occured to me that some of the body products I use could affect that. It makes perfect sense that they would though. That website is very enlightening!! Thank you for sharing it. I read a Mothering article a bit back about bath products which was more geared to cancer than the hormone aspect, I think they listed this site as a reference maybe. Anyway, you rock!!!

PS- I have been meaning to thank you for recommending GCM's on here. I have been lurking (though I feel like I am ready to post there, especially timewise) but it really has changed many of my thoughts on things, has been a wonderful source of various information, and has given me much hope. Wanted to let you know that it touched someone's life because of your rec. :-)

brittone2
06-11-2006, 10:58 PM
That was such a kind thing to say :) I learned about GCM here from some other mamas (and unfortunately can't remember who it was that clued me in, but I'm forever thankful) but it has changed my life and my views on a lot of things too :) I'm so glad you've found it helpful as well!

I hope that you can find some bath/body/etc products that make you feel more comfortable. I've only made the switch in the last 2 years, mostly in the past year or year and a half. I just gradually replaced products with better or healthier options as I could (for the most part). I don't think it will make my PCOS substantially better, but if anything, it has to help slightly IMO. For all I know, my PCOS could be due to things *I* was exposed to in utero, kwim?

Again, thanks for the thanks...so unexpected and sweet of you to go out of your way to say what you said.

And a big thanks to *YOU* for always being such an amazing part of this community...you've contributed to much through the years and helped many a parent here :)

I'll be thinking of you with your son's evaluation process BTW.