PDA

View Full Version : *Update*Help! Ebay account problem

daniele_ut
06-09-2006, 10:44 PM
I just chatted with ebay help live and it turns out that it was real. The message is also in MyEbay. She was able to get my password changed, and I have now changed it again. I've also changed both of my paypal accounts and my bank account password as well. Ick, I feel violated!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got an email from ebay that seems suspicious, and I forwarded it to [email protected], but it seems that at least part of the content of the email is true. My password has been changed and not by me. I never ever click on links in any emails that might be spoofs, so I have no idea how this happened, but I don't know what to do now!!

Here's the email. It was addressed to my username, not my real name:

It appears the password for your eBay account may have recently become compromised. As a result
of this, we have reset your password and secret question.

To regain control of your account, please complete the following:

1. Change the password on your personal EMAIL account to verify that it is secure and cannot be
accessed by anyone other than you.
2. Change the password on your eBay account. To do so, click the "Forgot your password" link on
the eBay sign-in page and change your password using the instructions provided.
3. Follow the steps below to secure your account:
> Click on the "Security & Resolution Center" link found at the bottom of most eBay pages.
> Click on the "eBay Account Protection" link in the "Online Security Resources" box.
This will take you to the help page titled "Securing Your Account and Reporting Account Theft."
> Follow the instructions provided under "Securing Your Account".

As you take these steps, please be aware that you may need to repeat the instructions provided
above or use the "Back" button on your Web browser to return to the "Securing Your Account"
page.

We have provided some additional information below to explain how this may have occurred.

Unsolicited or "spoofed" email messages

There have been a number of email messages recently sent to eBay members asking them to click on
links and provide their user ID and password. These unsolicited or "spoofed" messages appear to
come from eBay Support, but in fact do not. eBay never requests sensitive information of this
nature via email.

Any email sent to your registered eBay email address from eBay that affects your account, or
from another eBay member via eBay’s member-to-member communication system, will now appear in
the My Messages portion of your My eBay page. If you receive a questionable email that asks you
to click on a link and it is not in My Messages, do not click the link or enter any information.
Forward the email to [email protected] and we will respond to you within minutes to tell you if it
was really from eBay. This also lets us take quick action on the fake website to help protect
other members.

To learn more about these fake or "spoofed" eBay emails, visit the "Security & Resolution
Center" link found at the bottom of most eBay pages followed by the "Stopping spoof emails and
Web sites" under "General Online Safety."

Password guessing

If you use a fairly simple or easy-to-guess password, it is possible that someone could guess it
after repeated attempts. For this reason, it is important to use a password that consists of a
combination of letters and numbers and is not related to your user ID, name, or anything you buy
or sell. It is also important to use different passwords for the various online accounts you use
(email, PayPal, etc).

Computer viruses

There are a number of computer viruses in circulation that log and record keystrokes. It is
recommended that computer users keep their virus alert software up-to-date and regularly check
for operating system and web browser updates. A firewall for high-speed internet users is also
highly recommended.

Any inquiries regarding your password or other information about your account can be sent to us
by clicking "Help" on any eBay page and then selecting "Contact Us."

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc

randomkid
06-09-2006, 10:59 PM
It seems very suspicious to me. You didn't click on the [email protected] link, did you? It seems that whenever eBay or Paypal notify customers of these things, a new fake e-mail comes out referring to that information.

I have gotten several of the fake e-mails and forwarded them all. Mine have actually been fake Paypal e-mails, but they were very similar to the one you posted. The replies I have gotten from Paypal tell me that any real message from them would be addressed to the name on your account, not your e-mail address. The fakes would say Dear soandso@hotmaildotcom. The real messages have my full name. After forwarding several of them, I haven't been getting them anymore.

Personally, I would contact eBay about the password thing to notify them of it immediately and ask what you should do. Can you access your account at all?

daniele_ut
06-09-2006, 11:06 PM
No, I didn't click any link in the email. There were no links in it, in fact. I forwarded it to [email protected]

I got a fake paypal one just yesterday and forwrded that one as well. Right now, I can't access my ebay account at all.

Saartje
06-10-2006, 12:04 AM
>There were no
>links in it, in fact.

That's the easiest way of telling a real eBay or Paypal notice from a phishing attempt: eBay and Paypal do not put links in their emails. If there's a link in it, it's a phishing attempt, and the link's going to take you to a (possibly very real-looking) fake site where they hope you'll input information.

ErinMC
06-10-2006, 04:48 AM
NAK

I just changed all of my passwords as well - ugh. The only thing I've done on ebay recently was sign up for the unwiredbuyer.com promotion. Any chance you did this too?

Erin

Mom to Chase 2/2004 and Logan 5/2006

daniele_ut
06-10-2006, 08:29 AM
YES!!!!!!!! I did the unwired buyer promotion as well and was just coming to ask if anyone else had the same issue. I suspected that immediately. Grrr.

ErinMC
06-10-2006, 01:32 PM
ACK - I was afraid you'd say that. I hope no one else had the same issue ....

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
... and Baby Logan! May 20, 2006

ethansmom
06-10-2006, 06:00 PM
ya, that would be me....

gordo
06-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Happened to me too after the Unwired Buyer. I just emailed Unwired Buyer, told them what happened, and asked them to delete my account. Haven't heard back yet.

jeniferrlynne
06-10-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't think we did the unwired buyer thing but we got the email and I had to get a new password. My husband thought it was because we got in at the beginning and our password was only 3 letters? I don't know. Either way we now have a new password.

urquie
06-12-2006, 02:51 PM
could you tell me how you contactded ebay?

"I just chatted with ebay help live"

i'm having some problems and i'd love to talk to someone at ebay! tia