PDA

View Full Version : Slightly gross question about bloody show, send labor vibes

dogmom
06-10-2006, 03:18 PM
I apologize for TMI ahead of time. I can't seem to find a good source of information on this, so I'm turning to all you ladies. I'm due with my second this coming Friday. At 38 weeks I was 2-3 cm dilated, but not effaced, and the baby was high. At 39 weeks (yesterday) I was 3-4 cm and otherwise unchanged. My OB stripped my membranes, which he did with my first when I was not dilated at all. After the sripping I was a "good stretch out 4 cm." Something has definately changed since yesterday afternoon. I keep expelling bloody mucous. I sort of expected it overnight, but it just keeps coming, so It can't be the mucous plug because that's long gone. The only references I can find say something if you pass more than a few tablespoons one should be concerned about the placenta separating. (Can I convert that to ml? I would rather measure it in cc or ml that Tablespoons!) I don't have fresh blood, which I think is what they are talking about, so I don't think I need to worry about the placenta yet. I am having some contractions, but not regular. I just feel like crap and hope this means labor is coming real soon, because I would hate to feel this way for another week. My water has not broken, baby still moving. Back's killing me. I keep having to go the the BR every 30 minutes to an hour to either pee, pass gas, or expell mucous. This is just so different from the first time when I was not dilated at all and then just started with contractions at 1:30 am every 5 minutes. I just want to get this show on the road. I'm useless right now.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/16/06

cbm
06-10-2006, 03:41 PM
No clue. I would call the doctor.
I hope your labor starts soon.
Happy thoughts coming your way.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

buddyleebaby
06-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Wishing you a speedy, healthy labor- sounds like it's close!!!

Momof3Labs
06-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Stripping can cause you to lose the mucous plug (happened to me 2 weeks before going into labor, ugh). But it's not a one-shot deal - the mucous can keep regenerating so that it keeps on coming. But if you are continuing to see blood (not a lot, but streaks of some in the mucous) then it is probably from your cervix dilating further (the source of the "blood" part of bloody show).

Just curious, is the backache constant or intermittent? Methinks that Baby Eve is coming in the next day or two...

jenjenfirenjen
06-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Here's what they say in "Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn" by Peggy Simkin:

"If it is more mucus than blood, it is (bloody) "show." If it is more blood than mucus, or if blood is dripping out, it may be due to a somewhat larger blood vessel breaking. If so, you shoudl call your caregiver." They also say that bloody show is usually pinkish or bright red mixed with mucus while blood as a result of an exam or intercourse is usually brown like old blood.

FWIW, I had bloody show all day the day before and the day of my last labor. I'm thinking something will be happening for you soon. Sending labor vibes your way.

dogmom
06-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Backache is on & off. (hour on/ hour off) Same with contractions, on/off. I was hoping this is an indication of further progresss. The amount of new blood is rather small, so it's not concerning to me. (I've actually had a lot of practice estimated blood loss. It's really not a lot.) I'm hoping it's an indication of the baby coming down and effacement. I would love to go in the next 24 hours.

Jeanne

jeniferrlynne
06-10-2006, 08:31 PM
This happened to me. I had lightly tinted mucus when I woke up one morning and thought this was the beginning of my bloody show (which it could have been. However I worked at a garage sale that day ( aka on my feet) then that night I had bright red discharge which looked like quite a bit. I got nervous so we went in. They told me the baby was OK that it was a vessel and that my water had not yet broken but had me do a couple of walking laps. (FWIW I was barely dialated to a 1.5) 2 times around the hallway my water broke.

elliput
06-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Just sending labor vibes your way! {{{VIBES}}}{{{VIBES}}}{{{VIBES}}}

megs4413
06-10-2006, 09:38 PM
I lost my mucus plug and had the bloody show for 3 days after my doc stripped the membranes at my 37 week exam. I was 3 cm dilated for about 2 weeks. My water broke the day i turned 38 weeks. Hopefully, you're on your way. It sounds like it won't be long now...

ribbit1019
06-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Labor vibes on the way!! Hopefully you are pushing or cuddling right now!!
Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif