PDA

View Full Version : 2 Month Checkup Info

denna
06-12-2006, 06:20 AM
()()()()()()()()()()()()()(

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Last Thursday (the 8th) was DS's 2-month checkup he weighed in at a whopping 13lbs 9 oz and is now 24 inches tall!!! For those of you who may or may not remember he was 7lbs exactly at birth and 21 inches long! My how they grow!!!

We had a disagreement w/ the doctor about immunizations, we want to postpone them for a little while. Still not sure what we want to do. And of course he wasn't to happy about that. But what can I say.

Also I told the ped about my son's spitting up so much and he disregarded it and said as long as he is still growing and not losing weight he's fine. Well last night he spit up so much all over the floor/rug etc. And both time I changed his diaper (4 hours apart) it was barely wet when they normally weigh a pound. So I don't know what to do about that....

I just wanted to share that with everyone! I will have new pics in a couple of days!!!

mommyoftwo
06-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Some doctors don't like to do anything about reflux unless a baby stops gaining weight (like Linnea). However, if it seems to be causing discomfort, you should definitely persue getting it treated. When Linnea was first diagnosed, she was still gaining weight though slowly. However, she was miserable. Is the spitting up you described new? Could it just be a virus? Definitely follow your mommy instincts on this one. If your gut tells you that something needs to be done, then you should persue it IMO and experience. HTH!

newnana
06-12-2006, 08:47 AM
My approach to our ped is that he only gets to spend a few minutes with her and doesn't get to see the whole picture. Plus, we're first time parents and overly cautious about everything.

When I went back to work, DD wouldn't drink breastmilk out of a bottle and was doing a hunger strike at day care. We ended up supplementing with formula. She was much crabbier than normal but I attributed that to such a major change(heck, I was crabbier too). The ladies at day care kept commenting that DD had man size (and smell) toots and was wicked gassy. Also, she was extremely constipated and had rock hard stools. Poor thing would turn purple trying to go and it would be every couple of days. I had noticed the same thing but didn't know any better and thought it was a phase. We called and talked to the ped about it maybe being the extra iron she was getting in the formula in addition to the poly-vi-sol (still BF morning evening and night) making her constipated. They said that really doesn't happen. Again at the 5 month visit, same scenario. After the 6 month visit I was talking to some other moms and one recommended trying soy formula. I called the ped to talk about it and they said it couldn't hurt. Within 2 days she was right again. I was overjoyed that she wasn't in pain anymore but kicking myself profusely for not trusting my instincts that this wasn't right.

To summarize and overly long story: like pp said, trust your instincts mama. I unintentionaly let DD suffer for too long because the ped is fantastic, he couldn't see what she was going through. Go with your gut.

Michelle

cbm
06-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I posted the following website yesterday on another post. See if it sounds familiar:

http://www.reflux.org/reflux/webdoc01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/AboutGERD.htm?OpenDocument

If it does, take it to your pediatrician. If it is reflux, the baby can be given Mylanta at first rather than a heavier acid blocker. I would also point out what you just told us about the diapers being barely wet.

Edited to change the name of the medicine. Sorry, my brain is not quite the same :-).

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

brittone2
06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Wow, he DID grow fast!! :)

Good for you on following your instincts. You know your child best, so follow your heart on those decisions. Your ped works for you.

If you think there is cause for concern over possible reflux, etc. then again, I say follow your instincts. I'm sure the mamas here will have some great advice in that dept.

Congratulations!

mamato1
06-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I wanted to chime in that I switched peds over a similar type issue. I took my DS in at 3 weeks old for profuse spitting up. In about 20 seconds she diagnoses an ear infection and sends me on my way with a script for antibiotics. A week later he is still spitting up huge amounts and so I take him back in. After the nurse practitioner spends five minutes telling me about her own health problems, she tells me he is fine and to just give him some herbal tea!! WTF!!! I never set foot back in the place except to pick up copies of his medical records for the new ped. The new ped took one look at him and said he has reflux and prescribed him some meds. He was a different baby after that. I will never again have my concerns dismissed by my child's doctor. So, long story short, if you are worried about the spitting up call back and demand to be listened to.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

denna
06-13-2006, 12:44 PM
No the spitting up is not new, it has just gotten worse. his wet diapers arent nearly as wet and he doesnt need to be changed nearly as much. my worry is about possible dehydration. could he be allergic to dairy?

denna
06-13-2006, 12:49 PM
After reading this i feel more confident in following my instincts! my dh and i decided to try soy (cant hurt right?). ill let you all know how it goes :)!

thanks so much