PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find Ibuprifen suppositories for my sick son?

shoppinggal
06-13-2006, 07:39 AM
My 14 mo. old son has come down with a terrible fever and some kind of viral thing and has been burning up with 104 for the past few days. He kept gagging and throwing up anything taken orally so she had me get suppositories. You can get the acetaminophen ones over the counter but ibuprofen ones had to be custom made at a local pharmacy and cost a fortune and insurance wont cover it! My SIL says she gets hers when she visits her parents out the the country b/c they really have not caught on in the US.

Any suggestions?

pampamz
06-13-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm sorry I don't know about Ibuprofin ones -- but I have used the Acetaminophen supps. on my DS when he was in a similar condition.

Hopefully your son is on the mend soon. Does the ped have any idea what the problem is?

Sorry!

shoppinggal
06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
My doctor said that he really needs Ibuprofen right now. One of his ears didnt look so good and his throat was inflamed and looked pussy. She said to wait to get the fever down before trying antibiotics. And she said it was viral.

Today he threw up on me three times in Marshalls while I was waiting in line. I just hope it gets better.

phirey
06-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Look for a compounding pharmacy in your local yellow pages -- or ask at your local pharmacy -- they'll know where the nearest compounding pharm. is. They can make almost any drug into a suppository for you.

chlobo
06-13-2006, 08:17 PM
I guess my advice would be to go to the local pharmacy and buy the suppositories if the doctor is insistent that that is what you should use. Also, it might be best to stick close to home while he has the fever as any activity is likely to tire him out a lot.

kijip
06-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Find a compounding pharmacy and place your order over the phone. If you need a script for that, your doctor can call it in. I can't imagine that the generics made into suppositories would cost anymore than $100. Also in some states, your insurance is required to cover the compounding meds after the fact (ie after yo send them the sales slip).

Also, can your give liquid meds until you pick up the suppositories. I wouls be really reluctant to take a kid that is that sick out shopping...maybe a friend and run to the pharmacy for you.

Bethann31
06-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Was he feeling better today? Poor baby sounds so sick. Did he get one of those afternoon fever spikes they always seem to get when you think they are better. I can't imagine being out shopping with my little miss cranky-pants if she isn't feeling well.

You are a braver woman than I...

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20030604_4_Katherine+Grace+is.png

shoppinggal
06-14-2006, 04:33 AM
The doctor gave me a script and I had a pharmacy make them up for me (that's how I knew that they were expensive) and that's what I've been using but I was just hoping to find a cheaper alternative. You ladies are so resourceful, I thought someone would know where I could find them OTC. Thanks for the tip about some states needing to cover the meds - I'll call the insurance company for more details.

As for shopping - I live in Manhattan. Everything is just a few blocks away by foot. Plus it's not good for a sick kid or mom to be trapped in an apartment all day - we both enjoy getting out for air (baby more than me). So running an errand to pick something up is no biggie.

I think his fever is finally down (maybe 101 instead of 104 - he's not as warm, i have to check) but the poor kid has been crying all night and just thrashing around. I think his ear may still be the culprit. He keeps swatting at his left ear - but that could be b/c he holds his sippy cup with his right hand. And he's been pooping up a storm.

Needless to say we'll be visiting the dr. today. We may need to start him on antibiotics after all.

chlobo
06-14-2006, 06:21 AM
Well I can see going outside for fresh air but I still don't think its good for him or the general public to take him someplace when he might throw up on someone and he is obviously still very sick. A fever of 104 is not trivial.

dules
06-14-2006, 06:38 AM
ITA with Carren. :) I hope he feels better soon.

Best,
Mary

Marisa6826
06-14-2006, 09:09 AM
I can completely appreciate not wanting to be stuck in an apartment all day, but I'd also be hesitant to keep him outside while it's so humid (I live in NE Jersey, so it's the same climate).

Your DS's body will not be able to effectively cool itself in a humid atmosphere since his perspiration won't evaporate. If nothing else, it may raise his temperature.

I hope he's feeling better

-m

kijip
06-14-2006, 10:45 AM
ITA here. 104 degree temp and vomiting is a major deal for a kid. Also, I am sure you don't want to spread the illness around to others. As the daughter of a woman whose immune system is very weak due to disease, I can't stress enough that what is 1 child's short illness could become someone else's hospitalization with major complications.