PDA

View Full Version : Mildew & Shower Curtains: Tips?

Jo..
06-14-2006, 05:28 AM
I am sick, sick, SICK of cleaning our nasty shower curtain liner and am even sicker of buying new ones that claim to be "mildew resistant".

I occasionally take the entire curtain down and toss it in the washing machine, which removes most (not all) of the mildew, but that is SUCH a pain. I've tried lemon juice with minimal success. Are there any other EASY tricks I am missing?

Also, has anyone tried "The Traveler" shower curtain, which claims to be 100% guaranteed mildew-proof for LIFE? I’d like to know if it works before I shell out the bucks. If it’s really true, I’d pay double. Thanks so much for anyone’s help.

AngelaS
06-14-2006, 06:29 AM
I just wash mine when it starts to get icky. A few towels, a few tablespoons of bleach in the wash water and it's good to go for a while. :)

jhaud
06-14-2006, 08:19 AM
i wash mine in washer too... but, to minimize that PITA i try to use a daily shower spray after my showers (every other day). i am currently using the one by method (but there are many on the market)... also will occassionally use a mildew cleaning spray... but really hate having this in the house and try to use it when dd and i are out of house - i spray and leave dh to rinse and also leave fan running for very long time.

never heard of the traveler, sorry no help there.

jennifer

bostonsmama
06-14-2006, 08:37 AM
My tips:

Run the fan when you shower and open a door or window when you get out of the bathroom to let out moisture.

Spray walls and curtain w/ daily shower spray (I think there's a homeopathic version, like vinegar & water w/ some essential oil)

Make sure the curtain is closed all the way when you're done so panels don't stick together and create mildew.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. We have a 3/4 shower in the master and DH actually cut off the other 1/4 of the plastic liner so it wouldn't bunch up so much. If you have a half or 1/4 shower (tall and narrow), it's even more important to cut off the excess so that it's flat and smooth w/ no bunching across its width so it's straight when closed, even if that means only using half the rings to hold it. The fabric curtain on the outside does not have to be cut, though, b/c it doesn't get wet.

Seriously, this has cut our mildew problem to almost nil.

HTH.
Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

trumansmom
06-14-2006, 08:48 AM
We gave in. The mildew won. I buy cheap plastic liners by the boatload every time I'm near an IKEA and just change it everytime it gets yucky. Not very environmentally friendly, but it works. :(

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

momtoGandJ
06-14-2006, 08:49 AM
We use tilex mold and mildew spray about once every few months. It is so easy. Just spray it on the curtain (doesn't need to be taken down), let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse off with water. The curtain looks like new. no scrubbing involved.

Teresa

icunurse
06-14-2006, 09:02 AM
LOL We did, too :) Our mold and mildew problems are so much worse since our town switched to city water (which was supposed to make the problem better and was never a problem when I actually lived in the city). I will give the curtain one good cleaning and then end up tossing it the next time. I've heard the Mr Clean shower spray works well (you hang it on your shower sprayer and it sprays the whole shower when you're done), but haven't tried it personally.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

JulieL
06-14-2006, 09:19 AM
I read online you can wash a bath mat too (the kind in the tub), is this true? I knew about the curtain being washable, and it would be GREAT if I could wash the mat as well.

ctmom
06-14-2006, 09:53 AM
honestly, the dollar store...I usually just replace the liner every month and avoid any yuckness. Not great for the environment, but good for my sanity and wallet!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Jo..
06-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Jeanne, I was ROFL when I read your mildew concession post. I think I may trim it a little, as it does have a few folds even when fully open (thanks Larissa), and try the daily shower spray. If all else fails I'll buy several at the dollar store and swap them every month. It sure beats shelling out $15 for a nice mildew-resistant one which turns icky after a few weeks anyway. Thanks everyone for the great tips!

ETA: The Tilex mold and mildew spray looks good too. Adding that to my next shopping list!