PDA

View Full Version : Flying with DD with chronic ear fluid?

juliasmom05
06-14-2006, 07:53 AM
I realize that there was a similar question posted last week about flying with a DC with an ear infection but I still can't seem to answer my question. I've searched and searched but only seem to find info regarding ear infections. I can't speak to the doctor until Friday about this, but I am wondering whether we need to think about changing our vacation plans.

DD does not have an ear infection, but does have fluid in both ears, which she seems to have had intermittedly over the last 7 months. Is this going to cause her pain or something worse if we fly? Or I am just over anlayzing the situation because my MIL is overreacting?

TIA!

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

lmintzer
06-14-2006, 08:05 AM
My older ds suffers from chronic (non-infectious) fluid. It comes and goes but has been a problem for about 1 1/2 years. We are, in fact, getting tubes placed this summer, but that's another story.

We've flown 3X in the past year, and he's never had a problem or complained of any pain. I would ask your ped since your dd is a lot younger than my ds. Jack can tell me reliably how his ears are, and we would use Sudafed if it seemed he was really stuffy before a flight just to make sure.

It probably will be fine, but again, double checking never hurts.

juliasmom05
06-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks. We are getting tubes as well as soon as we can get an appointment. I've got a call into the ped, but can only talk to her on Fridays. I guess I just wanted to hear BTDT advice while I am waiting to hear back from the ped.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

Lynnie
06-14-2006, 09:26 AM
DS2 has had chronic fluid forever, too - it was a year before we got the first set of tubes, and we flew a few times before then, when there was the build-up, and he was ok. I'd recommend giving her something to chew on or a lollypop or something to suck on, but I think it would be ok.