PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever done KARAOKE?? And, what did you sing??

Corie
06-14-2006, 11:09 AM
I was just singing "Footloose" in the car and I was thinking
to myself that I could really rock the house if I did karaoke! :)

So, have you ever done Karaoke?? And, what did you sing?

By the way, I am the WORST singer ever! I would really need
to warn the crowd before singing and I should probably buy
everyone a drink when I am done!

Corie
06-14-2006, 11:09 AM
I was just singing "Footloose" in the car and I was thinking
to myself that I could really rock the house if I did karaoke! :)

So, have you ever done Karaoke?? And, what did you sing?

By the way, I am the WORST singer ever! I would really need
to warn the crowd before singing and I should probably buy
everyone a drink when I am done!

kimbe
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
My cousins had karoke at their graduation party and it was a blast. I have NEVER done it alone! However, me and three other girls, sang Carly Simon's "Your So Vain" and Stevie Nicks "Edge of Seventeen." We also sang back up for my sister who always does "Mustang Sally." I don't think that I could ever do it in a bar in front of strangers though....I would have to consume large amounts of alcohol so that A. I wouldn't know what I was doing and B. I wouldn't remember the next day! :)

ETA: Oh, I think that "Love Shack" is one of the best karoke songs ever. Me and the girlies did that one too!

It is a lot of fun. You should try it!

kimbe
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
My cousins had karoke at their graduation party and it was a blast. I have NEVER done it alone! However, me and three other girls, sang Carly Simon's "Your So Vain" and Stevie Nicks "Edge of Seventeen." We also sang back up for my sister who always does "Mustang Sally." I don't think that I could ever do it in a bar in front of strangers though....I would have to consume large amounts of alcohol so that A. I wouldn't know what I was doing and B. I wouldn't remember the next day! :)

ETA: Oh, I think that "Love Shack" is one of the best karoke songs ever. Me and the girlies did that one too!

It is a lot of fun. You should try it!

trumansmom
06-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Um, never sober. However, my signature song in college was "I Am Woman". I had so much fun until someone recorded it and played it back for me the next morning. I've never sung karaoke again! LOL!!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Queensgirl
06-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Remember-karaoke isn't "American Idol". Go up and have fun!
Really, if you have a good attitude & others see you're having fun, well, then, your vocal abilities don't matter.. That's the whole point!
I sang (if you can call it that) with a group "Rock Lobster" by the B-52s, the campier the better!
My DH loves karaoke and will sing eveything and anything, and knows all the lyrics (doesn't need the monitor-he's weird like that)-he sang A LOT of Lou Rawls.

bostonsmama
06-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Okay, so embarrassing, but I performed Amy Grant's "Good for Me" at a talent show (ala karaoke style...to a voiceless soundtrack) back in the late 80s. I even took off my hat and tossed it into the audience.

And to think...it's probably sitting somewhere in my parents house on video tape waiting to haunt me. :D

That's it. Karaoke is something I will never enjoy as an adult. My mother (for almost all of her life) was an opera singer and voice coach, so for years I would hear kids trying to sing to Britney Spears demo tapes on a karaoke machine and it makes my stomach turn to this day.

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

JacksMommy
06-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Two girlfriends and I did, once. We sang "I Will Survive" - a song we THOUGHT we knew the lyrics to! Turns out that's one of those where you know the chorus but not the lyrics. They go really quickly and bottom line, we couldn't keep up! We should have gone with our first pick, Eternal Flame by the Bangles. :) It was a bust, especially since we were stone-cold sober (big mistake!) but I'd probably do it again anyway.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

pampamz
06-14-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm a terrible singer, I won't deny it. I did do karaoke ONCE in university. Budweiser made me do it, IYKWIM.

I sang an old Tragically Hip song. Ruined it, actually.

kdeunc
06-14-2006, 12:18 PM
I can sympathize! In college some girlfriends convinced me to join them for Aretha Franklin's Respect. First of all I am no Aretha! I was trying to sing the verses and all they would do is "sock it to me, sock it to me" background vocals. It was horrible. Thankfully most of the bar was drunk and they didn't boo too loudly!! We did get a standing ovation we we joined one of our friends from Puerto Rico in a rousing rendition of "La Bamba" :)

aliceinwonderland
06-14-2006, 12:47 PM
I just did it last week! We sang "Oops, I did it again".

This is not a common occurance, though. My husband asked how drunk I was when I told him :)

ribbit1019
06-14-2006, 01:33 PM
OOH, well DH does it all the time and he is pretty good. He sings Garth Brooks really awesome and Billy Joel and Rob Thomas pretty good too.

The last time I did it I sang "Like a Virgin" for him on his 30th birthday, it was horrid. Of course I had his best friend from college and my sister helping me so hopefully they drowned me out a bit.

Once in college I was really drunk and I sang "Look at me I'm Sandra Dee" from Grease. Which it turns out I didn't know most of the words to, but DH said I did a good job for how drunk I was. Apparentely I was acting out the lyrics and everything. I vaguely remember getting a stand O from the crowd.

And I sand "More than Words" when I was like 12 at a fair. It was really bad.

DH is adding Karaoke to his DJ business because he has had requests for it and booked three gigs in the month of July just because he has it/is getting it.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://b3.lilypie.com/nlacm4/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

jgriffin
06-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Once, in public, and it was awful!!! I went to a bar/karaoke club with a bunch of girls from work and we sang a doozy of a song...Puff the Magic Dragon! Oh I am turning red just thinking about it. The patrons were not amused.

There is a karaoke game for the PS2 and Xbox (I forget what it's called, but it should be easy to find). I've done that before at parties and it's a lot of fun. I found it a lot less intimidating being in front of friends only, and not being able to choose songs that are inappropriate to sing in bars. :)

proggoddess
06-14-2006, 01:59 PM
I was in Kingston, Jamaica, on a business trip. My coworker and I had a few drinks and then got up and sang "Sweet Dreams are Made of This" by the Eurythmics. Very easy, only 2 verses and a chorus. We did all right, I suppose. There were some people there that were just amazing.

We checked out at 2am the next morning. While in line, this guy behind us said "Hey, you guys were doing karaoke last night, right? You were pretty good!" How embarrassing. :9 Oh well, it's not like I knew anyone there!

Corie
06-14-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm sitting here laughing at your song choice!!
Puff the Magic Dragon is such a downer song! I can't
believe that you weren't booed off the stage. :)

What made you and your friends pick that song?? :)

lmintzer
06-14-2006, 02:05 PM
I once sang Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" in a bowling alley! LOL!

Corie
06-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Did you make it through the whole song before they kicked
you off the stage?? :)

jgriffin
06-14-2006, 07:32 PM
It was one of the only songs we all knew, and (at the time) it seemed like it would be funny. Or something...I kinda don't remember why we picked it. I'm sure there was a bit of alcohol involved, though. :) We *were* almost booed off the stage, but we managed through it.

Corie
06-14-2006, 07:37 PM
You know that tape will re-surface when you run for office
someday!! :)

MichelleRC
06-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Ah, Karaoke. When I was pledging a sorority, we had to sing Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meatloaf (the longest song EVER!!) in front a bar-full of a guys in suits on a Thursday night. I also have a recollection of doing Walk Like an Egyptian another time. Scary stuff.

VClute
06-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Yes! I sang "Brick House," (my theme song) at a bar in Adelaide, Australia. Aussies had never heard of it, I guess, because everyone said, "Wow, that's such an AMERICAN song! When did it come out?" :)

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

hez
06-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Too many times to count-- some I'd prefer not to remember ;)

I'm sitting here trying to remember names of songs and realizing I was probably pretty drunk when these events occurred. Definitely remember singing "Brown Eyed Girl" with the girls when we went to the local biker bar-- we managed to harmonize :)

MelissaTC
06-14-2006, 09:47 PM
I sang "Last Dance" by Donna Summer. I dedicated it to my husband so everyone could see the embarassment all over his face.

I love Oxygen on Demand because they have some great karoake on there. The other day, I sang "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey and "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen. Matthew couldn't stop laughing at me.