PDA

View Full Version : Calling Bare Minerals experts (sorry, another m/up post!)

pampamz
06-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Ok, so I have my starter kit and I do like it, but am a little confused about some things:

1) Is the mineral veil to be buffed on or fluffed on?

2) Warmth -- I have reddish skin under the makeup. Is there a way to use this stuff as a blush? As an all over colour it makes me look like a clown. WTH(eck) do I do with it?

I know, I know, I should have just bought a la carte and skipped the warmth & extra shade of foundation! I have some True on the way from eBay so hopefully it will make me beautiful....

TIA!

bostonsmama
06-14-2006, 12:10 PM
If you want to use the MV, it's prob. best to fluff it on (flawless application brush, not kabuki). Yes, you can use the warmth for whatever you want. That's the beauty of it. I, too, look like Pink from her music video where she mocks the sunless tanner Hollywoodites if I dust warmth all over. Anyways, you're gonna love the True.

I bet you look great! Have fun playing.

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

shilo
06-14-2006, 12:12 PM
hmm, well, i don't use my mineral veil as an everyday 'finishing powder' so it's a little hard to answer #1. when i do use it, it is usually for special occasions or when i really need all day long staying powder, so i tend to apply it the same way i do my foundation for the most part. so i guess that means i'm closer to buffing than fluffing it on, but i probably take a slightly lighter hand to it than i do my foundation. as to #2, i also have pink undertones to my skin, so warmth doesn't really compliment my skin. i LOVE my true, so hopefully you will too. for both tho, i apply them more as a fluff, very sheer and light over the apples of the cheeks. once i'm done with the cheeks, i don't re-load the brush, and just lightly fluff anything thats left on the brush on my eyelids and 'sun zone' (T-zone) to give a hint of sun-kissed look to the rest. i'd just try barely dipping the brush tips into the little bit of warmth/true that ends up on the lid if you invert the container a few times before you open it. that way you end up with just a little bit on your brush. then you can add a little more if needed, but avoid the dark 'clown' look.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

karolyp
06-14-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't even use the MV, although I probably should as it might help with my oily skin!! But I'm thinking it should be fluffed on as you only need a little bit, and if you buff it on, you might end up using too much, kwim?

And I do use the warmth as a blush and eyeshadow (and sometimes even as a lip color too!!!). But just use sparingly as that stuff is STRONG!! Actually, now that I've been trying EM, I like their bronzer better, it's not so orangy. But I'm not sure if they ship to Canada.

On a side note, I was wondering if you were able to get samples shipped to Canada. Glad to hear you were!

pampamz
06-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the help -- I knew you ladies would come to my rescue. I will keep at figuring out the warmth until my True gets here. I know *Leslie* on the DVD said to use it as lip colour too, I wonder how that will look...

p.s. I bought some bisque & True off of eBay to avoid the Sephora crazy prices for Canadians! And a blush brush...so addictive...

tigeratty
06-14-2006, 10:12 PM
I am very fair, so the warmth, by itself, looks very 70s on me. I had it done at Sephora and I was like, "Omigod, Rhoda lives . . . "

I am not a tanner or a bronzer using person. I love the true and the glee. In the summer, I sometimes mix a tiny bit of the warmth in with the other colors as a blush. (And then I use the MV over it with the fluff brush.) I also like the rose radience and a few of the other blushes.

If you go on ebay, you can get samples of different blushes for cheap. Look for a 1/4 tsp sample of the blushes or all over face color. These seemingly small amounts will last for months. The ones I have gotten appear sterile and I have had no problem with them. It's a great way to try the colors before buying the regular size (that will last into the next millenium). You can also get new unopened products, like the foundations, and save a few bucks.

QVC is another option, with their generous return policy.

I don't love the eyeshadows. I find they crease, although the Well Rested is a fabulous color. Almost like an eyeshadow base.

I don't see the raves about the bisque as a concealer. I am better just dabbing the foundation heavily on blemishes with the concealer brush then buffing it out with the kabuki brush when I do the rest of my makeup.

Shari

pampamz
06-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks -- I almost went with the 1/4 tsp samples but the paranoid part of me thought it would be cut with some kind of crazy chemical or measured with someones spoon from breakfast (ok, a bit of an exageration!). I might try it out though -- is there a seller you have used that you like?

Is Well-Rested different looking then just using the foundation on your lid? That is what I've been doing so far...

Thanks again, ladies!

Globetrotter
06-15-2006, 10:59 AM
The MV should be fluffed on after the foundation, mainly to keep your skin from getting too oily. I tried the foundation with my MAC powder the other day, just out of curiosity, and it gave a more polished look without looking too made up (like the MAC foundation does). I love the natural BE look, but this also looked nice.

I found that I break out if I use MV directly on my skin (over moisturizer) or at least I think that's the reason! I first thought it was the heat.. but if I use it over the foundation I'm fine. I wouldn't mind finding another translucent powder that doesn't have cornstarch, if it exists.

As for the warmth, I have darker skin and it suits me to a T. The main thing is to use VERY VERY little, just a tiny bit. I put it around my cheeks, forehead, nose and chin, where the sun would hit. I wouldn't use it all over, though! I also put the MV over it to tone it down, and it looks really nice. BTW, I hadn't worn blush in about ten years, until I found this stuff. You might want to try another color, maybe?

Kris

pampamz
06-16-2006, 01:29 PM
>Anyways, you're gonna love the True.
>Larissa
---------------------------------------------------------------

Just got my True & Bisque in the mail. You are so right! The True is such a fun colour and I think it goes well with my skintone.

The bisque I haven't tried yet since I'm already *madeup* but I'm very happy already with these purchases.

I'm addicted...I want to try now the Camp & Hopscotch shadows but can only find the home-made samples and I'm still holding out for sealed ones.

Thanks again. Sorry to bore everyone with my makeup excitement...

Pam