PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about HSG (hysterosalpingography)

The Review Mommy
06-14-2006, 12:37 PM
I did a search of the past threads on this and know there are Mamma's that have gone through this procedure. I'm not sure what to expect and I would really appreciate it if you could share your experiences with me.

I'm pretty sure that its going to hurt (among other things)-which scares me, but it bothers me more to think they will find something and that all hope will be lost in an instant! My DH is not open to adoption. :( I pray they won't find such a thing but at the same time I'll feel completely *lost* if they don’t. I mean, what CAN you do if you don't know what's wrong with your body?

I would also like to hear about what was happening with your DH at this time. My DH isn't taking this road of infertility well. He gets angry when he hears people on the news mistreating their children...I wish he didn't have to walk through all of this with me-but obviously that's not possible.

TIA! :)
Rebekah

hez
06-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Hugs!

I haven't had one done, Rebekah, but folks here, there, and elsewhere have described them. The girls on the Yahoo group (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/) are a good resource, and the boards on Fertility Friend (http://www.fertilityfriend.com) are a good resource as well. FF is not free-- there's a fee if you want access to the boards.

On the DH question, mine is hanging in there. He's my rock, my devil's advocate, and steps up to whatever I need from him. It's not perfect, but I would have gone crazy a long while back without him. A coworker whose journey took 9 years reminds me that her marriage is amazing simply because they've had to work through all of this together. Silver lining, I guess.

Hugs!

dules
06-14-2006, 12:44 PM
First, are you seeing an RE?

Next, I highly recommend checking out the forums at www.inciid.org both for support and medical input. The folks over there were invaluable to me and I still stop in on my mommy board there.

After 6 mcs, unexplained diagnosis and one successful IVF, we never found out what was wrong but we have DD. :)

I wish you luck and strength. It's not an easy road.

Best,
Mary

P.S. I don't mean this to sound like you should not ask here, just wanted to refer you to another resource that you may find very useful as well.

jayali
06-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Rebekah,

I have had 2 HSG and got pregnant right after each one. The procedure itself is what I would call - uncomfortable. It really depends on your radiologist. My gynecologist, who had a couple herself, recommended 3 Advil prior to the procedure and then two after. The worst part is the opening of your cervix, so the more relaxed you can be (yeah right) the better off you are.

They didn't find anything wrong with me after each procedure, so my gynecologist just assumed that my tubes were blocked and the dye opened them up. I hope it is the same for you!

My husband and I were a sort of different story. Neither one of us ever wanted kids and then decided at 40 and 12 years of marriage that we wanted more in our lives then work. Anyway - we weren't really classified as having infertility, however, because of my advanced age when we decided to "try" my gynecologist decided to treat us aggressively. We did all of the classic testing - including my husband being tested. That was really the only thing he had issue with (of course)! You will find that going through this together will make your relationship much stronger.

My prayers and good pregnancy vibes are with you. Keep us updated on how things go!!

icunurse
06-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I had one done years ago. It was uncomfortable during one part, but my RE had me take an increased dose of Motrin beforehand, so I'm not sure if that helped. I have heard from a friend that if your tubes are blocked, it can be more painful.

I can sympathize with what you're saying - it would be much easier to see a problem and be able to fix it rather than continue with the unknown. If they find that you are structurally okay and the tubes are open, there are other tests that can be done to see if there are problems with ovulation, etc.

I'm very lucky in that DH supported me through it all. He was ready to quit and move to adoption any time I was and felt the same anger at frustration during our long process. But he was also the strongest person in my life when I needed it most, as it seemed to carry a bigger burden on me. As a PP said, we feel like our marriage can survive anything because we have been through so much and have come out of it even stronger.

Good luck to you.

Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

bostonsmama
06-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Oh my, I fear I could wax eternal about the woes of infertility and the stress it puts on a relationship, but perhaps I should just stick to the original question.

[Hopefully you've already read this. I just wanted to edit my experience so I don't scare you. We'll chat more on the ttc group.]

And finally, we'd love to talk more with you about your frustrations over at the BBB_TTC group. Email me if you're interested and I'll see if I can get a moderator to send you an invite.

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

The Review Mommy
06-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Heather,

I tried to get into that BBB Yahoo group but for some reason I was rejected. I haven't tried in a while, so maybe it’s time to try again. Still, I'm more comfortable over here on this board...I hope that it's still ok to ask. I just *KNOW* everyone here and trust them-which takes a long time to gain. KWIM?

I'm glad that your DH has been so strong...I'm definitely the one in my house! ;)

Thanks for the hug, it was felt. :D
Rebekah

bostonsmama
06-14-2006, 01:01 PM
We're the same people there that we are over here. We don't bite. And b/c it's more private, more ladies open up...so there's more love, hugs, and support than you could ever imagine.

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

alexsmommy
06-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Ditto what Larissa said. I think you'll get even more detailed info there since it's not as accessible to the public. Everyone is just as supportive, nice and honest - c'mon over!
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

The Review Mommy
06-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Mary,

Yes, I have been seeing an RE, for quite some time actually...I also have the TCOYF book and have been using it throughout my infertility process. My Doc *LOVES* it when I come in. DH says it's like watching a couple RE's conversing with one another. He is *VERY* proud of me and says he is glad that I have put so much care into trying to get PG.

Dr. Yoo was so impressed he went out and bought the book and is recommending it to his patients! :D

Rebekah

Lynnie
06-14-2006, 01:12 PM
At the risk of sounding completely uninformed, if this is the only "dye test" that there is to check the fallopian tubes to make sure there are no blockages, I had one, and the fact that I don't know what it was called, and don't really remember anything about it means that it wasn't bad for me at all. It was only five years ago, yet I have no memory of it hurting at all, and it showed that one of the tubes was a little stuck together, which the dye opened right up. And I was pregnant a couple months later with DS1, who just turned four. I vaguely remember cramping, but for me I know for a fact that it was no worse than the couple of times I have had to had cryotherapy on my cervix. I remember the cramping from those, and I really don't from this thing. And I remember the mamogram I had to have years ago, how that hurt, but, like I said, I don't remember this hurting.

I am not going to tell you not to worry about it, because that's impossible. But know that you'll be one step closer to knowing. Either by elimination, or by having a problem identified to tackle.

Hang in there, and good luck.

brittone2
06-14-2006, 01:16 PM
I had an HSG about 3 years ago when we were ttc DS.

For me, it wasn't very painful at all. Maybe some minor discomfort. I worked w/ two different REs while we were ttc DS (both in the same practice), and one was male, one female. The female doc did my HSG, and I remember her saying she uses extra lidocaine (topical numbing agent) to make it more comfortable for patients. She half joked that the male REs she knows aren't as generous with it, but she liked using a little extra. Maybe that helped?

They did have me do motrin or something similar beforehand if I remember correctly.

I had minimal cramping afterward, and my parents took me for the procedure and we went out to lunch, etc. afterward. I had some minor cramping for a day, but nothing debilitating or anything.

I was worried beforehand as I had heard a lot of stories, but honestly, it was not bad at all for me personally.

As far as the IF journey and how it impacts spouses, I could write a novel. It was one of the darkest times in my life, and it was so so very hard on my sweet DH. I sometimes wonder how we got through it. I made the mistake of not telling *anyone* about our IF issues while we were going through it, and that left DH with absolutely no support system. He eventually cracked and broke down at work to one of his best friends. Be sure your DH at least has the option to talk about it with someone if he needs to (I know, DHs aren't known for talking, and mine isn't either, but he was so sad himself, dealing w/ a wife spiraling into deep depression, and he didn't know what to do or say anymore).

In the end, I think our marriage is significantly stronger as a result, and not a day goes by with DS where we aren't *very* aware of how blessed we are to have him in our lives.

I hope the procedure is as comfortable as it can be for you, and hopefully it is step closer to a pg'cy.

The Review Mommy
06-14-2006, 01:22 PM
I emailed you Larissa! :)

dules
06-14-2006, 01:36 PM
It's nice that he likes the book. I'm a bit surprised that an RE is recommending it to his patients, though, since usually by the time it is determined that one needs to see an RE fertility awareness is most likely not enough to achieve pg.

Again, good luck and do check out INCIID.

Best,
Mary

TaChapm
06-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Rebekah,
I am sorry you are experiencing infertility problems. It isn't easy but you are in good company here!

The HSG does hurt. My doctor was really good about giving me a vicodin or some other pain killer to easy the discomfort during the procedure. It might be worth asking about because if you are more relaxed I think everything goes much smoother. I did have a lot of pain afterward for a day or two and some spotting.

If there is something wrong there are other options out there. I had 4 HSG's done. My first showed my tubes to be completely blocked. I had surgery to open them up and had 1 tube open from that which closed up 6 months later. From what my doctor said the surgery usually only lasts 6 months to a year. We did IVF once both tubes closed up again and got pregnant with our oldest son.

Overall I was told my chances of getting pregnant naturally were 1-3%. I had just had an HSG done and was told there was little hope when I became pregnant with Tyler 2 months later. Tyler is now a year and here I am 6.5 months pregnant again! I don't know what happened and I really don't care to have another HSG done to see what is going on with my tubes but somehow we have our babies.

THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE!!!

No matter what they say just don't give up on the dream. We had so many issues stacked against us and made it.

Infertility is hard on a marriage. Money was always so tight for us. I know it can pull a lot of couples apart but if your marriage is strong and you both really want it the prize at the end will be worth the struggle. My husband had a hard time talking about it with anyone but as long as he was there to support me and we could talk about our feelings we were OK. I actually think it brought us closer together.

Hang in there!

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! It's a GIRL!! Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

Toba
06-14-2006, 02:33 PM
I had one about four years ago. It was uncomfortable, but not painful. I had a bit of spotting afterwards (which I was warned could happen), but nothing bad. I felt crampy, mostly. A lot of REs will tell you that this procedure can "clear out the cobwebs" and a great deal of patients get pregnant after one (I did not). I also was advised to take a high dose of Motrin, which helped a little.

I have PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) and have had it, from what my doctors can figure out, since at least puberty. It took me eight long years, three well-respected REs and many, many cycles of fertility drugs/treatments to have our son.

My husband, in the beginning, was also diagnosed with a poor sperm count (actually, too great a number of his sperm were considered poor quality, not necessarily that he had too low a sperm count). He was devestated, but it turns out it was from all the medication he was on (he had gone through two back surgeries and was on all kinds of muscle relaxers, pain killers and nerve blockers) ... once he was able to stop all those, his sperm count was fine.

My husband has a pretty large family, and a great deal of first cousins all close in age to us. It was very painful to get asked over and over again why we didn't just have a baby already, or why we didn't just adopt. I had an early miscarriage about halfway through our TTC journey, and we didn't even tell anyone, just because it was too painful to deal with, plus being asked questions on top of it. To this day, there's only about three people that know about the miscarriage in our family. I will say that my husband is a saint and was always a rock when I needed him to be. I lost it many, many times while we were TTCing, and he always brought me back from the brink with his never-ending optimism. It's a very difficult road, but one, as I'm sure you imagine, very well worth it. :)

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

dmg222
06-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi Rebekah,

I'm in the camp of the HSG hurting a lot but it was really only during the process. The other ladies covered your concerns so I won't repeat but I thought I should chime in since we also saw Dr. Yoo (back when he was doing clinics with Dr. Garzo) We have unexplained infertility and as annoying as it is to not have a reason why we cannot get pregnant on our own, IVF is the option that helped us, so treatment CAN be done even if they don't know why.
I don't think anyone has mentioned RESOLVE but they also have a message board as well as local chapters for support. Feel free to PM me.
Best of luck,
Daniella

oliviasmomma
06-14-2006, 02:49 PM
I had one two years ago. As some other posters have mentioned, many got pg soon afterward--the theory is that the dye helps open up your tubes. I have PCOS, and the HSG revealed that I also have a bicornuate or divided uterus. I was pretty devestated afterward, because not only do I rarely ovulate, but then on top of that I only have half the chances because half of my uterus is inaccessible. (Sorry if TMI) Anyway, I became PG two months later and DD is now 1+! I have another friend in a similar situation who was told she would have to to IVF for DC #2 (like #1) but became PG after a HSG.

I wish my Dr had told me about the motrin beforehand because it was very uncomfortable. I also didn't like that DH couldn't go in, so I was alone. It is quick, though. Remember that even if they do find something, it doesn't mean you won't be able to conceive--it might even help!

jennifer_r
06-14-2006, 03:04 PM
I had only very minor discomfort during the procedure and I didn't take anything beforehand. However, it does bother some people. It's usually one of the first steps in the whole infertility/fertility process. I know one friend who got pregnant immediately after it she had the procedure; unfortunately, that wasn't the case with me.

Infertility is really tough on a couple. I became all-consumed with it, researching everything, trying everything, crying, etc. It's really good to realize that you need to do things as a couple and enjoy other aspects of life. At the time, my husband had to remind me that other than that major problem, our life was pretty good and that this shouldn't stop us from living the rest of our life. We made efforts to go to nice dinners, art museums, go away for the weekend, etc. But it was really tough emotionally - I had a hard time going anywhere where there were babies. And I can't tell you how many times I got upset when people asked me, "So, don't you want another child?" - even people who KNEW we were trying, like my DH's grandmother. I'm sure we're stronger as a couple after going through all that.

That said, I got pregnant with our second DD right away. Go figure!

Good luck and if you need any advice, feel free to PM me.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

oliviasmomma
06-14-2006, 03:08 PM
You're so right about people asking about more children. Every time that happens I cringe, because I feel so lucky to have one--but still yearn for another. I never know how to respond, I just say "god-willing" or something like that.

rclasco
06-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Rebekah,

I had an HSG a few months ago. My RE instructed me to take 800 mg of ibuprofen an hour before the HSG. I didn't feel any pain, but I do recall some pressure. I had no cramping but did have a little spotting for 1-2 hours. I kept taking ibuprofen the remainder of the day. My results indicated I had no blockages.

My husband has no issues about me seeing an RE. We both feel we have to do whatever it takes. I spent too many months spinning my wheels with my OB/GYN. Now we know we are doing everything we can.

Good luck.

KBecks
06-14-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm pretty sure I had this -- this is the one where they put dye in the tubes to see if they're clear? It's been a few years since I had mine.

It wasn't that painful that I remember. I believe they put a clamp or something on the cervix, which *you feel*, and then there is some discomfort and possible cramping from the dye injection.

Nothing that bad, in my experience. It's one of those things where you need to analyze all the possibilities of what might be preventing pregnancy, so then you can get on the right path.

I think if you have endometriosis, the HSG then hurts -- A LOT MORE. But I don't think you actually know until they're doing the procedure if the tubes are blocked -- and blocked tubes probably hurt while unblocked tubes dont.

Hope this helps!

hez
06-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Check your email!

The Review Mommy
06-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Wow! Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice-I wish I could reply to each one of your posts! Here are some questions/thoughts that have come to my mind:

Tara-Pain Meds: Advil, Ibuprofen, Motrin...I have some extra Vicodin in the house from a recent feet surgery (I know, a lot is going on with me right now) but I'm not sure I want to take it. How does it make you feel? I didn't think the Vicodin really did that much for me pain wise and it made me sick. I couldn't keep anything down so I started taking one instead of two. I was MUCH better but still hated the WAY I felt on it-I become weepy (really crazy, but not psycho killer or anything) and I felt like my brain was outside my body or something. Anyway...I'm not sure if it will help or not. Oh, Codine makes me feel the same way.

Larissa-what happened to your post-I didn't get to read all about your *wonderful* HSG experience. LOL! ;) Email me.

Beth-I will definitely remember to ask for a generous amount of lidocaine-thanks! My DH is pretty sweet too. We don’t really "talk" about fertility but it comes up enough that we have to. KWIM? If the charting, and Dr. appointments weren't enough it's always coming up when DH sees a baby-and he has to say something every time. We aren't keeping secrets or anything but the people in our lives have NO idea what we are going through. DH doesn’t have anyone to talk to other then me because no one he knows is in the same boat. We are both surrounded by lots of "blessed" ;) people our age and a huge family on both sides so they are all pretty clueless and DH can’t STAND talking to clueless people. lol! Everyone knows we are TTC and how long that its taking but we just tell them we are still being tested and don’t know anything yet-which is true.

Kimberly Anne-We both come from big families too. So we never thought we would have problems. We were married for 4yrs before we were ready to TTC and have been asked most of those questions, but in the beginning. No one could figure out what we were both waiting for. Um...a steady income, a great place to live, school out of the way, savings...I could go on and on-lol! When people started realizing that we were finally TTC they backed off, especially when we told them we were seeing fertility specialists. Most of them are quiet and don’t say a word but they seem extremely interested when DH or I bring up the latest.

Daniella-I totally *LOVE* Dr Yoo! He is so sweet, and genuine...you can tell this man cares about you and that he finds his profession fascinating. What a small world we live in hey? ;)

Diane-What, I was hoping that DH could be in there with me! :( Is it really that quick? I thought I read somewhere that it took 2-3hrs long?

Jennifer r-we have enjoyed being a couple thus far in our marriage. I would say we have a strong one; it's just that infertility affects us all so differently...We are always saying to each other that our life is so wonderful that we could not ask for anything more. We feel we are "blessed" in so many ways there is not one area we feel lacking and that being PG right now would be the "cherry on top".

The advice you gave to me is gold…I totally agree. It's one of those "hidden" type realizations you get in life. Like I've said before, we both come from huge families so we never thought of ourselves being in such a small family, but that's ok because we are happy with "each other" which not everyone has in their marriages. Including one of my Bros. I'm truly thankful for this! :)

Heather-I got the Email but I have to run, (graduation) well...ok-limp. ;) Thanks!

Rebekah

erosenst
06-14-2006, 08:00 PM
I had an HSG a few years ago. It wasn't bad at all (and I usually have trouble with anything that involves the cervix). My OB did prescribe Vicodin ahead of time - I would definitely take it if you have some.

As I remember, the test itself was only about 20 minutes - maybe not quite that long. I didn't have anyone with me - but I'm guessing if you ask, you can.

As far as DH - we were a little different than the "usual" IF couple, as we got married when I was 42. We began testing 2 months after we got married, and had the first RE appt 2 months after that. DH was very supportive, although he didn't completely understand how difficult the whole process (including a miscarriage) was for me. Fortunately, we succeeded on our first IVF attempt.

Good luck -

mommyagain
06-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Mine was not painful at all. Maybe some slight discomfort-kind of like period cramps that didn't last long at all. The whole thing was probably about 15 minutes. The radiologist was very gentle with me, though-- He was my DH! I didn't bother with any pain pills- they really weren't necessary for me. I was pretty worried about pain since a friend of mine did have a painful experience-but her tubes were completely blocked.

Like everyone else said-sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't. Try to hope for the best.

tigeratty
06-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Just to weigh in, mine didn't hurt. There was slight cramping when he inserted the catheter through the cervix, then nothing. I was dancing later that night. (I had taken the advil before).

The whole thing about it is that if you have a blockage, it hurts. But that's why you're having it in the first place - because you don't know if you have a blockage.

Best of luck to you.

mudder17
06-14-2006, 10:08 PM
I had one done just before becoming pregnant with Kaya. We had been trying for some time and my OB suggested it because of my history of endometriosis and having one ovary. Anyway, it was uncomfortable, with some cramping, but it wasn't too bad. It turned out there was "nothing wrong" that they could see and he told me that many of his patients became pregnant right after the procedure for a variety of reasons. In any case, the next time we did end up getting pregnant, so I guess his words were prophetic. I was very fortunate to not have problems this time around.

Definitely join the TTC people if you haven't already--they are a wonderful group of supporters. :)

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 27 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

dogmom
06-15-2006, 04:20 AM
Another no pain with either of my HSG tests, and I was sure it would be horrible before I had my first one. However, it is rather disturbing to have you legs spread wide open in a freezing cold room, cold prep material poured between your legs, and chatting with the tech you know from working in the hospital. I believe I spent most of my time complaining I had to do this while by DH got to look at porn with my permission so he could produce sample for sperm analysis for his portion of the fertility work-up. He maintained it wasn't exactly to his taste and I shouldn't view it as a bonus on his part. Needless to say I believe trying to keep a sense of humor about one is somewhat helpful. ;)

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/18/06

The Review Mommy
06-15-2006, 05:54 PM
I posted on BBB TTC! :)

Rebekah

alicia67
06-15-2006, 07:08 PM
I had an HSG done a couple of years ago. I found it to be completely painfree and quite interesting. I requested ativan from my doc prior to the procedure to help me relax and I think that has a lot to do with why it wasn't painful- I wasn't tense at all. I could see the screen and watch the dye go through my uterus and spill out the tubes.

Infertility is the worst- definatly a challenge to any marriage. DH and I spent ten years dealing with it before saying enough is enough and are now fostering with the hopes of adopting. Even though your partner is opposed to adopting now doesn't mean he will always be.

pixelprincess
06-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Just to add to what has already been posted by PP's. Be sure to take some painkillers before the procedure. My HSG was quite uncomfortable/painful and I hadn't taken any meds prior to the procedure. In my case, I had a blocked tube which made the procedure last forever!

Good luck and hope yours is pain-free.