PDA

View Full Version : When pregnant did you...

Babywhite
06-16-2006, 07:07 AM
DH and I are thinking about TTC again. With DD, I had a 'germ phobia' problem. I also was scared about using/being around anything. (It was really bad...) I know DH is concerned about this happening again, so I thought I would try to get some input before I need it. :)

When you were pregnant, did you...

Wear makeup and moisturizing products? (I use Clinique... do you think products like these are safe?)

Use your normal hair products? (I use a salon hairgel and hairspray)

Use normal soap products? (I use DOVE bodywash in a bottle)

Also, we do not have a great venting system where we are currently living, so I want to use safe cleaning products. (I'm particular now, but I want to do even better when TTC and when pregnant.) Is there a website or book that can tell me what natural products I can use to clean the toilets, baths, etc?

TIA for your info

R.W.

chlobo
06-16-2006, 07:14 AM
There is a website around that I'm sure someone here has the link for that rates skin & haircare products in terms of possible toxicity.

As for cleaning products I use recipes from Clean House, Clean Planet.

elliput
06-16-2006, 07:21 AM
I didn't do anything different while PG than before (other than not clean the litterbox) - used all my regular shampoos, soaps, lotions, cleaning products, etc. I don't wear makeup so I can't speak on that.

When PG the next time I will continue to use my normal products, except for house cleaning. :-)

janeybwild
06-16-2006, 07:47 AM
I also continued to use everything as normal (except for OTC medications). Is this something you could get help with professionally? I don't know your situation, but it sounds like you realize that you had/have a problem and are looking for info and help. Good luck.

pampamz
06-16-2006, 08:02 AM

Wear makeup and moisturizing products? >>> ABSOLUTELY

Use your normal hair products? (I use a salon hairgel and
hairspray) >>> ABSOLUTELY

>>> ABSOLUTELY

I avoided litter box/dog poo duty and did not colour my hair. That's it (except for obvious things like breathing in smoky air, gas fumes etc.).

brittone2
06-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Well, I normally avoid a lot of things like phthalates, parabens, etc.

When I was pg with DS I had already switched over to a lot of safer products, but still used a lot of more conventional cosmetics, etc.

In the past year, we've eliminated most of the stuff I try to avoid from our personal care products. I'm also pg again.

However, I don't live in fear...but I do what I can to eliminate the ingredients with which I"m not comfortable.

If it is impacting your quality of life and you are feeling fearful, etc. than it may be something to talk with someone about IMO.

We use natural cleaning products and there are tons of good books (Clean House Clean Planet as the PP said is great). Baking soda for scrubbing toilets, showers, sinks, etc., vinegar for floors and counters, etc. all work well.

This site lets you look up the ingredients and concerns with those ingredients in various cosmetic products. http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/?key=nosignIf you are interested in avoiding certain ones, most conventional products do contain parabens, pthalates (which are hard to detect as they are usually just part of "fragrance" unfortunately), etc.

buddyleebaby
06-16-2006, 10:03 AM
I use deodorant and my shampoo and once in a while mousse. i don't wear make-up.
I do develop a microwave phobia. EIther I won't use it at all or I'll push the start button and run away as fast as I can. My dh thinks it's pretty funny. I say i did it with dd and she's perfect, so why take chances with this one? ; )

aliceinwonderland
06-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Regular face products, but no retinol :)

Normal hair products, but all I use is shampoo, conditioner, and a leave-in thing. Normal make-up stuff, I know it's supposed to be bad for you on some level (I have a friend that keeps reccomending this book, but i am too tired and stressed to be further scared into action). Plus, Sephora makes me happy :) :)

Yes, normal, CHEAP soap products. I have an aversion for very expensive soap, though I do spend unrational amounts on other types of products (!!!)

All the house-cleaning products we own(I think??) are vinegar, Castille soap, and Method dishwashing liquid, (ETA baking soda too) :)

pampamz
06-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Actually, now that I think of it, I did develop a bit of Photocopier Paranoia. When I was at work and had to make a copy I would push the button, step away and then put my back to the machine, thinking it would do something wierd to the fetus....

Preggo brain!

AngelaS
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
I used all the same products during pregnancy as I did before.

jillc
06-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Ok, me too! I had forgotten that I used to do it until I read your post! Too funny. I'm sure I'd do it again this time, too, if I was still working. I do always try not to stand in front of the microwave, too. Pregnant or not. Can't hurt to avoid. ;)

Tondi G
06-16-2006, 04:52 PM
I used all my regular stuff... dove soap, suave shampoo... I don't wear makeup regularly. I am using Method cleaners now (found them when I was preggo with #2). I stayed away from the usuals... limited Tuna, no sushi, no unpasturized cheeses!

Worrying about every little thing will make you nuts.... if being preggo doesn't in the first place!!! :)

Good Luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

kijip
06-16-2006, 04:55 PM
>When you were pregnant, did you...
>
>Wear makeup and moisturizing products? (I use Clinique... do
>you think products like these are safe?)
>
>Use your normal hair products? (I use a salon hairgel and
>hairspray)
>
>Use normal soap products? (I use DOVE bodywash in a bottle)

Yes, yes and yes.

bostonsmama
06-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Many moons ago, when I was pg, I didn't do too much b/c I was pretty paranoid. I didn't really wear makeup, and I let DH do a lot of the more toxic cleaning (this was before I learned all my great tips and tricks from Eileen and Beth). Now that we've been ttc steadily for about a year, I've seriously limited toxins and pollutants in my environment. I've switched to organic produce and dairy (but not meat) to avoid pesticides & hormones. I use baking soda & vinegar as household cleaners plus Basic G, a biodegradeable enviro-friendly cleaner, and sometimes Simple Green or Orange Oil cleaner. I haven't changed shampoos, soaps or deoderants yet, but according the database Beth posted, mine only have medium risks. I wear mineral (BM) makeup and only rarely do eyeshadow or lipstick (but not b/c I'm concerned, I just don't have time). This is just what I feel comfortable with, but it does NOT consume me. I try as hard as possible to be relaxed now. It's probably the best thing I'll be able to do for baby. :) HTH

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

saschalicks
06-16-2006, 06:06 PM

Wear makeup and moisturizing products? (I use Clinique... do
you think products like these are safe?)
Yes, I use Bare Minerals. I didn't buy anything new

Use your normal hair products? (I use a salon hairgel and
hairspray)
Both pregnancies: I used all of my normal stuff. I even dyed my hair once (w/#2). I did it the week before my scheduled C-section with the doctors OK and then he wound up being born the next day. I was so happy we did it when we did. Sorry if that offends some people.

YES!

I even drank caffeine more w/#2 then #1, but I have to say there was some very stressful stuff going on at that time. I stayed away from alcohol, tuna, hot dogs and cleaning supplies.

On a side note: I was less obsessive the second time around. HTH

mudder17
06-16-2006, 06:07 PM
PP have already said what I would--the most important thing is to RELAX for your baby. :) I think with Kaya, I was nervous about things like pumping gas (and I try not to do it as much, but I don't completely avoid it if I need to pump), cigarette smoke (secondhand), aerosols, sitting too close to computer monitors (not laptops but the old CRT type ones) or TVs, and so on. I'm trying to be a bit more relaxed this time around but avoiding what I can and not stressing about the things I can't. To answer your particular questions, I don't wear makeup and I only use Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal lotion (did this when pregnant with Kaya and am still doing it now). I hate hairspray and gel, so I don't use those things in my hair. And actually, for the last 6 months, I've only washed my hair with Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar (with essential oils) for the rinse. So that's not longer an issue. I did skip the Dandruff shampoo with Kaya, though I think I did use regular shampoo and conditioner and soap. Now, if I have a Dandruff problem (and I haven't actually, since I switched to BS and ACV), I'll just use lemon juice. I use handmade soaps, most made by WAHMs, but that's just a personal choice to support WAHMs. Before, I think I was using Lever 2000. And as several people have mentioned, I use the homemade cleaners in Clean House, Clean Planet, which consists of mostly Baking Soda, Vinegar, essential oils, and Liquid soap.

I'm guessing that other than the household cleaners, you can stick to what you are using, but if you're really paranoid, you can always go "no poo" for a while and see what that does for you. :) I temporarily thought about giving up my soap and trying just BS and lemon juice or vinegar, etc., but I love my handmade soaps too much. ;)

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 27 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!