PDA

View Full Version : PG 37wks... Just HOW BAD is albacore tuna??

sadie_beth_1124
06-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Canned albacore was on my list of no-no foods because of mercury content that could cause developmental delays. But at 37 weeks, isn't most of the "developing" done?
I am dying, my mom made her famous pasta salad for a party last night (I'd forgotten to tell her I couldn't eat it) & she sent a bunch of leftovers home for DH. Now it's sitting in the fridge, taunting me. Looks sooooooo good. I guess I am looking for permission, LOL!

Lynnie
06-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, if you put her recipe in the cooking folder, then maybe its ok to have just a bite !

buddyleebaby
06-17-2006, 08:23 PM
I am one of those very cautious mamas too.
No nitrates, fish, caffeine, cold meat, etc.
But in actuality in moderation any of the above would probably be fine. Having a plate of pasta salad with tuna will not do something horrible to your child.
I know what you mean about it taunting you. Immediately after giving birth, I sent me dh out to get me a turkey salad sandwich and a tuna roll, both of which I had avoided throughout my pregnancy.

Jen841
06-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Don't throw daggers at me anyone... I am a firm believer that your body craves what you need. Just don't go overboard. I CRAVED tuna and had it once a week during both pregnancies. I cherished those sandwiches like some women cherish chocolate!

sadie_beth_1124
06-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Well, if that's the case, then I'm in trouble because there's 4 beers in the fridge that DH won't drink & they've been calling my name! LOL I won't go that far, I can control myself. I think I will nibble a bit on the pasta though. :)

Funny about the beer though... There's an older lady DH works with who told me about how when she was PG she got pretty bad edema (mine is annoying but not too horrible) & the doctors at the hospital gave her beer! Apparently it worked wonders and the swelling went down.

My first meal when I get out of the hospital will be a steak, medium rare. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ETA-- I never realized there was a cooking board! If my mom will give me the recipe, I'll gladly post it. :) Now I'm going to have to check out some of those do-aheads and get started on them...

cbm
06-18-2006, 07:47 AM
What's with the beer!
It called my name too while pregnant and judging from other posts, it has called other pregnant women as well.
How fickle is that beer! :-) :-)

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

daisymommy
06-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I really hate to admit this, but I ate way too much tuna with both Hannah and Josh before I ever heard the warnings, and they are both fine. It was the number one craving I had with them both!

dhano923
06-18-2006, 12:47 PM
At 37 weeks, I wouldn't worry about it. You're pretty much ready to give birth soon. At this point, the baby is already developed and just sitting patiently, gaining weight.

californiagirl
06-18-2006, 03:34 PM
I ate tuna when pregnant, and while breastfeeding, and I'd do it again. (I didn't gorge on the stuff, or anything but I had the occasional sandwich.) So you have my permission to have a little salad, in case you care.

On the other hand, mercury is toxic to the brain. That's nowhere near done developing at 37 weeks, because it's nowhere near done developing at birth. (That's why mercury is still an issue when you're breastfeeding.) The peak period for brain development lasts until 2.
So being 37 weeks isn't a free pass...

mamato1
06-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Moderation, moderation, moderation is the key! Chant it with me now! One plate of pasta salad with tuna will be just fine.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

pb&j
06-18-2006, 08:59 PM
I don't even like beer, and I *had* to have it while pg. I had a sip or two from DH's most nights after the 1st tri.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

sadie_beth_1124
06-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the tip, California Girl!
I did have a bit of the tuna salad last night (and it wasn't as good as I remembered), but I stayed away from the beer. I would probably not want anymore once I had a sip. I had some champagne (which I love) before I knew I was PG & it was such a turn-off! I had no idea why...