PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer Costco or Sam's Club- and WHY?

todzwife
06-19-2006, 02:59 PM
We are looking into joining a warehouse club but I'm unsure of which would be best. Any advice is appreciated. TIA!

momma_boo
06-19-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't even know if I have a Sam's Club near me, but I LOVE the wipes at Costco, can't beat the $15 birthday cake, their yummy muffins, great roasted chickens, etc.

Also, I've read that Costco has a good reputation for how it treats its employees in terms of pay and benefits. Whereas, Wal Mart (which I believe is the parent company of Sam's Club) has a track record that is less than stellar.

mamato1
06-19-2006, 03:18 PM
I don't shop at Walmart or Sam's anymore due to my dislike of their policies and political leanings. That being said, I really also just like the products at Costco better. I have been 100% satisfied with every Kirkland brand (Costco's in-house label) item I have purchased.

Costco is the best!

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

kijip
06-19-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't shop at WalMart. So I use Costco. I used to have to go further to get to Costco but now I live dangerously close to one. And they have stuff that I actually save $$ on- like pesto, single serve milks, my shampoo in mega size etc.

Ohhh, and a Costco tip- some have gift cards for other places at a steep discount. For example, I have bought many sets of $100 Harry and David gift cards there for $60! Gotta love that.

boolady
06-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Another Costco person here. I just like the layout and the way they keep the Costco near me better than Sam's Club (or BJ's)-- it's cleaner, neater, not piled so high, and they seem to keep more things that we use. It's the only time we've ever belonged to one of the discount clubs that I felt like we actually got our money's worth.

brittone2
06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Costco, hands down. We were Sam's Club members way back in the day, but that was because the nearest Costco at the time was over an hour away.

Like the PPs, we avoid shopping at Walmart, and for us this extends to Sam's Club. Costco has a reputation for paying employees better, providing better benefits, etc.

We eat mostly organic foods, and while Costco doesn't offer a ton of organics, we do buy organic peanut butter, hormone/antibiotic/nitrate/nitrite free sausage, organic salad mix, occasionally organic precooked chicken, and a few other select organic items that I'm glad they offer.

I like their non-food offerings better as well, and their RX prices are generally very good (our dog is on Prozac and their prices are so ridiculously inexpensive for the generic that it is unbelievable. We first started w/ the pharmacy at our vet's recommendation for the cost savings, as you don't have to be a member to use their pharmacy. From there we checked out the store and decided to join).

ribbit1019
06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Our costco is just plain better than our Sam's. Organic products, quality, and service drove us to Costco.

After being told very rudley by a Sam's employee that they NEVER carried an item (which was BS because we bought it there the month before) we decided to try Costco. We haven't gone back to Sam's once!

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://b3.lilypie.com/nlacm4/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

hez
06-19-2006, 03:48 PM
I prefer Costco 'cause I'm not a huge Walmart fan, and prefer not to put any money in their pockets if I can help it (as I hang my head in shame 'cause that was the only thing open at 12:30am in BFE KY when I needed to clean toddler vomit out of the van). It's a personal choice.

o_mom
06-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I like Sam's club better, but mainly because there is one on the way home from DH's work. We tried Costco when they opened up here and gave us a free 6 mo membership. I found a few things I liked better, but others that I couldn't get at all there (I don't remember exactly what). Combine that with a slightly higher membership fee and we stayed with Sam's. If there is something at Costco I know I want, I borrow a card from someone.

I personally think that Walmart problems are blown out of proportion and have never, upon further research, found anything that would make me stop shopping at Sam's club.

american_mama
06-19-2006, 03:53 PM
ETA: To delete some stuff that was just too snobby to leave in print.

I prefer Costco by a mile. Costco is a little more upscale in their products, maybe because it started as a club for small business owners who were usually upper middle class or more and had the tastes and pocketbooks to support that. Sam's Club started as a copycat of the Costco concept, and it spun out of Walmart which, as you know, is all about low prices. The customers and products at each store tend to reflect this demographic and philosophy. I say that based on my personal impression as well as an article I read two years ago about why Costco was doing so much better than Sam's Club.

Costco food products are more gourmet and more varied. For instance, last year at Christmas they had like half dozen offerings, various brands and sizes, of gourmet chocolates to give as personal or business gifts. I'm not sure Sam's Club would offer that selection. Costco offer food samples regularly whereas I think Sam's Club only does for special occasions (one food weekend around the holiday season or something like that). I love samples period, especially if I am considering spending $8 on an unknown product. Costco's toy selection seems to change frequently and often includes random excellent deals on name brands (the Ryan's Room collapsible playhouse, tent, and tunnel set at Christmas for less than $25 is one example).

The Costco brand (Kirkland) is often excellent and available in all kinds of products (water, cashews, suitcases, to name a few). I'm not as familiar with the Sam's Club brand and what products it's available in.

We only have a Sam's Club in my town and the first time we went, my husband and I were repulsed by the snack bar. It was dirty and the food was nearly inedible. I always enjoy the Costco snack bar; it's just snack food but it's good.

I probably sounds a little snobby, so I'll ask your question to my brother-in-law who is less snobby than me and shops regularly at both.

essnce629
06-19-2006, 03:54 PM
We are member's of Costco and I love it. I've never been to Sam's Club. When we move to Charlottesville, VA there is no Costco, only Sam's Club. Does anyone know if Sam's Club sells any organic foods? I love that my local Costco has a great selection of organic foods and every time I go back they've added another organic item :).

***Latia
Birth and Postpartum Doula

Conner 8/19/03 (homebirthed water baby)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months!

o_mom
06-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Just to provide some balance, in case anyone wants to know:
>
>Costco food products are more gourmet and more varied. For
>instance, last year at Christmas they had like half dozen
>offerings of gourmet chocolates to give as personal or
>business gifts. I'm not sure Sam's Club would offer that
>selection.

Yes, they do. We have gotten many gourmet gift baskets there - chocolate, coffee, tea, etc.

Costco offer food samples regularly whereas I
>think Sam's Club only does for special occasions (one food
>weekend around the holiday season or something like that).

You can't walk through a Sam's club on the weekend without getting samples. :-)

>Costco's toy selection seems to change frequently and often
>includes random excellent deals on name brands (the Ryan's
>Room collapsible playhouse, tent, and tunnel set at Christmas
>for less than $25 is one example).

I will say that the toys at Costco rock, and usually I make a trip there with a friend in late fall when the Christmas stock comes out.

>
>The Costco brand (Kirkland) is often excellent and available
>in all kinds of products (water, cashews, suitcases, to name a
>few). I'm not as familiar with the Sam's Club brand and what
>products it's available in.
>

They have all kinds of produts too. We regularly get Member's Mark (house brand) detergent, paper towels, diapers, wipes, water, etc. They also have alot of clothes on a regular basis - I usually get Carter's stuff there for dirt cheap and half my wardrobe comes from there. They also have other brands that I can't think of right now, but they are a more 'upscale' brand.

lisams
06-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Our Costco sales gift cards to the movie theaters and restaurants that are in the area. It's not a huge savings (probably $5) but still a few bucks saved, and they're great gifts too.

tarabenet
06-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Costco, all the way. We love it. Our Costco is much cleaner and more organized than any Sam's around and offers a much higher quality range of items. Plus their "Kirkland" brand products are as good as national brands or better, in everything we've tried. I refuse to go in Sam's ever since I went in a Costco, and we ended up just letting our Sam's membership fade away.

cmdunn1972
06-19-2006, 04:08 PM
The Costcos that I have had experience with seem much nicer and better organized than the Sam's Clubs that I've been to. With Costco, I don't feel like I'm at a WalMart, but just buying in bulk.

My impression is that Costco is to Sam's Club as Target is to WalMart. (But the customer service/return policy is much better at Costco than at Target, so the analogy isn't perfect! ;) However, the layout is analgous.)

ETA: Take my description with a grain of salt since there isn't a Costco anywhere near me. I shop there when I visit my parents since they have one near them and are members. However, if Costco would ever open a store in my area, I would join in a heartbeat! (Costco gods, are you listening???)

Melanie
06-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Costco b/c I don't like to patronize the corporation owning Sam's Club and Wal-mart.

ETA: I've also known people who worked at Costco and they treated their employees very well. I've never known anyone who worked at Sam's Club but the level of service one gets at a Wal-mart speaks to me about how they are treated.

Marisa6826
06-19-2006, 04:56 PM
>My impression is that Costco is to Sam's Club as Target is to
>WalMart. (But the customer service/return policy is much
>better at Costco than at Target, so the analogy isn't perfect!
>;) However, the layout is analgous.)

Excellent analogy, Colleen.

Costco has *rocking* customer service (on par with Nordstrom - return anything at any time, with or without a receipt, no matter if half the product is gone), they treat their employees well, they have somewhat upscale products that are very competitively priced, and are usually always clean. They also sell cheap organic milk (!), and is just an all-around pleasurable experience as long as you don't go on a mobbed weekend. ;)

I refuse to shop Sprawl-Mart or any of its affiliates for several reasons. So, Costco it is!

-m

cmdunn1972
06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Marisa. :)

I wasn't aware how much cheaper organic milk is at Costco. Perhaps next time I'm visiting my parents I'll have to go the extra distance to Costco for a milk run rather than nearby Giant. :)

I believe that membership to Costco is slightly more than it is at BJ's or WalMart, but it's worth it for a customer-friendly return policy, IMO.

Marisa6826
06-19-2006, 05:11 PM
$7 for three half gallons that are dated at least a month out (usually).

You can't beat it!! We usually buy at least three or four boxes at a time. The only thing is that it's 1%. My Ped had no problem with that, since the girls have, uh, constipation issues. D'oh!

-m

cmdunn1972
06-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh! Do they not carry whole organic milk? That's what I usually buy for DS...

aliceinwonderland
06-19-2006, 05:26 PM
We love Costco too for all the above-mentioned reasons, but I don't think the organic milk is *that* much cheaper there compared to the price at Trader Joes...May be wrong, though.

You know there's one in Montgomeryville (sp?), right? I have no idea where exactly you live, but that's the one we go to. I think there's one in NJ that's **slightly** closer, but DH argues with me on that ;)

urquie
06-19-2006, 05:40 PM
my costco doesn't carry organic whole milk (or any whole milk that i'm aware of).

urquie
06-19-2006, 05:40 PM
my costco doesn't carry organic whole milk (or any whole milk that i'm aware of).

eb1
06-19-2006, 06:19 PM
There's not a Costco anywhere near us, so we're stuck with Sam's. I find enough items there to justify our membership, but I would much, much rather have a Costco (particularly when I see all the deals being discussed here). But, to answer your question, our Sam's Club only consistently carries 2% organic milk. They have some organic produce, but it's not predictable. (I've also seen some organic cotton clothes, randomly.) I think it probably depends on the area how much and which organic items are stocked (for all I know, I'm the only person in there buying the organic milk).

eb1
06-19-2006, 06:19 PM
There's not a Costco anywhere near us, so we're stuck with Sam's. I find enough items there to justify our membership, but I would much, much rather have a Costco (particularly when I see all the deals being discussed here). But, to answer your question, our Sam's Club only consistently carries 2% organic milk. They have some organic produce, but it's not predictable. (I've also seen some organic cotton clothes, randomly.) I think it probably depends on the area how much and which organic items are stocked (for all I know, I'm the only person in there buying the organic milk).

cmdunn1972
06-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for letting me know!

Of course, even if they don't carry that particular item, I still can't seem to walk out of Costco without buying something. ;)

noahsmommy
06-19-2006, 08:30 PM
My DH and I are huge Costco fans. Plus our entire community of friends. That being said, Costco is just an amazing place to get great deals on so many popular items. I agree with a PP that even their company brand Kirkland is very good quality. While I am not a Sam's Club member, I have heard that the do have good products as well, but not as much as the more popular or higher quality items like furniture, tools, facial products, etc....

Costco also has seasonal coupons off their store items, that's when my DH and I stock up on all the basics: toilet paper, paper towels, diapers, napkins, bottled water, etc...

If you have the choice, I would definetely recommend Costco over Sam's Club, primarily b/c of the diversity of products and higher quality of products available to you as a consumer.
Ann

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogard20040519_-6_Noah+is.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/car220np___.png[/img][/url]

bostonsmama
06-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Love Costco, too. We've been members for the past 2.5 years. I don't think we'd be a member of ANY wholesale club if we had to pay for the membership, but when it's a yearly Christmas present from the ILs or my relatives, it's so much easier to call the stuff there a bargain. We buy much of our organic produce there, and almost all of our electronics (a DVD player, our Panasonic phones, Kodak digital camera, printer and printer cartriges). We also like that they're the only one around here w/ wild salmon (save for Whole Food's version at $18/lb). We regularly get sundried tomatoes, marinated artichokes, olives, Redken shampoo, Dove conditioner, Warre's Warrior Port, Kirkland laundry detergent and Cascade Complete. When I was taking care of my aging grandfather, we bought Depends in bulk and the Kirkland wipes (didn't like that they weren't flushable, but not so much an issue with babies' dipes). These are the things that are the best deal compared to regular grocery stores for us. We also LOVE the $1.50 hotdog and coke at the concession stand...get it almost every time.

Not to repeat everyone, but their return policy and customer service rocks. My FIL returned a seven year old TV that didn't work anymore...got a new one....same with a fridge that's only 2 years old. We've returned fresh crab legs that were spoiled (full refund), books, used printer cartriges that wouldn't work anymore...you name it. So not a "Target" type return policy.

I think if I had to pay for a membership, it'd be at BJs Wholesale Club...best cheesecake in the world, good prices (plus they accept coupons, which appeals to my inner cheapness), sell Dip n Dots at concession, and isn't Sam's Club (also not a Walmart fan).

HTH!
Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

lablover
06-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Organic milk at my local Costco is $8 for three half gallons, which is actually a couple pennies higher than the price I pay for milk at Trader Joe's ($5.29/gallon). Both prices are still much cheaper than what is available at the grocery stores though. About 6 months ago, all the stores here jacked up their organic milk prices - I guess the demand has really grown here (in NoVA).

I think Costco is awesome though! We buy our meats there and freeze. I love their new packaging for chicken breasts (chicken is divided and 2 pieces of chicken are sealed together in individual packages - makes it easy.)

egoldber
06-20-2006, 08:36 AM
I prefer the Costco organic milk because it has the screw on lid. I hate the "standard" milk cartion closure on the TJ milk.

cmdunn1972
06-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Not sure which Costco you go to, but my parents go to the one in Sterling. There's also a TJs in Reston that's not far from them. Any clue how those prices compare to Whole Foods? Anything's better than Giant!

aliceinwonderland
06-20-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't even know where Sterling is (LOL, I don't drive, DH would know).
I find TJs consistently cheaper than Whole Foods...We go to the one in Jenkintown (or is it Abington? I get those two mixed up).

Never been to Giant, but within walking distance of a Shoprite, which is not bad for last minute stuff: they do have some organic stuff and that Kosher chicken that TJ also sells.

ETA: D'uh, Collen was not replying to me. I was thinking that I had never heard of Sterling in PA. LOL. Must.have.more.coffee.

egoldber
06-20-2006, 08:53 AM
The one in Sterling is nice because they sell gas. By FAR the best prices in NoVA. Alas, that one is too far for me.

ETA: The Whole Foods in Reston is kind of small. The one in Vienna is much better. There's a new WF opening in Fair Lakes, but I'm not sure its actually open yet.

lablover
06-20-2006, 10:16 AM
I go to the one in Chantilly. I haven't been to Whole Foods in a year or so, because there isn't one really convenient to me right now, but back then I think a gallon of milk was $5, which was the same as TJ's at that time. I'm sure they have hiked up the price some like everyone else around here.

Also, the Chantilly Costco only sells 1% milk right now (used to have 2%), so that's probably the same case at the Sterling store. Trader Joe's has all types. The only thing is the TJ's milk expires faster (I guess because it's not ultra pasteurized) - just in case you were wanting to stock up....

MissyAg94
06-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Costco is closer but we don't like their politics so we go to Sam's or BJ's.

egoldber
06-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Does the one in Chantilly sell gas? You mean the new-ish one at 50 and 28 right?

lablover
06-20-2006, 11:22 AM
No, unfortunately. I wish it did!

egoldber
06-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Ah, too bad. I might have drive a litttllleee farther to the one in Chantilly then, but I'll stick with the one at Fair Lakes. :)

lmwbasye
06-20-2006, 11:28 AM
We belong to both and prefer Costco. We have a free-to-us membership at Sam's since my FIL has a business account there and still pay to have Costco membership...that's how much we prefer it. The Kirkland brand is very good and rated very highly but groups such as Consumer Reports.

As previously mentioned, their return policy is great and no questions asked. No need for purchasing extended warranties like you do at Sam's ($39 for 3 year warranty). At Costco, just return or exchange your item with no problems. My Dad has even returned a couple years old DVD player that just stopped working without a receipt with no problems at all.

I also agree that I do not trust/shop at Wal-Mart/Sam's for their politics and they way they treat their employees.

HTH!

cmdunn1972
06-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Oh, sorry, Eri, I was directing that post to "lablover" since she mentioned NoVA. :) (It's in VA.) Don't over-caffeinate on my account! ;)

Of course, if you were going to anyway, then go right ahead! :P

trumansmom
06-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Interesting. You're the first person I've ever heard express that point of view. What is is specifically about Costco's politics that you don't like?

ETC typo.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

jennabear
06-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I actually prefer BJ's. Ours sells gas too.

MissyAg94
06-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Let me start with this: I am new here and in no way intend to start any kind of debate. I was just answering the "why." And I am not hard-core when it comes to patronizing certain businesses. Buy if I have a choice I will bypass businesses that I believe are heavily weighted in a politcal direction that I don't necessarily agree with. That said, political contributions by Costco related entities in the last presidential campaign were almost entirely given to the candidate that I did not support. So that's what I meant. After posting that, I thought "hmmmm, maybe not the best way to introduce myself to the group." But not a good reason for me to edit it out. Honestly, I don't have strong opinions on most retailers, but having a choice, I don't go to Costco.

Anyway, I have learned a TON from everyone here and look forward to finding more cool stuff for my daughter! We even did DADDY pics for Father's Day and Daddy loved them!

kaylinsmommy2
06-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Here's a good article from USA Today comparing Costco with Sam's Club.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2004-09-23-costco_x.htm

Here are some fun facts:
- Costco pays an average $15.97 an hour vs. $10.38 for Wal-Marts in metro areas, which is where many Costcos are

-17% Costco's annual employee turnover vs. 46% for Wal-Mart and 65% for the retail industry

-Bill Gate's wife shopps at Costco (Bill's father is on the board at Costco and wears Kirkland brand clothes)

- Nothing at Costco costs more than 14% above what Costco paid. The average markup is more like 10%, Sinegal says, vs. 20% or so at Wal-Mart, estimates Wall Street retail analyst Bill Dreher at Deutsche Bank. Department store markups approach 50%.

I heart Costco.

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

aliceinwonderland
06-20-2006, 02:50 PM
That's perfectly reasonable and thanks for clarifying :) Despite the Costco love, we really do not bite (that hard) here, don't worry.

Welcome to the BBB :)

trumansmom
06-20-2006, 02:53 PM
What she said. :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Welcome!

Jeanne

MissyAg94
06-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks, y'all. I was actually worried what I might read when I came back!

trumansmom
06-20-2006, 03:48 PM
LOL! We're not *that* bad.

Jeanne

HannaAddict
06-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Same decision. Costco, hands down. I won't shop at Walmart no matter what the price because of how they treat their employees and customers who are injured on their property and since Sam's Club is owned by Walmart, no Sam's Club. I think Costco honestly has a better selection of merchandise too. But the real factor is how progressive Costco is about providing living wages, health insurance, etc. to their employees. Even when Wall Street would like them too run rough shod over their workers.

Kimberly

HannaAddict
06-20-2006, 06:03 PM
I had never heard of anyone saying that about Coscto either, especially since they are great to their employees, no matter who their employees vote for. I'm glad you didn't edit out your post though. I'm all for free speech!

Kimberly

cmdunn1972
06-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for providing the link (and fun facts), Caroline. :) That's good, factual information.

RJPO
06-20-2006, 06:22 PM
I *think* it was an article in the Wall Street Journal that had a quote that implied that stock analysts were concerned about Costco's future because "they seem to care more for their customers than for their stockholders."

Not a direct quote, obviously ... just something that stuck in my head.

I was already a big Costco fan, but that quote (and other parts of the article, which included an interview with the CEO) really made me feel good about shopping there. Plus, I love the book section!

Rachel
mom to Mary (8), James (15 months), Elizabeth (due 8/29/06)

anamika
06-20-2006, 06:24 PM
We asked at our Costco if they would stock organic whole milk and we were told that they tried selling it in CA but it wasn't selling enough there. They figure if it doesn't sell there, it probably won't do as well in the rest of the country.

mudder17
06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I would love to have a Costco, but Sam's is much closer, so that's where we have a membership. I do like Sam's, but it seems like Costco treats their workers better and I like the great deals they seem to offer that I hear about on these boards. But Sam's works for us right now and it's a great place for us to get meat and veggies and of course those staples like detergents, TP, and so on.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 27 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

Dcclerk
06-20-2006, 06:48 PM
They sure aren't selling it near me. I've looked at all the local Costcos in my area (Los Angeles) and nary an organic whole milk to be found. That being said, their 1% is great. In fact, my DS always asks for "Costco milk" and insists that any other is not acceptable.