PDA

View Full Version : What Could Be Causing This Rash?

randomkid
06-19-2006, 11:18 PM
First a little background - DD had a small area of ringworm on one side of her bottom that spread to a little spot on her thigh. The first cream we tried didn't work, so the ped prescribed something a little stronger. That got rid of the ringworm, but every place we put the cream, she had these little bumps. I took her back to the ped Sat. and they felt it could be a dermatitis from the cream. They said to stop the cream and see what happens. Well...it's spreading. I noticed today that she has a few on her belly, one knee and one arm. It is mostly in her diaper area (has spread to the other side now) and her thighs.

There are only two things that I can think of that may be causing this. Playing in the grass and strawberries. We just added strawberries a few weeks ago and started with things that contain strawberries (i.e. cereal bars). Then we added freeze-dried strawberries (a great snack, BTW) and just started fresh berries a couple of weeks ago. She probably has had one or both of those every day. I actually thought to myself, "I wonder if this is too much", but she just loves them and they are helping to keep constipation at bay. I have stopped the strawberries and I am waiting to see what happens. She has been in the grass, but really not that much. I would think if it was grass, she would have them more in places that are exposed.

We haven't gone back to the ped because I figure they will just ask what is different and tell me to stop the strawberries. If there is no improvement or it gets worse in a couple of days, I'll take her back. I just avoid going in unless it is absolutely necessary - I don't want her to pick up some illness there, KWIM?

Just wondered if anyone has BTDT. The rash is mostly just little raised flesh colored bumps, although some of them are now becoming little red dots. They usually only turn red if she gets hot and when I wipe her with diaper changes (getting wet or wiping? - not sure what causes the redness). Then, the redness goes away pretty quickly. Doesn't seem to itch or bother her in any way.

Any thoughts?

Kim

karolyp
06-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey Kim! Do you think it could be heat rash? Or something she picked up from the sandbox?

buddyleebaby
06-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Did youtry giving her a litle benadryl to see if it has any effect? That might at least narrow it down to allergy/non-allergy.

Splash
06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
I have run the gamut with every rash and skin disease known to man.
What you are talking about sounds like plain old heat rash. But it could be something more. You can email me and go a bit more into detail and I can try to help. But an allergy would not likely make it's appearance in her diaper area, but more in her trunk and face.

randomkid
06-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Don't think it's the sandbox since she had this before we got it. Also, it's new, clean play sand. I don't think that would do it.

Thanks.

randomkid
06-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I thought of that, but don't really want to give her medication if I don't have to. It doesn't seem to bother her in any way.

Thanks,

randomkid
06-20-2006, 05:54 PM
I sent you an e-mail.