PDA

View Full Version : Any Project managers here? Need some guidance

asha
06-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I am in Software development currently and want to move to Project Management.
I know that one way to get started is to get a PMP certification. However, I am not sure if that is a must.

Given that I dont have any PM experience, how can I get some qualifications to apply for a PM job? I have an Engineering degree and close to 10 years experience in the software industry. Yes, I have been in leadership roles, but am not sure that is enough to support my resume.

How can I prepare myself for this job? Are there any books that you would recommend? What do you think are the skills that are most import for a PM?

I know this is a lot of questions, I really appreciate some help.
Thanks in advance for your time.

vdrake71
06-20-2006, 12:59 PM
I am not a project manager, but wanted to add that the PMP is a very nice to have. Companies really like it, but you need to have experience before you can even sit for the exam. I have looked into taking the PMP a couple of time, but I have not had the time or engery to do it.

I would recommend going to monster.com and search for PM to see the skills that they are looking for. Also, you might want to look into joining your local project management chapter.

schums
06-20-2006, 02:58 PM
I am a PMP, and it's been valuable to have. It won't get you the job on it's own, but it gets you noticed.

I agree with PP to check out job postings on moster for project managers. You probably have LOTS of PM skills/experience that you don't realize you have, especially if you've done more with software development that "just" programing. Be sure to highlight those in any resumes or interviews. My background is software development from a marketing/pm side, and I was using lots of PM skills before they were labeled as PM, IYKWIM.

Definitely join PMI (Project Management Institute) and your local chapter -- there should be lots of activities they do that'll get you networking and give you some more insight into PM skills.

Another thing you might want to look into are PM classes. Lots of places offer them, and some are SERIOUSLY spendy (like hundreds or thousands for a 1 week class, not including food, lodging or transportation). If you're employer isn't willing to pick up the tab, look into you local community college or continuing ed offerings. Some of the classes are really useful, and at the very least, you're networking again.

To become a PMP, you have to have something like 2000 hours of PM experience (paid or otherwise) and pass the test. I was working in PM at the time, so I was able to use my work experience. But I also got married shortly before I applied for the PMP, and was able to use the wedding planning experience as hours too. (I had a project plan, budget reports, you name it to support my claim that I was actually doing PM in planning my wedding.) The test is several hours long, costs $500 (or it did a few years ago) and is basically a brain dump of lots of "classroom" PM. Well worth it to take a PMP review class beforehand. Lots of local PMI chapters offer them, along with private companies.

HTH, and let me know if you want more info!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

asha
06-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks so much for the information.

Like you mentioned, I have been involved in more than just coding. I know I can do the job, because I have done it in the past and really enjoyed it too. Only thing I have not done is keeping track of other people's deadlines. My manager did the MSProject work, even though I was responsible for managing dependencies if deadlines were not met by anyone in the team. I have been involved in the entire software lifecycle, not just coding.

I also think that I have the people skills and time management skills to be a successful PM and a lot of my co-workers have mentioned that to me from time to time.

I am also wondering what to expect in an interview if I were to get one. I have never interviewed for anything other than a programming job, so I am pretty clueless there. That makes me really nervous to attempt also.

I have thought a lot about the classes. With so many sources, not sure which class is worth the time and money. More than that, with a toddler and one more on the way, I am not too sure how I can make time for classes. Work has been pretty hectic too, so life is packed right now.

Thanks again for your input. I do have a ton of questions. I would like to PM you, if that's OK with you.

Please let me know what you think.

schums
06-20-2006, 05:16 PM
It sounds like you've got a good background for moving into PM. It would probably help you credential-wise if you were able to pick up a few classes in PM. I agree that there is a wide variety in cost and quality of classes available, but since you really don't seem to need the classes for skills, just for credentials, I'd take the least expensive one I could find. There are even a bunch that are on-line now too (I've taken a few to meet my PMP continuing ed hours), and they were really cheap. Here's a link to a community college here (Michigan) offering the online classes: http://www.wccnet.edu/academicinfo/continuingeducation/lwl/search.php
The classes are actually through ed2go.com but I think you have to sign up through a college that's linked to them. Content is OK, price is cheap, looks good on a resume!

Feel free to PM me if you've got more questions!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

anamika
06-20-2006, 06:37 PM
More than
>that, with a toddler and one more on the way, I am not too
>sure how I can make time for classes.

Hey Asha, did I miss something? Congratulations. I take long breaks from the boards so I must have missed your announcement.

Have a safe pregnancy,

asha
06-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Hi Usha,
No I never did announce anything. You are the first one here so far to realize that.
Thanks for the wishes.

Wife_and_mommy
06-21-2006, 06:02 AM
Congrats to your family on the upcoming little one! :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

bunnisa
06-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I'll add that I recommend doing a greenbelt (or is it Green Belt?) project if you can!

Oh and congrats on the new blessing! :)

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres