PDA

View Full Version : Need a new vacuum ASAP

dhano923
06-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Our vacuum cleaner died, and I need to get a new one quick. We were using one of the lightweight Eureka ones -- it was great to use, but I don't think it could handle our vacuuming needs (Playdoh crumbs, cereal, etc).

I need a good vacuum that won't cost me $300. I need it to have a HEPA filter (I think most do these days) and I'd prefer a bagless vacuum because I hate changing the bags. I don't really care about on-board tools or anything like that -- the vacuum itself (suction power, ease of pushing, etc) is my main concern.

I need to get one in the next couple days or so. Any suggestions?

tarabenet
06-20-2006, 10:03 PM
I recently got a Dirt Devil and I'm loving it. I have the "Ultra Vision Turbo" in an acid green color. It is bagless, with a HEPA filter and a pre-filter. I'm always amazed by the amount of stuff it picks up! I picked it up at Wal-Mart (one of my absolute maximum of 2 trips per year!) for less than $100.

Before that, I briefly had a Hoover Savvy that was baaaaaaaaaad. It is in perfect condition, and sitting in the corner of my garage, because I hate it so much.

Edited for typos, as usual. ;)

mamato1
06-20-2006, 10:23 PM
I have a Hoover Windtunnel that is great. It's not bagless though. I really wanted to avoid bagless because I had heard that emptying the dirt container is a huge mess.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

jeniferrlynne
06-20-2006, 10:56 PM
I was just going to post this. Our is sooo heavy and I hate replacing the bags. It is old and going to die soon. I swear we put as much dust back in the air as I sweep up. I was just curious if it matters whether you have carpet or wood/tile on the suggestions given.

mamato1
06-20-2006, 11:06 PM
One of the reasons I got the Hoover was that you could turn off tghe beater brush when vacuuming hard floor surfaces. I have a lot of hard wood floors and wanted something that would do well on all my flooring. For me this fit the bill. At the time it was also top rated in Consumer Reports.
Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

cmdunn1972
06-21-2006, 06:58 AM
We got the Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra that was a CR "Best Buy". It retails for about $140. It's not a bagless, but it does have a HEPA filter. I found ours at Sears. It's very similar to the Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive ($300), but the hose suction isn't quite as good (still not at all bad) and the price tag is more in our range. Still, the suction works great on the floors and it's much quieter than our old, basic model Eureka Boss.

dhano923
06-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks ladies. Our local Costco has a couple of the Hoover models so I think I'll go check them out. That way if I don't like it, I can return it after trying it a few times (gotta love that Costco return policy!).

Tondi G
06-21-2006, 04:49 PM
my sister has this vaccum from Costco and it's great! Works on Hardwood and carpet very well!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11063569&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

dhano923
06-21-2006, 07:47 PM
LOL... this is the vacuum cleaner that just died. I had it only about a month! I loved the idea, but it's not meant for the type of cleaning I need to do. Luckily I bought it at Costco too so I took it back and got my money back, no hassle. :)

EllasMum
06-22-2006, 01:01 AM
No suggestion, and sorry if this is a hijacking, but has anyone tried the vacuum that has a "silent mode"? I saw this in passing at a store recently but didn't give it much thought as my current vacuum was working fine. Lately, the motor on mine is suddenly MUCH MUCH louder and has gone all high-pitched so I don't know if it is dying or what - but I may now be in the market for a new vacuum too. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this so-called silent vacuum...

TIA and sorry for the hijack!
Susan

jenmcadams
06-22-2006, 10:45 AM
This is the one we have and it does the job. It's heavy though and isn't bagless (although I wanted one with bags b/c I hate changing the canister). It's been consistently rated a CR best buy for years. We've owned two (gave the first one to my sister) and both are still going strong after years of use. My main beef with it is the weight...I borrowed my friends Oreck a few months ago when we were moving and it worked so well and was so light -- but not enough for me to spend the $$$ to get one for myself

cmdunn1972
06-22-2006, 10:53 AM
It is heavy, though it's not a concern for us since we live in a one story house anyway. The only beef we have it that you have to push down on the handle release pretty hard in order to get it to work. However, the suction is great and (at least compared to my old one) is very quiet.

For a savings of $160, I'm happy to take a little less tool suction compared to the $300 Kenmore.