PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Headaches

Raidra
06-21-2006, 08:30 AM
I think Colwyn has been getting headaches lately, and I keep missing our pediatrician's call hour, so hopefully you guys can tell me if this is normal or not.

He has been working on his 2nd year molars, and all four are in, but just barely. For the past few weeks, he's been complaining that his mouth and belly hurt from time to time (like, twice a week). When there are loud noises, Colwyn frequently starts to cry. This is most often when I'm running the vacuum or when Lachlann really starts to wail about something. I'm concerned because two or three months ago, this sort of thing never bothered him.. once he fell asleep on the couch while I was vacuuming right in front of him. I've asked him a few times whether his head hurts, and he says yes, but I'm not sure if he really understands.

Does anyone else's toddler get headaches like this? Is it probably due to teething, or should I call the doctor?

o_mom
06-21-2006, 08:36 AM
I would call the doctor - I know a family that had some serious medical problems that started with a toddler with headaches.

cmdunn1972
06-21-2006, 12:38 PM
If your Mommy instincts are telling you to call the ped, then go ahead and call. Do they have an after-hours nurse who could help?

I've never heard of headaches associated with teething.

Goog luck! I hope it's nothing serious.

Corie
06-21-2006, 03:33 PM
My first thought was maybe he needs glasses. But, after
reading through your post, I really have no idea!

I would definitely call your pediatrician though. You are
going to worry about it until you do!

Raidra
06-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, I called the nurse today, as our pedi doesn't have another call hour until Friday morning. She said it probably wasn't anything to worry about, that kids sometimes experience sensitivity to loud sounds because they're becoming more aware of their surroundings (that made me scratch my head a bit). So I said okay, fine.

About ten minutes later, our pedi called back (which surprised me at first, since I never identified myself on the phone, but they must have caller ID). He wants Colwyn to have a full hearing screening as soon as possible, and maybe see an ENT depending on the results of the hearing test. It's funny, because it never occured to me it might be his hearing, since it doesn't bother him all the time. I figured he was getting headaches, and that's when noises would bother him. It can't hurt to get him screened, though.

Thanks for all your replies. :)