PDA

View Full Version : Maybe going to Israel, anyone BTDT?

lovin2shop
06-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I know that many of you ladies are savy world travelers and I would love for you to share some of your wisdom. I have an amazing opportunity to go to Israel for a few days for a wedding. I'm excited at the thought, but pretty nervous as well. I've left the country several times, but I would not consider myself an experienced world traveler. My DH is really resistant to the idea of going, so I'm thinking about going by myself. It should be a fantastic trip, it will be for apprx. 4 days and the couple that is getting married has scheduled sightseeing events for everyone, so there would be no work in planning the trip. Would you consider going by yourself? I will know most of the people at the wedding, so I would not truly be alone, but I would be traveling by myself to and from. I know that people travel there safely day in and day out, but it seems a lot more intimidating to me than going to Europe or such. TIA, any advice about going to Israel or international travel in general would be appreciated.

Piglet
06-21-2006, 11:29 AM
We went to Israel for a month when DS2 was 1 month old! FIL was on sabbatical there and we had an opportunity to live with ILs for a month (much cheaper than a hotel :) ). I found it very comfortable and safe. I know that there is a sense before you go that it is somehow unsafe, but truly, when we were there, we didn't feel unsafe at all. You see thousands of people everyday doing normal, everyday things and doing well and you realize that they are not living their lives in a state of unease and that take a lot of the unease out your outlook as well. I loved that trip and would repeat it in heartbeat. It is a beautiful country and just about everyone speaks English, so you won't feel lost. It really is very European feeling, so if you would consider a trip to Europe, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Israel.

If you need any further info, let me know.

cmdunn1972
06-21-2006, 03:16 PM
I've not been to Israel, but I wouldn't hesitate if I had the opportunity to go! Terrorism can happen anywhere, including NYC, London, and Oklahoma City. Also, I have heard that the security setup at the airports in Israel are superb.

A former associate of mine (from work) got married in Israel. She showed me the pictures from her wedding. The scenery there is breathtakingly beautiful, especially the Mediterranean. If you decide to go, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! Take lots of pictures and show them to us, okay? :)

Also, you wouldn't exactly be by yourself since you'll be going for a wedding.

Congratulations to the soon-to-be-married couple! :)

knaidel
06-21-2006, 10:11 PM
I lived in Israel for 7 years...went to grad school there, met my husband there, got married there. Miss it like crazy! It is a wonderful place, filled with a lot of cultural and religious
It's also crazy there and you should go just for the experience- the plumbers and a/c repair people all drive BMWs and people wear jeans to a wedding.:)- I know people showed up to my wedding in jeans! Most places are very safe, feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. There is a lot of security there-- other countries use Israeli security experts to train their people. Most everyone speaks English and you won't have any problem managing. Israelis are known for no manners (pushing in lines, askign you how much you earn, etc), but if you trip and fall, a dozen people will come to help you. Also, you'll be going with or without kids? It's a very kid friendly country- if you get on the bus with a stroller, everyone will jump to help you, even the guy with a nose ring and mowhawk.

Can you tell I'm homesick? :)

lovin2shop
07-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks to each of you for the encouragement! I've decided to embrace the adventure and have already booked my trip in August. I'm so excited! I really appreciate your responses. I'm still a little bit nervous about entering the country by myself, but I guess that is part of the adventure. Next, I need to find a good travel book about Israel, I always feel much more comfortable once I read up on everything. Thanks again!

cmdunn1972
07-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Enjoy your trip, Amy! :) Lonely Planet probably has some good, accurate information for the off-the-beaten-path traveler.

deenass
07-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I've been to Israel twice, once in my teens and once in my late twenties, it's an incredible country and Israeli weddings are NUTS (in a good way!)

My best advice with regard to safety is to avoid public transportation (buses), you can get anywhere you want in a taxi and will be safer with regard to terrorism.

I was there during the start of the Persian Gulf war and still felt completely safe. My FIL goes several times a year for business without hesitation.

As people have said, terrorism strikes everywhere and Israel is incredibly well equipped to deal with it. Expect to see soldiers EVERYWHERE (they are pat of the landscape of the country) and have fun!

Piglet
07-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Just to respectfully disagree on the buses - I found the taxi and other drivers insane! I worried a lot more for my safety with some of the crazy drivers around than I ever did on a bus. Statistically speaking, I am sure the number of traffic fatalities in Israel are far greater than the number of bus bombing victims. We just perceive the buses to be dangerous because we hear about them in the news. We never hear about the traffic accidents of other countries as much as we hear about terrorism (for obvious reasons).

jhrabosk
07-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Amy --

Congrats on your decision to go on this adventure! I think the circumstances sound perfect for an introductory trip...other wedding guests for company, planned sightseeing, etc.

I had the amazing opportunity to spend 3 weeks in Israel in college with a small group (10 students and 2 professors). I was TERRIFIED before I went...it was pre-9/11, but right at the time of several highly publicized bus bombings. However, as several others said, once there I didn't feel any fear. It is such a beautiful and culturally rich country. Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Enjoy,
Jessica