PDA

View Full Version : OT: Decorating question

janeybwild
06-21-2006, 01:24 PM
We’re starting our basement decorating to get ready for that fact that we’ll lose our guest room to our newest peanut. The room is currently all toys and play area, but we intend to build storage and separate the room into 2 parts, one for toys and one with a sleeper couch (light brown. mushroomy color), chair, and TV. The main area is long (about 40 feet) but narrower (about 15 feet). The ceiling is lower than a regular room (a little over 6 ½ ft). There is light grey ceramic tiling on the floor and the walls are currently white. We have 2 small windows.

So my question is what color tones would be good to warm up this cold space without closing in the room? Should the ceiling be painted a lighter color than the walls to maximize height (an old pro trick I heard but have no idea if it works…something to do with minimizing the contrast between the 2). Would appreciate any thoughts. TIA!

dules
06-21-2006, 01:38 PM
My absolute favorite interior color for a darkish room is Wheatfield by Benjamin Moore. I used it in our foyer and up the stairs. There's a window that we usually keep the shade drawn on (keeps the heat in better and that side faces neighbor's ugly driveway) and in the stairway there is a 180 degree turn with no light fixture and a stained glass window at the landing (read: not much light comes through).

I always do white or cream ceilings - white in this house since all the crown and trim are white.

The Benjamin Moore site has a fun program where you can play with all kinds of looks.

Good luck!

Best,
Mary

boolady
06-21-2006, 02:50 PM
I just looked at PP's suggestion of Benjamin Moore's Wheatfield, and it turns out that it's the exact same type of color I was going to recommend. If you want the room to be warmer, you will want a color with the warm creamy/yellow undertones that a color like Wheatfield has. In general, when I think of "warm," I think of colors, regardless of how light or dark, that have these undertones or, for example, a red with pinkish undertones rather than gray or blue undertones, because they are more glowing. I too would do the ceiling a lighter color, probably some white, to both brighten the space and, as you suggest, try to suggest a higher ceiling. Good luck!

janeybwild
06-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Great suggestions ladies, thanks a lot. I like that BM color. I'll give it a whirl in the form of a sample pot. Thanks!

alexsmommy
06-21-2006, 06:35 PM
I haven't looked up the color the PP's suggested, but I agree - yellow undertones if not an actual yellow. We did our previous basement in a warm buttery yellow - when DH saw the color in the can he balked, but once it was on the walls he understood my choice. It really brightened up a dark space and made if feel like there was more natural light than there was.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

Mommy_Again
06-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Not a color tone, but can you get a big area rug to warm up the grey ceramic floors? That would do wonders in bringing some coziness into the room - and comfortable if people will be sleeping down there.

janeybwild
06-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Great idea. I think I'll start with the walls and go from there. Thanks for the idea