PDA

View Full Version : What would you give or like to be given as party favours?

niccig
06-21-2006, 04:25 PM
DS is a christmas baby, so we're celebrating his half birthday this Sunday. I've had exams so I haven't had time to organise party favours. I need quick and easy, but I want something that people will use and not things they'll probably throw away. The kiddos range from 1 year to 3 1/2 yrs.

Option 1: a book (either board or picture depending on child's age)
The books are easy - just go to Barnes and Noble, but all the kids coming have lots and lots of books, and I know 1 mum in particular has requested no books for her kids' presents. But I can ignore this.

Option 2: a bag of art supplies - either some crayons, paints, playdough, stickers etc.
The art supplies, I should be able to get at Target, Dollar Store or Micheals, so I might need to run around a little more.

If you vote Other, please let me know.

Thanks for the help, it shouldn't be such a difficult decision, but I'm still working out cake, food, decorations etc.

Nicci

s7714
06-21-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm in the camp that a child can never have too many books, BUT I voted for the art supplies. Art supplies are pretty generic whereas books have more of a preference factor for what people like and dislike. If I were going to a party, I'd rather my DDs get art supplies that they can use vs. a book that I/they don't like, iykwim. Just my 2¢!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

Tondi G
06-21-2006, 04:32 PM
since it's summer time we are giving a pail and shovel and a beachball! My DS is having a scooby Doo party so I found scooby doo beachballs (a little more than regular ones)...Oriental trading also sells beachballs by the dozen!

here is the place I found a good price on the pail and shovels and they also carry the scooby doo beachballs

www.rhodeislandnovelty.com

Good Luck
~Tondi

s7714
06-21-2006, 04:37 PM
That reminds me, TRU has little white baskets with sand toys in them for under $5. Those were given out as favors at a birthday party we recently went too. I keep the basket in our trunk for whenever we go to a sand park.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

Globetrotter
06-21-2006, 04:54 PM
We're swimming in art supplies, whereas I find that every single book that comes into this house gets read, often several times! I can't say that for any other item :)

Kris

KBecks
06-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Honestly, I don't generally like or need party favors. I just like to eat good food at the party!! Invest in the cake! :)

If you must do a favor, I guess I prefer a book, as we use books.

kaylinsmommy2
06-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Well you couldn't go wrong with either at my house. Books would be read and art supplies would be used. I think I voted for art supplies, though. I would try to shop at only one store, though, maybe the Dollar Tree? Crayons, a coloring book, outdoor chalk, and a pack of bubbles?

Our Dollar Tree also had these packs of sand toys (bucket, shovel, rake, molds, etc) for $1! I send DH to get them for DD's birthday party, and he came back with just the packs of a plain shovel and a bucket. I was disappointed until I found ALL the kids (2 year olds) fighting over the shovels and buckets! :)

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

mudder17
06-21-2006, 06:41 PM
The things that Kaya's group have really liked are the plastic pails with a shovel and then some bubbles, playdoh, stickers, etc.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 27 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

ShayleighCarsensMom
06-21-2006, 06:48 PM
I voted art supplies mainly because you can never have too much paper and crayons.
The book is a great idea, but you only really need one of each, kwim?

miki
06-21-2006, 07:12 PM
I also think you can never have too many books but you run the risk of giving a book the child already has. I voted art supplies because even if the kid has some, you'll need more at some point. You could probably just go to Michaels. The one near us has dollar bins of things like stickers and rubber stamps.

niccig
06-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Thank you everyone. I too love giving and receiving books, but we have received duplicate copies as presents. I'll get art supplies this year. I'll keep all the other suggestions in mind for future parties.
Ok, off to bake a cake....

DebbieJ
06-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Target has a bunch of lower priced sand toys as well, which could be fun.

And why did no one mention BUBBLES!!!!!!! My son could chase bubbles all day long!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

beckyr88
06-21-2006, 10:05 PM
We received Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins gift certificates recently--I thought it was awesome!!

Books or art supplies would be great too, but we tend to "lose" a lot of other small goodie-bag stuff.

pixelprincess
06-22-2006, 12:49 AM
DS's b-day party is on sunday too! I ordered some stuff from Oriental Trading that went with the animal theme for his party. We toss out a good deal of the goody bag stuff so I tried to get some useable stuff like animal mugs, stampers, etc. Though I see either of your choices being useful!

niccig
06-22-2006, 01:42 AM
I went to Micheals tonight and I got a bunch of stuff in their $1 section - colouring books, crayons, paint, sidewalk chalk, stickers. Even the gift bags were on sale. I thought I could give them out part way throught the party if it looks like the kids are getting bored.

Q. about the gift certificates - do you mind telling us how much they were for. The stuff I got didn't cost much, but it was all on sale so it's value was much higher. With a gift certificate, people know exactly how much was spent. I do think it's a great idea, I just wouldn't know how much to make it out for.

Nicci

kijip
06-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Another Sunday birthday party! I like both of your options a lot. I used to distain party favors but since Toby turned 1 I have found that kids seem to REALLY like them. And I like that Toby is giving something to his guests. I do try to stick with consumable/party relevant items. The guests at Toby's train party at the beach (where the trains go by!) are getting a sand pail and shovel stuffed with a hybrid of train and beach themed items. I also am putting water and milk in the buckets too. And some sort of snack.

I hope your party goes well on Sunday!

beckyr88
06-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Everyone got 2 $1 gift certificates. Perfect for a couple of donuts or a scoop of ice cream! I thought it was very generous.

cmdunn1972
06-22-2006, 10:27 AM
I said a book because I know my 1 year (14 months) old would sooner eat the art supplies you listed as play with them in the conventional way.

The other option would be to give art suppies to the children who it is age-appropriate for and books for the younger set. Or, you could give books all around and art supplies to the child who's Mother requested "no books".

Happy Un-Birthday to your DS! ;)

Globetrotter
06-22-2006, 10:59 AM
I would definitely ignore the mum who said no books! I assume this is for her kid's birthday presents?

Goody bags are just an extra - you can't please everyone.

ETA: One year I gave a full size gymboree bubbles (got a deal during gymbucks). Those bubbles are the best!

Kris

dules
06-22-2006, 01:26 PM
I voted books but I think either is fine, I just wanted to minimize the running around for you. :)

I am amazed that a mother would request "no books" for her child. Can one ever have too many books?

Best,
Mary