PDA

View Full Version : Power sliding doors and safety

Lucia
06-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi All,
We are seriously considering a 2006 MPV minivan and currently debating whether or not to get the power sliding doors. I am a little worried about safety. Our three year old is quite a monkey boy....worried about getting his fingers pinched in the door or having him push the button while loading up his baby sister. Can the doors also be opened manually in case of an accident or malfunction?

It sounds like a nice convenience but one that could also cause problems. What are your experiences with power sliding doors on minivans?

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
06-22-2006, 05:03 PM
We have them on our 2003 Honda Odyssey, and IMO they are much, much safer than non-power sliding doors. They close slowly, and there is a sensor so that they don't slam on someone. Manual doors don't have such a sensor, and I knew at least two kids growing up who broke their arms when they were in the way of a sliding van door.

s7714
06-22-2006, 05:14 PM
We're shopping for a van right now too. Being that I ended up with a couple broken fingers from a manual sliding van door when I was a kid, I tested out the sensor in the power ones by sticking my hand there to see how hard they actually close. My DD and I both break bones easily, so it was something I was very concerned about. IMO, I think they close enough they could cause some bruising, but they close so slow that it'd be hard to cause more damage than that.

As for your DS pressing buttons, I think both of the Honda and Toyota models we looked at had lock out switches so that kids in the back couldn't operate the buttons on the doors. You might want to see if that's available on what you're looking at. I'll be curious to read the experiences van owners have had with the doors, so thanks for posting this question! :)

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

pixiepower
06-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Our 2006 Odyssey has power sliding doors but they will not close if a hand or foot or other body part or person is in the way. Haven't had a problem yet. And, mine can be opened and shut manually also.

Lucia
06-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the power sliding doors are a good thing to have. Anyone have any trouble with theirs?

CiderLogan
06-23-2006, 06:58 AM
We have an 05 MPV with power sliding doors and love them. We don't close the doors unless the kids are strapped into their seats, to avoid pinching. Also, you can disable the automatic feature (over in the front by the buttons near the steering wheel) if you find your DS tries to push the button. DO get the auto. sliding doors - you will love them!

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03
...and Clara, 5/23/06 - SHE'S HERE!!

annasmom
06-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Lucia,

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey and while I do love my sliding doors, it really takes a lot for the sensors to react imo. For instance if my arm is in the way, the door will almost completely close before it will bounce back open. I do think that it may just be my car, because I know a ton of people with this car and no one else seems to have this issue. FWIW, I have never had an issue with my dc, it is always ME who is getting caught by the doors!!

I love them because you can open and shut them remotely which is really nice in bad weather. And it is just a push of the button, which sounds ridiculous, but when your arms of full of dc, it makes life a lot easier. Also, with a manual door, you need to use a lot more force to close it - that frankly scares me because there is no stopping that door once it is in motion (except by the arm, legs, fingers that are in its way!)

Good luck with your decision!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
06-23-2006, 09:25 AM
I have one sliding door in my car and one manual. My car is a 98 and only one automatic was available. I MUCH prefer the auto door. It is really hard sometimes to close the manual, if you are parked on a hill or if you have something in your arms. There is a button next to the passenger door for the rear passenger to push to open the auto door. There is also a switch in the overhead consol to make the door manual. I *think* that i also have those childproof locks in the doors to that you can only open them from the outside, but i am not sure about that. The times that i have had a body part in front of the door or something in the auto door it immediatly stopped. The door closes VERY slowly with a "song" to warn you. The ONLY thing i do not like is that you can not switch the car out of park if the door is open, even moving forward a few feed it makes a horrible BEEP, but that might just be my car.

Have fun car shopping!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]