PDA

View Full Version : What in the world is this?

overcome
06-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't think I can adequately describe this. My DD has something squirting out of her mouth. Projectile squirting. Imagine a very fine spray coming out of a teeny tiny garden hose-- an arch of droplets.

I thought I saw something squirt once or twice when I was feeding her, but decided my eyes must be playing tricks on me. Yesterday and today I distinctly saw it. I even saw the droplets on her highchair tray today. She is not doing anything, it is just happening.

I wasn't sure if it was from her eye, her nose, or her mouth, but today I saw it come from her mouth. It looked like from under her tongue. I had given her one spoon of food, no water yet.

It is so weird!! She doesn't even realize it happens and I am sure NO ONE would notice this. I don't see it every time she eats or even every day.

It is not drool dripping out of her mouth. Like I said, think projectile and very fine, hardly noticable. It is definitely a squirt.

Any ideas what it could be? It is going to drive me crazy to find out what in the world could be going on. I'm sure it is nothing major and it is not bothering her, but it is WEIRD!!

Comments??? I'd be happy to further clarify if you have any questions?!!??!

TIA

o_mom
06-22-2006, 06:55 PM
A salivary gland that she is somehow pushing on?

alexsmommy
06-22-2006, 07:10 PM
I had a friend who could do this on command. It's something with the salivary glands. I know she used it as a bar trick, so I'm guessing it wasn't a big deal. I could immediately picture what you meant. Let your doctor know, but I don't think it's anything to stress about.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

dules
06-22-2006, 07:14 PM
ITA. And, I can't do it on command but it happens to me in the dentist's chair. Freaks me out but he says he sees it all the time.

Best,
Mary

HoneymoonBaby
06-22-2006, 07:15 PM
We used to call this "gleeking" as in "to gleek." For whatever reason, it was really common in the concert band at my junior high school (yes, I was a band geek). Usually it was an accident, but some of the boys would do it on purpose. It still happens to me occasionally.

I found this "how to" page: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=100933

table4three
06-22-2006, 07:28 PM
LOL! Another band geek here. It was called "gleeking" in my high school marching band. The saxophone guys would do it all the time, sometimes trying to hit people with the spit. Disgusting!

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

overcome
06-22-2006, 07:42 PM
All I can say is "OH MY GOODNESS"

THis is hysterical. I am printing out this thread and the "gleeking" page from the above web site and putting it in her baby book.

Too, too, funny.

Thank you ladies!!

jec2
06-22-2006, 09:51 PM
that's what we called it too. I can only do it accidently but in middle school we had some really top-notch gleekers.

brittone2
06-22-2006, 10:10 PM
I was in school with my now BIL and he was an outstanding gleeker :)

I was surprised it was known by that name by other people LOL. I thought it was just a local middle school name for it ;)

Anyway, to the OP, what a great idea to put it in her baby book :) Certainly good for laughs down the road!!!

ribbit1019
06-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Yep we had "gleekers" at my school too! There was one boy in particular, Jason, had quite a distance to his, at least three seats forward on the bus, lol.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://b3.lilypie.com/nlacm4/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

shilo
06-23-2006, 12:47 AM
well, another band geek here, only i am ashamed to admit, as one of the only females in the brass line (horn player) i have even participated in gleeking contests. (hanging my head in shame now :0). to OP, it's a 'talent' i also had as a toddler according to my mom, so she may get to 'keep' it and impress the boys with her awesome gleeking skills if she's ever in band. :).

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

squimp
06-23-2006, 02:43 AM
See now this is something for the linguistics folks. We called it "lurching" in junior high. :D And my friend and I came to be pretty good at it. I cannot do on purpose now!

firsttimemommy
06-23-2006, 06:42 AM
I'm married to a man who can gleek-on-command - and he loves to torture us with it occasionally! LOL

kochh2
06-23-2006, 04:10 PM
My brother and i used to do it to each other all the time... How funny is this though, as i was reading it, I tried to see if i coul dstill do it, and yep, there are now droplets of spit on my moitor screen... ROTFLMAO!!!!

lvales
06-23-2006, 04:53 PM
What was it with the sax players and their desire to spit on everyone? We had a few that would chase you around to "gleek" on you.

Ick.

(yet another former band geek) :)

lisams
06-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Those brass players were always trouble ;-)

I'm another band geek (piccolo player so I'm innocent) and have fond memories of some of the brass players gleeking. Between that and when they would empty their "spit valve", yuck!!

Funny how this thread brought out lots of band geeks!

shilo
06-24-2006, 01:59 AM
heh, as our section t-shirts used to say....

SPIT HAPPENS :)

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

lisams
06-24-2006, 09:42 AM
:-)

Ours said "Woodwinds kick brass"

Those were some fun years!!

HoneymoonBaby
06-24-2006, 10:15 AM
LOL, we used to write that on the chalkboard in the music room. I played flute. First flute, first chair, no less! ;)

(Hey, it's like being valedictorian of your class or QB of the football team or something -- the only thing it's good for as an adult is bragging rights.)

And yes, the brass players and their spit valves were horribly uncouth. Disgusting!