PDA

View Full Version : What do you say to avoid swearing?

mom to little e
06-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Sometimes nothing beats those old four-letter words. What do you say to replace those not-so-nice words with something less dispicable?

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

buddyleebaby
06-22-2006, 09:26 PM
- fried fudge sugar shack
- dog
- bucaramanga!!!

ETA: Doodle

slknight
06-22-2006, 09:28 PM
"Fiddlesticks" has become our swear word of choice around here. :-)

stella
06-22-2006, 09:37 PM
I say the very unattractive-sounding "crud" quite often.

elliput
06-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Shoot
Fudge
Swell
Drat
Gosh darn it

kristenk
06-22-2006, 09:57 PM
I go with "Drat."

brittone2
06-22-2006, 10:02 PM
I slip and then cover my tracks by making up a new word. Yes honey, mommy said "fub" when she dropped the dish and broke it ;) DS then repeats the made-up word over and over.

It won't work for long, but DS believes me for now :)

icunurse
06-22-2006, 10:11 PM
I tend to sound like the kid from "A Christmas Story" -
Oooh, fudge. At least, that's what I try to say ;)

Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

chiqanita
06-22-2006, 10:29 PM
:o "chihuahua"

:o "caraspita"

:o "shoot"

:o "darn"

:o "gee whiz!"

hez
06-22-2006, 10:45 PM
My coworker apparently uses fiddlesticks around his girls. Sometimes he has multiple personalities-- we'll hear fiddlesticks in the same sentence as good old cuss words coming from his cube :)

I've used darn, but Payton picked that up. So, pretty much I just bite my tongue now. As a kid I made up 'shipadoodle' to avoid getting my mouth washed out with soap!

spanannie
06-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I say Shnikes.

Unfortunately, DS has picked up dam* from my Mom and Grandmother. The other day there was a fly buzzing around, and he says "Dam* Fly...shoo shoo dam* fly....dam* fly!" I could hear those words coming straight from my Grandmother's mouth ;-) It was really hard not to laugh.

lilycat88
06-22-2006, 11:41 PM
My mom's word of choice when I was growing up was "foot" as in "oh foot". I always thought it was rather strange but as a mom of a 2 year old, I'm beginning to appreciate how hard she must have been trying to not say some other less desirable "f" word.

kijip
06-22-2006, 11:57 PM
I don't bother. I figure that the swearing is in the emotion and not in the word, so for me there is not a lot of difference between "freakin" and say "fu*&^%&*". Though the time I said "Freaking people" in the car, I just about died laughing listening to Toby say "freeeking people". So I better be uber careful to avoid the more graphic words in front of him.

Saartje
06-23-2006, 12:56 AM
To avoid calling other drivers names in the car, I use "dodo." As in the bird: stupid and soon to be extinct.

ribbit1019
06-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Some of my favs:

Fudgesicles
Crud
Oh my
Gosh darn it
Geez oh man (DD finds this one amusing)
Freaking

Some are more noises that actual words:
Argh
Ack
AAAHHHH!!!!!
Grrr
MMMMMMPPPPHHHH (this replaces M F-er)

Usually the only time I actually swear is when I am REALLY mad or in a lot of pain. DD repeats everything these days, but the only swear word she has repeated was one that DH shared with her.

Oh and I used to say "bananas" or "banana oil" but removed those because everytime I would say them DD would come running and asking for a banana. Thank goodness she doesn't know what a fudgesicle is!

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://b3.lilypie.com/nlacm4/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

himom
06-23-2006, 02:24 AM
I have a "growl" that I find very effective. DS imitates it, but I figure it's better than swearing. DS is a big Thomas fan, so every once in a while I'll throw in a "Oh, smoke!" or a "BUST MY BUFFERS!"
That last one almost always makes me feel better because just yelling it is so stupid I have to laugh.

I also slip with "crap" and "idiot" sometimes but I'm really trying to avoid them.

The other day I was listening to DS play and I heard him yell "Idiots!" I was mortified. I just felt bad that I'd taught him such a word. Then I listened to a few words of his follow up and I realized that he had learned it from someone completely different. Here's a direct quote. Can you guess it?

"Idiots!!! Where are the puppies?"

Need a hint? Here it is: He's been obsessed with 101 Dalmations lately. Yes, he's quoting everyone's favorite fur-wearer, whom he refers to as Kuwella De Vil.

And I thought Disney was supposed to teach values!!!

Jodi

kijip
06-23-2006, 03:37 AM
DS is a big Thomas
>fan, so every once in a while I'll throw in a "Oh, smoke!" or
>a "BUST MY BUFFERS!"

Toby shouts Bust my Buffers and Cinders and Ashes! a lot. And he does it in the sorts of situations that one might swear in (like dropping something or tripping). He also has an alarming way of shouting "My driver applied the brakes buuuuutttttt it was TOO LATE" while I am driving. :P

Puddy73
06-23-2006, 06:10 AM
Sugarfoot
Nuttyfudgkins (I stole this one from Marge Simpson)
Uff-Da (it's a Swedish thing)

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

kedss
06-23-2006, 07:10 AM
I say 'freaking' and I've been saying it way too frequently since the in laws have been here for over a month.

VClute
06-23-2006, 07:57 AM
I say boogers as in "Oh, BOOGERS!" And I say wretched as in, "I wish this wretched traffic would just get moving!" I probably ought to stop saying boogers, though, huh? :)

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

pb&j
06-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Schnebly!

And the swiss-german word for s***, which I guess isn't any better than just saying s*** in English.

I still say dammit all time. Ooops.

And it took me until I was about 15 to realize that all those times my mom said "no, I said shoot!" she hadn't really said shoot. I guess it runs in the family. :)

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

buddyleebaby
06-23-2006, 08:35 AM
He also has an alarming way of shouting "My driver applied the brakes buuuuutttttt it was TOO LATE" while I am driving.

LOL!

newnana
06-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Well, I have a bunch. But here's my favorite:
oh Boats!

As in, oh ships! As in, what my little lisping cousin used to say when she was imitating every woman in our family when she was 3. The S word is our family word, I'm trying to modify it to Boats.
Michelle

aguinn
06-23-2006, 08:59 AM
that one became popular around here after a recent viewing of "Doogal"!

;)amy
momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b3.lilypie.com/Eygrm4/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

aguinn
06-23-2006, 09:06 AM
DH thought he'd be cute and spell out his swears. Unfortunately, he's not the best speller. One day, he said, "That's a bunch of C-A-R-P."

I almost died laughing. So now, we say carp for a funny swear.

I also say "Oh, my goodness", which BB has picked up (a lot).

Drat is another.

My new swear when children are not present is "ass clowns". As in, "Who voted for those ass clowns, anyway???"

;)amy
momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b3.lilypie.com/Eygrm4/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

lmintzer
06-23-2006, 09:10 AM
I try not to swear, but a dam* it comes out once and a while. I usually try to say "darn it".

Here's a funny one: when driving, I guess I must say "Dude!" when someone cuts me off, etc. I didn't even know I was doing this until one day, Jack noticed someone doing something wrong (like running a red light) and said, "Mom, why didn't you say 'dude' at him?" I just cracked up laughing!

heidiann
06-23-2006, 10:35 AM
LOL... Thats too funny!

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

KBecks
06-23-2006, 11:12 AM
I dont' have any replacements, maybe "shoot", but I'm pretty good about keeping my mouth shut.

I did say sh*t twice in front of Alek a few weeks ago, and it surprised me that I did that.

My goal is to just avoid situations where I would let one out! :)

bcafe
06-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I usually say "curses"!...like the wicked witch on Wizard of Oz!

boys2enough
06-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I say Fudge!! all the time.

Lately I have been saying What the F-----.... Most of the time I managed to stop myself before the "F" sound in front of my kids.

The problem is Buzz Lightyear actually said, "What THE?" in one of the Toy Stories, so my 8 yo learned to say that. (Meaning, my 3yo says that too!) I am sure that they still don't know the F word, thank goodness, to my 8 yo "What The?" is the accpetable form of "What the Hack?" or "What the Hell?" But because it also implies What the F----? to DH and me, we have trying very hard to stop them from saying it. To no avail though since I am the worst offender...

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/chika/chirol_buha.gif

I am celebrating: just passed my "1000 posts" mark. Yipee!

alleyoop
06-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Nate says something about "switching the points" while I am driving all the time. It took me a looong time to figure out what the heck he was talking about. :)

slknight
06-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Yep, we say Cinders and Ashes here too. We're also very rarely mad, but often cross. ;-)

aliceinwonderland
06-23-2006, 02:30 PM
We really don't bother. So yea, I would not let me around your kids (Cheryl and Jill, pay attention ;))

mamato1
06-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Well, I TRY to use shucks, gosh darn it, oops. However, given that DS has recently said G.. da..it and idiot, maybe I need to work a little harder at it! :)

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

aliceinwonderland
06-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I did not know that "What THE!!!" was from a movie: our computer dude here used that in a training recently and I thought it very cute :)

maestramommy
06-23-2006, 03:51 PM
I say them all, but in my head :-). How 'bout "rats?" It's old enough (to me) to have enough impact without being offensive.

lvales
06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Now that I think about it, my mom did this too!

To this day I think I've heard her say d**n one time in my entire life. Not one more cuss word has passed her lips in my prescence.

We've had teething poops here the last few days (sorry TMI) and dd likes to wriggle out of my grasp and run around when we change her diaper - so I accidentally let d**n and s**t pass my lips yesterday when trying to keep her from covering the room in poop.

I've got to be super careful not to say them again because after she hears a word twice she will repeat it - not something I want her to take out in public! :)

I usually say darn, drat or shoot, with the occasional fudge thrown in for good measure.

punkrockmama
06-23-2006, 10:07 PM
I have a mouth on me, always have. Especially when I'm driving.

Dh, and I don't use any "code words" for the basic ones. But when I feel especially fired up I'll say motherscratcher instead of motherf*#$er.