PDA

View Full Version : Open airline tickets

BaileyBea
06-22-2006, 10:40 PM
With DD arriving in September we finally talked to our parents tonight to figure out who was going to come to help out first. MIL is coming to visit first from North Carolina to Texas.

I just started looking into airfare. I really don't want her to arrive until I've gone into labor or until DD is born. I am due Sept 5th. I am trying to figure out what airlines have open tickets where we can buy them now and they can be used at anytime within less than 24 hours notice.

Does anyone know of what airlines do this? We've been collecting American Airline miles and we currently have one free ticket w/them but DH is using it next month to go visit his parents. I am so intimated to call the airlines right now because I don't want to talk to their dummy fake voice mail assistant.

Anyone have any suggestions? What did you do when you had your DC?

TIA

cmdunn1972
06-23-2006, 06:11 AM
Most airlines will sell "flexible date" tickets like this. You pay more for the ticket initially, but you can change the date at the last minute.

ETA: I just talked to DH, who frequently flies internationally for business. He said there really is no good, inexpensive answer, but you do have options:

1) You could purchase a Y Class ticket. "Y Class" means that, while you pick a date, you must complete your travel within 30 days of the date you chose. Y Class tickets are much more expensive than regualr class tickets, but they do have flexible (to a point) dates built in. Also, it doesn't guarantee you a seat on the plane if you change the date.

2) Some airlines allow you to pay double miles for a Y Class ticket, so you could save your FF miles and purchase a Y Class ticket that way. You'd still have to pay cash for the taxes, but it's less expensive than paying cash for everything.

3) You could wait and purchase a regular class ticket at the last minute as you're going into labor. Of course, buying a ticket at the last minute is generally more expensive than doing so ahead of time for the same class, but that amount might still be cheaper than a Y Class ticket bought ahead of time. (As a PP mentioned, the diffence in cost is lessening.)

Is there a travel agent at either your or your DH's work who can give you advice on your options? He or she might be able to give you sound advice that is based on the current market, and it might help you to avoid phone fatigue. ;)

HTH!

miki
06-23-2006, 07:43 AM
Be aware that many of the major airlines have been and are continuing to cut the number of domestic flights they offer so that the flights will be more crowded than in the past. (They are diverting the extra planes to international routes where they make more money.) I don't know that paying extra for a flexible ticket is an advantage if flights are booked up.

FWIW, I had to book a last minute flight from Charlotte, NC to LA recently. I booked my flight on a Wednesday and left two days later on Friday and my trip included the Saturday stay. The ticket through NWA was less than $340 including taxes. So booking at the last minute doesn't always mean a fare much higher than booking in advance.

Puddy73
06-23-2006, 08:59 AM
I had an open ticket with United for a business trip a few years ago and it was ridiculously expensive - more than $2500 to go from Savannah to Seattle. On the bright side, I did get bumped up to first class since it was such an expensive ticket! You might be better off getting a last minute ticket from priceline or another discount site.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

usfrph
06-23-2006, 09:35 AM
When I gave birth to DS in 04 I got my mom a ticket with AA using miles. I initially timed her arrival so she could come help out after DH went back to work but after DS came I wanted my mommy NOW! So I called AA and was able to change the date on the ticket with no charge. Maybe your DH can buy his ticket and you can use your free AA ticket for MILs visit. Just call AA to double check that they still have the same rules.

Zansu
06-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Southwest is your best bet because of their pricing structure, but I don't know if they fly into Raleigh or Charlotte.

A ticket on AA is going to be expensive, no matter what b/c you're flying in between two hubs (illogical, I know). You have to make sure you get a fare that can be changed, hopefully at no cost. Y and B are the fare codes for full fare coach, but B has additional restrictions IIRC.

You're going to have to talk to someone. A travel agent might be a better bet, b/c s/he will have access to several airlines.

B/c MIL's dates are not set, but her itinerary is, it might be cheaper to have DH buy his ticket home next month. If you're only changing dates on an award ticket, the most it will cost to change MIL's travel dates is $100.

jenmcadams
06-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I was going to suggest this too...if it's not too late, I'd buy your DH's ticket and use the miles for your Mom. I know on United, award tickets can be changed without penalty (or you used to be able to do so). The only retsriction is that the flight you change to must have award seats available. On United, this normally means buying a Standard Award (40K miles) instead of a Saver award (25K miles) b/c Saver award seats are so hard to get. I'm not as familiar with American as far as their FF program, but I'm sure it's similar.

If miles aren't an option, I'd probably wait. Last minute tickets are almost always cheaper than Y class fares.