PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with baby harness use

KBecks
06-23-2006, 08:47 AM
I've got a baby harness for Alek, but have not used it yet. There was some discussion on Around the House a while ago about purchasing harnesses, but I'd like to know what it's like to use the harnesses.

I am a little nervous about taking Alek out in public on a *leash*!!, but I think I'll have to do it for some outings when I have to wrangle 2 kids, as Alek just isn't quite old enough to stay by me..... he *loves* to run away and be chased and explore.

So, moms who use or have used harnesses, when have they come in most useful, have you ever had difficulty using them in certain situations, and are there any tips I should know about? How did your child do with the harness? etc. etc. etc. At what age/stage do they become not needed?

Thanks!

DebbieJ
06-23-2006, 08:49 AM
We have the monkey harness and used it once.

I think the key is using it properly. You do not use it like you would use a leash with an animal. No pulling back, no yanking around. The purpose of a harness for a child is to keep them safe, keep them near you, within arm's reach.

When all the harness excitment was going on in the Around the House forum, someone wrote a great post about that. Holli maybe?

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

mudder17
06-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I'd go back to Around the House and do a search for harness or monkey harness. There are a LOT of experiences written already about the use of the harnesses. Deb's point is a good one--you have to use it properly. We have used ours a lot, but mostly in crowded or potentially dangerous places. And Kaya likes having hers on during those times.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 28 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

daisymommy
06-23-2006, 09:45 AM
We the monkey harness, adn it worked well when Joshua was younger. He still won't listen and sty near me, so I have put the harness on him recently to avoid a lost child issue, which hasn't worked so well. Now he "walks me" like a large dog, LOL! Pulling me along to wherever he wants to go, getting the leash tangled around things in the store...UGH.

american_mama
06-23-2006, 09:56 AM
When I recently saw the monkey harness at Walmart ($10) that everyone raved about, I bought it. We've used it around the neighborhood, although frankly, it's not really necessary in that environment. DD2 is two weeks younger than Alek and she liked it. Good marketing helps ;-) so I excitedly called moneky harness or monkey backpack and obligingly made monkey noises and motions before putting it on her. DD1 and DD2 love that.

I didn't know how to use it either, but figured jerking on it was bad, so I just follow DD's lead with it. So the harness doesn't particularly help with speed or anything, it just ensures your child can't get more than the length of the leash away from you. (More marketing tips: call it the monkey "tail.") In fact, DD2 seems to walk slower in it.

The leash/tail also unclips once it's not needed or if you are in a place where you feel self-conscious. Then your child just looks like they are wearing a cute stuffed animal backpack.

I did feel like I was walking DD like a dog with it, but all my neighbors who saw it laughed and thought it was cute. I'm not sure they saw it as a harness as much as a cute backpack.

elliput
06-23-2006, 10:13 AM
DD is getting to the stage where she doesn't like to be in the stroller or cart for too long, so I figured we would now start using our puppy harness for crowded situations. Let me tell you about our experience last week at IKEA.

The harness was a major hit. DD liked being able to walk around, DH and I liked that we could keep her close. I had easily 6-8 people ask me directly where they could buy one, and DH said he almost constantly heard people commenting on how great it was. There were even a couple of ladies who said they loved their *teddy bear* harnesses. I really think the stuffed animal aspect helps to keep people from equating this harness with an actual dog harness (kinda sounds strange to say I would use a *puppy* harness but not a *dog* harness LOL!). I also think that many people would prefer see a parent making an attempt to maintain control rather than see a child running amok, especially in a very crowded situation.

kep
06-23-2006, 10:48 AM
We have (and use) the monkey harness as well, and honestly, most people don't even realize that ds is wearing a harness. All they see is how cute he is with his "backpack". So, it works out well. We don't use it all the time, though. Usually only when I can't bring the stroller, or he doesn't want to ride, becasue ds isn't really good at holding hands yet. :)

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)
And a new baby due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://bd.lilypie.com/8dPKm4/.png

http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

daisymommy
06-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Yes, thankfully everyone who has seen us use it, LOVES it! They ask where they can get one, say how cute it is, how great it is that he can walk around, but not get lost, etc. So thankfully there has been no on-looker judgements out in public. I will definetly use it when Hannah is older. But I think it may be too late to use with Joshua at this point :(

Edited for grammer.

Saartje
06-23-2006, 11:24 AM
I used to use Ishy's harness constantly, and I need to bring it back out (as he's started wandering away a little). He loves wearing his monkey harness, because he knows that not only are we going to go somewhere, but he's not going to have to hold hands. Since I got out of the habit of using it a little while back, he's developed the habit of clinging to my legs whenever a stranger catches his eye; I'm thinking returning to the harness may help him regain some of his confidence around strangers, since he used to feel very safe wearing it, because he knew he could only get a certain distance from me.

Tips: As a pp said, you don't use it like you're walking a dog. Use it to let your toddler wander and explore within limited boundaries. If you need to hurry the child up or do more than steer them gently, you'll still need to pick him up or hold his hand.

As for people's reactions, they've been almost wholly positive; I've gotten a lot of people asking where I got the harness, or commenting that they need to get one for their child or grandchild. The only negative comment I've gotten was from a girl who looked about 12, who said at an airport, "Ooh, Mom, yuck, they've got that baby on a leash like a dog!" And as we walked away, her mom was explaining that it was to keep him safe with so many strangers around, etc., etc.

elliput
06-23-2006, 11:36 AM
And the mom was probably wishing she could use one on her 12 yo! ;-)

Emmas Mom
06-23-2006, 12:07 PM
We have the Puppy Dog harness (like the Monkey one) & I usually will put it on DD#1 & drape the "leash" part of it over the puppy. I tell her I will only use it if she starts to run off or not come when I'm calling her. It works pretty good. She likes the little pocket so I usually put a little fruit snack or something in it.

I posted this before but will do so again...I worked at Disneyland for six years & cannot tell you how many times I took a child down to Lost Children or had hysterical parents approach me to help them find their child. Before I worked there I never thought I could use one but seeing that happen, and now having 2 children of my own...the thought of turning around & not seeing them there is terrifying to me. I think it was Neve who posted something like: "better on a leash than on a milk carton". I totally agree & could care less what anyone else says when they see us using it.

cmdunn1972
06-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I noticed that the age of use they recommend for the monkey harness is 18 months. However, active DS started walking at 9 1/2 months and runs everywhere. We are leaving for our (overseas) vacation in 2 months, and I'm wondering if a harness would solve some of our travel problems in case we are someplace where a stroller is inappropriate. DS will be 16 months old and is average sized.

Would a harness like the monkey harness be age-appropriate for a 16 month old who walks well? (What is the reasoning behind the 18 month guideline? Is it size or walking ability, both, or something else?)

What is the reception that you get while using it in Europe? Should I expect the same postive reception while traveling given the cultural differences?

TIA!

deenass
06-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Someone on this board once said "better to have your child on a harness, then on the back of a milk carton". I thought it was a great statement!

mudder17
06-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I can't answer all of your questions, but yes, I think the monkey harness would be fine for a 16 month old who walks well. I have no idea why the guideline, but I suspect it's a combo of size of the child and the ability of the child to walk without needing some support (and also to not fall over if they reach the end of the leash suddenly, if that makes sense). When Kaya first started using it, I would walk around with her and if she suddenly took off, I would sort of go with her, but slow her down slowly so that she would suddenly hit a stopping point and lose her balance. Does that make sense? And I think a child who walks well is going to have an easier time coordinating with a leash, and that's usually an older child. I would go ahead and give it a try, and see how it works. It's not something that would be difficult to take a long, so it's definitely worth trying. You may find that if you're in a place that doesn't allow or is not compatible with strollers that it will be handy, or maybe your DS will decide he needs to be carried during that time, LOL.

And generally speaking, when we've used this harness, we've gotten lots of compliments, oohs and aahs and questions about where we found such a cute thing. :) I have no idea what the reception would be in Europe, but one good thing about it is that it doesn't look like a leash--it looks like a stuffed animal backpack.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 28 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

KBecks
06-23-2006, 03:11 PM
I bought a harness and returned it before our vacation when DS was about 15 months.

However, now that he's 20 months and able to *RUN FAST* I feel like it's going to be much more useful at this stage. We went for a test walk this afternoon and he didn't have problems staying close for the most part.

mamicka
06-23-2006, 03:18 PM
We've not used the harness *in* Europe, but have used it/discussed it with many European friends. By far, they've given the most negative opinions of all the people we know. But that could just be the people we know. Plus, ours isn't the cute animal one, just a harness with Elmo on the front, so that could also be coloring their view.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it on your vacation where a stroller wouldn't work. Even though people might not like it, I'm pretty sure no one would say anything to you.

Allison

cmdunn1972
06-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your feedback. It's certainly easier to pack than a backpack! It sounds like it's certainly something to think about, with deference to cultural considerations.

BarbieSmith
06-23-2006, 04:37 PM
We found it indispensable when Ava was walking around our beach house's pool at 14 months - she had no fear of the pool and I could find very few safety devices that she would not rip off, so this (and the aqua socks) were lifesavers at the beach!

http://lilypie.com/pic/060616/jxZr.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/Hz6Zm4.png

www.SmithAngels.com - we want to adopt again! :)

american_mama
06-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Well, when I lived in Belgium, there were always a lot of harnesses for sale at a consignment sale organized by a British family organization. The members were majority British, with a large dose of Americans, Scandinavians, Germans, and Belgians mixed in. I don't know if that means these nationalities used the harnesses and were done with them, or didn't use the harnesses and were selling them.

I confess I never saw harnesses used in any of our travels, but then again, I don't think I've ever seen one used in the US either.

In Belgium, stuffed animal backpacks are pretty popular. There is a popular Belgian company called Kipling that specializes in animal backpacks and puts large stuffed animal keyrings on their luggage, so the moneky and puppy harnesses would fit right in.

I had an Australian guidebook about traveling in Europe with kids, and it recommended "reins" (British for harness) when traveling with kids near the canals in Amsterdam.

So, I don't know how to answer your question, except to say it's worth bringing and trying.

pixiepower
06-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I used one with my DD when she was about 2 and DS was about 5 months old. She didn't want to ride in the double stroller and she was always running from me in stores and at the mall, etc.. Unfortunately, I only used it once because of the stares I got. I felt terrible when people looked at me like my kid was on a dog leash or something. BUT, I do think they are a good safety device when you have a child that will run from you and you have other children to worry about too. Other than that, the only thing to do is force them to stay in a stroller. Which is what I did with DD after that one day using the harness. She hated it, but the alternative was never going on outings so she learned to do as I said in order to get to go out places.

Personally, I don't find them bad, but I do find it a bit disturbing when people let their children run amuck all over the place. I can se letting them explore at the zoo or park while standing nearby or chasing them around. But, at a store or mall it really peeves me to see a kid running around or halfway down the mall while their mom walks way behind with the empty stroller saying, "So and so...wait for mommy". That bothers me. JMO!

rlu
06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Used our puppy one at Disneyland when DS was 18months, DS loved it and I only heard good comments about it.

Before our trip, we used it at a college football game as practice and to keep DS from the steep staircase. I did not hear any comments (good or bad) when I walked DS around the entire stadium, but big strong DH got razzed by 3 drunk frat boys when he took his lap.

We take it with us when going to the zoo or similar, but haven't had to use it too much since we don't go when it is too crowded and DS is fairly good about staying with me. As he gets more independent, and less patient, I suspect it will get more use.

I would say try it. I'm pretty sure is was Neve who said better on a harness than on a milk box. A similar comment in that thread mentioned loving your child as much as your dog. I've kept those retorts on my tongue whenever I use the harness, but haven't had to say either yet.

cmdunn1972
06-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks, Karen, for sharing your BTDT experience! It really is putting my mind at ease. :)

If we did anything like that, we'd probably use the animal backpack-type that you find at the discount store. Anything else might be too jarring for us, esthetically-speaking.

cmdunn1972
06-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Eileen, thanks for all the thought you put into responding. It helps me reason it out since I haven't used one with DS before. (My only past experience with harnesses was when my parents used one with my kid brother, and he's 23 now. Times have changed! ;)

pittsburghgirl
06-23-2006, 07:13 PM
We have the puppy harness and have used it quite a bit, mostly when we have gone downtown for various appointments. DS absolutely hates riding in the stroller unless he's tired, and I hate to force him to sit, I'd rather have him get tired. I noticed that the negative looks I got were mostly from younger people; the older people thought it was cute and a really good idea.

I found that successful use of the harness meant I had to accept DS's pace, and go with the flow more than I'm used to. If I was in a hurry, I either had to carry him or force him into the stroller. So we always build in extra time if I thought we would be using the harness.

Then again, I tend to give DS a fair amount of freedom. I am one of those moms that lets him run ahead of me at the mall, although not more than a few steps, and not in stores. We don't go to the mall when it's crowded, so he's never dodging other people. We both have a better day if he has the chance to run around, and on rainy days, sometimes the best way to tire him out is to let him loose a bit.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

cmdunn1972
06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
What was it that made you return it at that age? I'm curious because that it about the same age as Sean will be for our trip.

For the record, for his age, Sean's a decent runner. (Of course, at this age, "running" is more of a fast trot/skip type of thing.) Yesterday, he took off running down the hall, naked, after his bath and was hiding under the dining room table before I could catch him. :) (He required a rinse-off after that mad dash!)

BaileyBea
06-23-2006, 07:49 PM
I recently (the past two weeks) used the Puppy harness on vacation and it was the best solution for us. DS is walking and independent. I let him lead and I just followed him around. We used it at the airport during our lay-overs. We used it on the ferry rides once we got to Seattle. And we used it when we went sight seeing and DS had to stretch his legs a bit.

I wouldn't use them in crowded places. Only in those situation where the kiddo has room to roam around and not be in anyones way. DS loved it and the puppy part on his back didn't bother him but my BF's son does not like anything on his back.

DS is 15 mths and even though it's recommended for 18 mths. I think as long as your little one is a good walker it should be fine.

KBecks
06-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Both DH and I were traveling with him and we felt confident that between the 2 of us, we could contain him (and we also had grandparents and 4 other family members traveling, so we had a lot of potential people to keep an eye out!)

That was in February, so I wasn't getting out much. Now that I'm very pregnant (read: SLOW!) I feel Alek is so much faster, but the real reason I got the harness is because I don't know how I'm going to get out with 2 kids, and I can totally see Alek running away from me and then I'd have to chase him with the stroller, which is difficult. Last time we were at Stride Rite, he escaped into the mall 3 or 4 times and it was a drag. So I feel he and I are both at a place where we need it more now.

Not that we couldn't have used it earlier, I just think we're at the prime use stage, especially with lil bro coming so soon.

m448
06-23-2006, 09:00 PM
We have the puppy harness and when my son wanted to walk more and sling less during my pregnancy (around 20 months) I'd put it on him. Since I'm short I'd also hold his hand so the harness was only a fail safe in places where it would have been dangerous for him to dart.

The only time he hated the harness was when we used the traditional webbing types - once we got the puppy he loved it. I've received only positive feedback in public EXCEPT for some rude eurotrash mall vendor who motioned for me to tell me something quietly and asked me if I didn't feel like my son was a dog since I had him on a leash. I was shocked to say the least. Still doesn't deter me but I'm not the type to weight what others think in regards to parenting decisions. ;)

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

cmdunn1972
06-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining in detail, since it allows me to gauge whether or not we'd use it on our trip. :)

Sean is an active little fella, but he's usually content with the stroller when we're out. However, on our trip it's quite probable that we'll be going places that are not stroller-friendly (uneven walkways, steep terrain, etc). It's those situations that I'm most concerned about. I'd let him walk during those times, but he'd get away from me, and he's not a hand-holder (especially when he gets excited). I'm thinking those are the times that a harness might be handy, so long as it's socially acceptable.

dhano923
06-24-2006, 02:26 AM
The only time I have used the "leash" with DS was last year when I was flying to Singapore alone with him and wanted to keep him close but still be able to walk around (he was in a "run away fast" stage at that time). I used it at the gate while waiting for the pre-boarding, then again in Taipei during our 1 hour stopover. It helped me alot because I didn't have to worry about him running off and me chasing him in the airports.