PDA

View Full Version : Going the the pool with 2 little ones...Is it possible????

daisy1234
06-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi...I am new at being a SAHM and I am just getting used to getting around with 2 little ones on my own. Anyway...the summer is hot and I'd love to go to the pool but I am not sure it is possible with a 15 month old and a 4 year old who is not used to the pool? Is this doable? I was thinking I'd have to stay on the kiddee pool side> What do I have to bring to survive!!!LOL I may just do a triail run on the weekend with DH. It just seems like such a big deal!!! But so much fun??? any suggestions or words of wisdom greatly appreciated!

Laura

jennifer13
06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
I would do a trial run with DH first, since you don't know how your 4 year old will deal. It will be do-able once you sort of know what "routine" you'll follow. Good luck and have fun!
Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03
and Leah 3/24/05

dules
06-23-2006, 01:32 PM
My neighbor, who has 18 month old twins, just "hired" a 12 year old girl from up the street to be her mother's helper for the pool this summer. It's a town pool and all are members, and this will let the girl get some hands on babysitting experience while supervised, so is a win win for all.

Just a thought, if you have any friends/neighbors with kids the right age.

Best,
Mary

daisymommy
06-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Just thinking out loud here :)

I would definetly say that having a pool floaty/boat for your 18 month old or a water sling would help. That way, you could put the baby in the floaty/boat, and have one had on them, but still play with your 4 year old in the shallow section.

I would make sure they were in their suits, with water shoes and sunscreen on BEFORE you get to the pool. That way you could just get out of the car and into the pool.

Make sure you bring lots of water, and some snacks.

KBecks
06-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't think I'd do it alone. I read an article on water safety with kids, and it would be very difficult to keep both kids safe. They must be within immediate reach of you --- is that possible? To be safe, I'd have one adult per kid.

A splash pool may be safer to take both to -- I think the depth is only a foot or so, but even then you'd have to really watch the 4 y.o and keep the baby very close at hand.

ETA: how about some fun with a sprinkler or hose at home instead?

pb&j
06-23-2006, 03:12 PM
I know it must be possible - my mom started taking my sister and I to the pool when we were about your DCs ages. Bring the stroller, say near the kiddie pool, and do a trial run during a time when the pool is not so busy. If your pool offers them, you might want to consider swimming lessons for your older DC - that will give you a breather from having to constantly watch both DC's. Plus, older DC will begin to learn a valuable skill.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

BaileyBea
06-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Laura,

Being 7 months pregnant I decided to join a local pool. I went during their open house with a floatie ready to let the 15 month old have a good time. UNTIL.......

They told me no floaties were allowed. If I wanted to go swimming w/DS I had to carry him the whole time. Which was impossible for me and a deal breaker.

I suggest you find out what the pool policies are on floaties and what ages etc.... Like a PP said, your best option may just be the sprinkler this summer. My friend got the coolest toy at TRU. You blow part of it up and it's like a huge play mat with a palm tree, a slide, a little cabana that you hook up to your hose and the water shoots up throughout the playmat. It was so cute. I am now on a hunt for one.

So it's kinda like a slip-n-slide for little kiddos and more fun. Maybe you can see if you can find one of these water toys and use it when your DH can't go w/you to the pool.

american_mama
06-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Ok, I guess I'll be the first mom to reply who has actually done it with children of almost identical ages (a 4 year old and an 18 month old). The 4 year old does not know how to swim, but loves the water.

If the pool has a gradual entrance (like a beach), you will be absolutely fine. Each child will wade in to the depth they are comfortable, and you will stay midway between the two, or closer to whoever needs it more at the time. This is what we did at the beach at a recent vacation.

During the same vacation, I also swam alone with them at the hotel pool that, unfortunately, had a tranditional shallow end (climb down steps into an immediate 3 feet of water). They were true concrete steps, wider than a home staircase, not a metal ladder, and both girls preferred to just hang out on the steps. My 4 year old could stand on tiptoes on the bottom with the water just under her chin, but she didn't like that, which I don't blame her. I stayed in front of them, and let them do whatever they wanted (climb in and out, climb on steps, spash within reason). Both loved it.

My older daughter really preferred using a blow up swim ring that we bought for $3 at Target. She just flopped through it, paddled and kicked around, asked me to tow her. We unwittingly bought a large size (an adult could use it and it's kind of hard to blow up by mouth), but there are also small sizes that are easy for a child to mange (but can't be shared with a friend, if you will be swimming with other kids).

My sister has swam alone with 3 children, none of whom really knew how to swim at that point. She used a baby float for the baby, a foam zip-on life vest for the 3 year old, and I think some sort of inflatable for the 5 year old. Or maybe the 5 year old managed on his own. He was taking swim lessons at the time.

We have also gone to a children's pool at a local park where my 4 year old can touch everywhere. The baby can even touch, but again, doesn't really like to because the water ends up so close to her face. So there, I just let my 4 year old do her thing and usually hold and bob with the baby.

I agree on getting the kids and you sunscreened at setup before arriving at the pool, and keep the youngest corralled until the last thing. My little one would either run to the water with her coverups still on, or would run to the water while I was pulling my shorts off. I scared numerous hotel guests having that happen (baby in water, not the sight of my thighs!).

A baby float from Target that worked well last summer, but is getting a mixed reception this summer. My DD rejected it once and liked it once.

My sister's advice to me was to make sure you use a very stable baby float. Hers could tip very easily, so she had to always hold it. Mine from Target is very wide, so I don't think can do that.