PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live in/around or familiar with New Haven, CT?

JenaW
06-24-2006, 03:28 PM
We are considering some postgraduate training here and would relocate to be in/near New Haven (in close proximity to the hospitals). This is just in the early "thinking" stage, and I am trying to gather some info.

Can anyone give me an idea of cost of living (we are in Pittsburgh now), crime, education, things to do for adults and kids, etc and anything else you think pertinent about the area?

Thanks so much!

Jera

kochh2
06-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi Jera,
Yep, we live near there, Actually, I live in Bridgeport, And since you have kids, I would not recommend moving here, we will move before DS turns 4 or 5, the school systems here aren't that great, but surrounding areas, yeah, ok!!! Cost of living in CT is higher than pittsburgh,I imagine, but it's doable, IMO... especially since that area is not in fairfield CTY, only really close!! there's a huge IKEA there now, so i've been there several times, LOL.. and have to go there soon to have some shoe repair work done...
anyway, TONS to do with children here... too much to name... I like it, but i like long island better, it's "Home" and we want to move back there, someday :) but yeah :) another BBB mom in the area, potentially... how cool!! email it you have any specific questions, I'm happy to help!! itabise at yahoo dot com

:)Holly

kochh2
06-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi Jera,
Yep, we live near there, Actually, I live in Bridgeport, And since you have kids, I would not recommend moving here, we will move before DS turns 4 or 5, the school systems here aren't that great, but surrounding areas, yeah, ok!!! Cost of living in CT is higher than pittsburgh,I imagine, but it's doable, IMO... especially since that area is not in fairfield CTY, only really close!! there's a huge IKEA there now, so i've been there several times, LOL.. and have to go there soon to have some shoe repair work done...
anyway, TONS to do with children here... too much to name... I like it, but i like long island better, it's "Home" and we want to move back there, someday :) but yeah :) another BBB mom in the area, potentially... how cool!! email it you have any specific questions, I'm happy to help!! itabise at yahoo dot com

:)Holly

dules
06-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Check out Yale's employment site for info on living, schools, etc. My DH grew up there because his dad worked at the hospital and medical school. They lived in Branford when their kids were in school, but not sure how the schools are currently.

I'd love to move back that way (am in NJ now). I like New Haven, especially the Yale area. Lots of fun stuff to do, and easy to get to nice shore locations, NYC, etc.

Good luck in your decision.

Best,
Mary

ctmom
06-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Here is a general guide to get you started. It is the town/city rankings published by Connecticut Magazine, a little out dated, but at least it gives you a starting point. Some of the New Haven County shore towns are great places for families, ie: Madison, Branford, especially if you like the beach. Even though we are in Fairfield County, I wouldn't suggest you look here because of the cost of housing and you don't need to be down this far. Good luck!
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?brd=2329&pag=460&dept_id=487245&nr=1&nostat=1

HTH!!!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03