PDA

View Full Version : You know you're losing it when...

jenjenfirenjen
06-25-2006, 08:39 PM
the babysitter calls to cancel and you start crying. That was me today. But it's the only break I get. And it's not even a complete break. Every Monday from around 4-6 she plays with Luke. I still have the newborn but it's such a relief. My toddler is about to drive me completely crazy. So when she called tonight to cancel for tomorrow I just started crying.

So when did you know this parenting thing was getting the better of you?

ErinMC
06-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Oh Jen, I'm so sorry she cancelled on you! Our kids (both of them!) are almost exactly the same age, so I know right where you're coming from. I have a sitter for my 2-year-old for a few hours on Wednesdays and Thursdays (just for the next month or so, until I'm actually getting some sleep), and I LIVE for those times when I only have the baby. I felt like I had a break taking only Logan to Target today!

Hang in there, hopefully it will get better for us soon! :-)

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
... and Baby Logan! May 20, 2006

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Jen, I can so totally relate except, for me, it is the newborn making me bonkers. She cries constantly, on a really bad day I swear if she had been my first she would have been my only. And then on top of that I feel bad about having those feelings-- KWIM?? Sometimes it just is hard to feel greatful when you are running on 4 hours of sleep and even those are not continuous. Hope you feel better soon.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

american_mama
06-25-2006, 09:12 PM
With my first, when I thought the breast pump was cursing at me. Its hiss sounded very much like "F*** you, f*** you."

jenjenfirenjen
06-25-2006, 09:15 PM
ROTFLMAO! That's what I needed to hear. Glad I'm not the only one that's felt like she's totally losing it. I hate my breast pump so much, if it started cursing at me, I'd throw it across the room. Wow! I do sound like a crazy person.

Rachels
06-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Okay, now that made me spit out my tea. Jen, I'm with you on the babysitter cancellations. They just SUCK. As for parenting getting the better of me, I think it's mostly when I have those flashes of what my life has become. You know, those days when you hear yourself say sentences like, "It's not okay to step on other people's heads."

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

mamato1
06-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Jen-

I only have one kiddo, so I can't even imagine how you are doing with two!

Remember the mommy mantra... this too shall pass.

Or if you prefer something less flowery you can chalk this up to what my mom calls an AFGE (another f$%^ing growth experience)

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/16/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

jayali
06-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Jen,

I know exactly how you feel and I only have ONE child. When Matthew was a couple of months old I found these two great girls on Craigslist (people were horrified that I used a babysitter off the internet!), anyway, I only had them for the summer and I remember crying HYSTERICALLY the Sunday night of the first week they were gone. Matthew was only 3 months old, but I came completely unglued. So I guess that is how I knew that parenting clearly had the better of me. The thought of having to entertain (yeah right) a three month old had me bonkers. This from a woman who had a real career with hundreds of people reporting in to her!

Give yourself a break. It's clearly OK to lose it - heck I only have one kid and I lose it continuously.

Hope your babysitter is better. Maybe she can give you a different day this week?

Big hugs mamma.

Oh and to your other posters - thanks for the early morning laugh. Just what I needed on a week when DH has gone out of town!!

Good luck!!!!

firstbaby
06-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Our kids are also almost the same age. All I can say is that you're not crazy - I am so overwhelmed right now it isn't even funny. And our older son goes to a baby sitter 3 days a week. The constant screaming from the new baby and the times when I have both leave me completely depleted. Hang in there mama!!!

The breast pump comment is going to keep me laughing all day - thank you :)

Wife_and_mommy
06-26-2006, 08:02 AM
nak

my 'it' has been lost for a couple of months..... i hear ya.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

mommyoftwo
06-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Jen, I totally know what you are going through. Amelia goes to daycare a couple afternoons a week so she can play with her friends and I can get a break. I feel like I'll go crazy if I don't get a little bit of a break. And now that Linnea mostly doesn't take naps, sigh, I think I'm going to start bringing her too. We used to have a woman who came a watched the girls while I took a nap or cleaned or whatever. Then she got knee replacement surgery and has been out of commission for several months. Oh how I miss her! I'm not sure that I have any advice except to say that I completely understand. I would see if you can get someone else to watch your kids some day this week. Every mom deserves a break.

billysmommy
06-26-2006, 08:19 AM
>"It's not okay to step on other people's heads."

LOL These words came out of my mouth today. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. :)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-26-2006, 09:23 AM
That is one of the funniest things I have evr read, thanks for the laugh!!
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

Lovingliv
06-26-2006, 08:26 PM
How is today going, Jen? Hope you could find some other sitter...
I knew the parenting think is getting the best of me when I just let Olivia eat goldfish off the floor, because I am too tired to fight with her. And it seems she always wins.

Big Hugs, Mama. It will get better.

jenjenfirenjen
06-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Hee hee. I never fought this battle. DH thinks it's good for kid's immune systems to get exposed to some germs so we've never worried if he drops food on the floor then eats it.

mommy111
06-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Jen, just tell me your DH is a doctor and I can tell DH that the doctor said its good for her immune system to eat stuff off the floor.
I have cried out of sheer exhaustion with only 1DD in the baby stage (the toddler stage works better for me b/c she can amuse herself somewhat), so I cannot even imagine what it must be like for you.