PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for entertaining a sick 4 year old!

trumansmom
06-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Truman has had a temp since the middle of the night last Tuesday. He's still too sick to go anywhere and be around other kids, but he's going stir crazy! And he's making me crazy, too! I feel so bad for the guy, though. Today he just started sobbing because he's just tired of not feeling well and wants to go play. I've bought books, games, rented DVDs, lifted all time limits on computer time, but we've got to do something fun tomorrow to keep from climbing the walls.

Any great ideas?

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

buddyleebaby
06-26-2006, 12:37 AM
An art project of some sort? 4 year olds love glue!
What about baking cookies?
I'll post again if I think of something good.

I hope he feels better soon!

lisams
06-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Hmmmm,

Do you have any big boxes around that he could decorate and then use to play in?

Fill the kitchen sink with a little bit of water so he can wash some matchbox cars (if you have a toothbrush around that is always fun to clean with!)

Fill a plastic tub with rice and put out some measuring cups out

plant some flowers

put an old sheet over the dining table and let him camp out under there with some pillows

picnic inside - have him help get lunch ready

print some mazes or coloring sheets off the internet (DD has just really gotten into mazes here recently)

Wish I had better ideas for you, usually when DD gets sick we end up watching lots of tv. Hope he's feeling better soon!

JTsMom
06-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Family Fun magazine always has tons of great ideas (they have a website as well). I'm not sure what kinds of things he's into, but I've seen directions on how to make everything from glow in the dark space T-shirts, to castles and boats.

On rainy days, my mom used to help us make books. You could make one using photos, magazine pics, clipart, whatever.

Is there anywhere that you could drive to and stay in the car? We have Lion Country Safari here for example. Even a drive-thru ice-cream place or something might help. How about a picnic in a really isolated area?

Poor kiddo- hope he feels better soon!

trumansmom
06-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas. We'll definitely be filing them away for the next rainy day. :)

Truman's temp is gone! I know it still could come back later, but this is the first morning he's woken up w/out one, so I'm encouraged.

Thanks again,
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

janeybwild
06-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Gosh this is tough. You've gotten some great ideas, and I can't think of too many more except a walk aorund the neighbourhood to get some fresh air (strapped in to the stroller if too sick to walk), a blanket tent city using clothespins to pin blankets and sheets to furniture, making and playing with playdough, a drive through trip for ice cream (McDonalds), chalk outside? Hope he is feeling and doing better soon. Hugs to you too.

janeybwild
06-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Yeah! We must have posted at exactly the same time! So glad to hear he's on the mend :)