PDA

View Full Version : HELP--Need the GOOD & BAD about Smithfield, Providence area of RHODE ISLAND!!

Corie
06-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Any BBB members in Rhode Island that can help me?? Looking
at Smithfield or Providence and surrounding area. Can you
tell me the pros and cons about living there? What is
Rhode Island like?

Thanks so much!! :)

calv
06-26-2006, 11:55 AM
don't live there but if you move we're making it a point to meet up, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

kristenk
06-26-2006, 12:17 PM
If so, who am I going to split Kidsurplus orders with??

Corie
06-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Not sure at this point!! Just trying to get some info about
the area to see if it is someplace that I wouldn't mind living
if all this works out!

sidmand
06-26-2006, 07:22 PM
We live about 20 minutes from Providence, but in Massachusetts. If we hadn't found the house we're in now, I would have loved to move to Providence. It's a city, but not too big of a city yet. Also there are parts that are like college towns (since there are some big colleges), waterfire in the summer is wonderful (they light bonfires in the middle of the lake(?) and have activities and food--like a big carnival.

DH's work is moving to Providence in October--directly across from the huge Providence Place Mall! Good thing I won't be working there! There's some great Italian restaurants (and other restaurants), good shopping. It does seem like a good place to live. I know the prices are a bit less expensive that MA (not saying much there, though), but not sure what they are currently.

HTH!

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

calv
06-27-2006, 07:05 AM
all I have to say is.............................

we're going SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

squimp
06-27-2006, 03:55 PM
I spent about 3 years in Rhode Island PK (pre-kid), and really liked it. I lived in the southern part, near really nice beaches. The close connection with the Bay, and the nice beaches in the southern part are some great things about Rhode Island. Spending time on the water (canoeing, kayaking, sailing) is also big there. Providence is a nice town, I used to go to the area around Brown and also downtown for shopping little boutiques and eating, and now that there's that fabulous mall is there, it has excellent shopping. Providence housing seemed more affordable than some other big east coast cities (like Boston or the DC area). The state is small enough that you can get around easily, like to spend a day in Newport, touring the expensive homes or walking on the beach, then back to Providence for a nice dinner and Waterfire.

Corie
06-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Can we afford to go shopping together??? :)

We would get each other in BIG trouble!!

calv
06-27-2006, 06:21 PM
nah, we'd cover each other's butts. I'd just blame it on you and you can do the same ;) :P

starrynight
06-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Smithfield is really nice, providence has some gorgeous upscale areas and then some really bad ones. I would live in smithfield if I was still up that way. Providence has some great restaurants and used to have a ton of great little shops but I've heard a lot of them closed in the past few years. (I haven't been home in 5 years)

I mostly grew up there and still have a lot of family there. The winters have been getting worse the past few years as far as snow goes. The beaches are great, oh how I miss those!

Corie
06-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the great info and the offers to go shopping!! :)

I may PM you guys for more information!!

Corie
06-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Caly,

You'll be the first person I call if we move!! :)
I will probably need to put you on my speed dial.

Corie
06-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Jackie,

If you don't mind, I am going to email you.
Thanks! :)

Corie
06-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Jana,

Do you mind if I email you? Thanks! :)

squimp
06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Sure, I don't mind