PDA

View Full Version : Choosing A Car

Raidra
06-26-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm so ignorant about what our choices are for cars, I'm hoping you guys can help me.

We have a 2000 Windstar right now (our only car). We'd love to get a new car, but I'm so confused about all the choices out there. We have two kids now, and we plan on having another baby in two years or so. There's the possibility of us wanting a fourth kiddo a few years after that (if all works according to my plan, which it probably won't, of course). We'll probably need to keep the car for five years or so, as we'll probably end up with a 60 month loan (money is a bit tight). I want something that's really reliable.. we don't usually have a lot of cash on hand for repairs, so I worry about having a much older car that's not under warranty. We're aiming for a slightly used car, just a year old or so, with low mileage.

I like the Sienna, but it's a bit out of our price range. What other cars out there are really reliable, not too pricey, and can accomodate 6 people (four of whom will be in some sort of carseat/booster)?

Are there any good websites that let you put in your criteria and tell you which cars fit?

Thanks so much!

megs4413
06-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I know it's not a popular choice, but have you thought about the new Saturn minivan....VERY reliable cars, cheap to maintain, good gas mileage, and a WONDERFUL warranty. I think it's called the Relay. It might be worth looking into. They also came out with a Kia minivan that's like a copy of the Honda Odyssey (the best family car that's non hybrid on the market IMO). Kia and Saturn are both really good companies that put out REALLY good low maintenance low cost high quality vehicles. (NO I DO NOT WORK FOR EITHER COMPANY)

mamalia
06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Got this from CarsDirect's Buying Guide on Mini Vans (which is what you'll probably want for your family size). CarsDirect is a great resource, you can usually take their quote in and get a dealer to match it. As far as reliability once you narrow down your options by price and features, you can do a search on ratings in recent auto magazines (visit the Bookstore or Library to see a bunch free).

<<<FROM CARSDIRECT>>>>
Price Range: $17,435 – $28,595 (for the Mini Vans)

However, minivans stand a good chance of reclaiming their thunder, as new and revamped vehicles in this segment feature better styling. The reasonably priced Mazda Mazda5, which is built on the compact Mazda3 frame, gets noticed for its unique design. The Mazda5 features eye-catching rear taillights and a honeycomb air dam that gives it an aggressive stance. The Detroit News comments, "we found ourselves frequently admiring its looks." The redesigned Kia Sedona is a mid-size minivan, which "exhibits a clean and contemporary look that is almost sleek thanks to its tapering roofline," claims Autosite.com. The Sedona is now equipped with a fold-flat third-row seat and boasts a 3.8-liter V-6 producing 240 horsepower.

Pioneers like the Dodge Caravan still yield a gratifying ride and functionality one expects from a minivan, while the Grand Caravan and the upscale Chrysler Town and Country have incredible versatility and a plethora of comforts and conveniences. The Mazda MPV also makes for a great people mover and is lauded by Edmunds.com for its "decidedly unminivan looks."

GM's fantastic four, the Chevrolet Uplander, Saturn Relay, Buick Terraza and Pontiac Montana SV6, steer even further away from the conventional minivan look, and are instead, highly sought after crossovers, which Cars.com says, "blend SUV-like styling touches with the functionality of a 'mid-van'." Ford's Freestar is brought up to speed with its redesigned interior door panels and 17-inch wheel option for the Limited trim. The Mercury Monterey also receives inside enhancements — a wood and leather steering wheel is now standard, and seats are available with suede or leather inserts.

Rounding out this segment is the class-leading Honda Odyssey that now offers a rear-seat entertainment system option in its EX trim. The Nissan Quest gives more for less, as its new 3.5 S Special Edition trim supplies previously premium features at a base price. The Toyota Sienna is among the best in its class and Edmunds.com suggests, "If you want Lexus-like luxury in your family hauler, the Sienna has your number."

newnana
06-27-2006, 09:24 AM
remember that on any car (yes, I mean used) you can buy a REALLY good warranty that will last anywhere from 3 months/3,000 miles to 8 years/100,000 miles. Heck, I'm a grease monkey by hobby but with time constraints, a non-tinkering husband, and a little one, it just made sense for us to get one for our cars. It was about $1200 extra for DH's '98 Jeep that we bought 2 years ago and it will be under warranty for another 2-3 years for us depending on what kind of mileage we end up with on it.

There are lots of good companies out there, ours is Auto Services Company, Inc. I bet they'd send you a brochure, their phone number is 800-264-5090.

As Megan said, I don't work for them. I just believe in sharing good info!

I can't tell you about what cars will fit all those carseat/boosters in a decent size. Friends of ours have the Yukon Denali which would fit all that comfortably, but it's a bohemoth!

Good luck,
Michelle