PDA

View Full Version : Chinese outfit - for girls or boys?

stefani
06-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Please help.

DS received these Chinese outfits as gifts, and they are very beautiful. The only thing I am not sure about is with the opening line like that (where the buttons - where the shirt opens) are those for boys? Somewhat I thought that for boys it is only the straight, in the middle line (boring, I know).

TIA!

Kungjo
06-26-2006, 11:59 PM
The one in blue with yellow trim at collar and sleeves is definitely for a girl. The dark one with red trim looks like it's for a boy. If you can give me a close up of the detail on that one, I'll be able to tell for sure.

HTH

s7714
06-27-2006, 01:20 AM
I think the blue/yellow one is a girl's shirt as well. Not sure about the black one though. I've seen straight openings sold as girl's clothing, but I've never seen the offset opening sold for boys. But it's not like the places I usually shop have an authentic selection or anything though! ;)

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

elliput
06-27-2006, 07:32 AM
The red and black is for boy, the blue is girl. I just asked a Chinese co-worker. ;-)

Eloise36
06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
You are absolutely right :)

cara1
06-27-2006, 04:30 PM
They are both beautiful. I'm just thinking, if we all have so much trouble telling, then why can't he wear both?

stefani
06-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Thank you for all of you who replied. How do you know whether it is for boys or girls?

Apparently the line is not the rule then. I have lots of Chinese blouses that have straight opening lines, so I know that girls / women can wear straight line. What I am not sure about is if boys can wear offset lines :-)

If it is not that obvious I would have no problem DS wearing both. I was just concerned if it is so obvious to any real Chinese that I am dressing him in girl's clothes, LOL! I am Chinese by ancestry, so not well-versed in the culture.

Here is a close-up of the one in black & red:
(see attached).

Thanks.

Kungjo
06-29-2006, 02:42 AM
black & red is definitely for a boy.

Mommy_Again
06-29-2006, 06:29 AM
My grandparents would always bring my brothers and me chinese jammies from their asian travels, and my brothers would wear one with a shirt pattern similar to the blue and yellow - straight openining. Maybe that was incorrect, but we all wore the same style.

stefani
06-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Ashley,

The blue and yellow has offset opening, not straight in the middle, while the red and black zig-zagged.

Did you mean that your brothers also got jammies with offset opening? Maybe the style of the openings doesn't matter then.

I wore straight in the middle blouses & jammies lots growing up, but again, as a female, we can wear anything :-)

Some said that the blue and yellow is for girls, and I am trying to understand what makes it girly vs. boyish.

Thanks.

stefani
06-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Joyce,

Thank you so much for your replies.

What makes you say that the red and black one is for a boy? I wonder if there is any "rules" to go by.

Thanks.

elliput
06-29-2006, 09:25 AM
I think what make the blue shirt for a girl is the cut- the lines are curved around the hem and at the front. And the more delicate looking trim - a double row of narrow trim and flowery looking frog closures. This shirt just has a "softer" look to it.

The red and black outfit has bolder looking lines and color combination. The hem and front are cut at angles and the trim is wide. The frog closures also appear to be a bit less decorative.

Kungjo
06-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Stefani,

I'm Chinese. I've worn a few of the outfits in the past and have several for my girls. I'm positive that the blue one with the yellow trim is for a girl and that the red and black one is for a boy.

How can you tell? By the cutting and the details.

The blue with yellow trim is more delicate. Girl's costumes come in brighter more feminine colors. Most popular girl colors are bright red, hot pink, bright yellow, and teal. The trim for the girls is usually two delicate ribbon like lines that accent the collar, hem, sleeves, and front of the garment. The frog closures that hold the top closed are more decorative and flowerlike. It's more ornate. The embroidery detail on the top is also more delicate and flowery and is usually gold in color so that it shows up on the bright fabrics though there are exceptions.

The red and black is more masculine. Trim is bolder and thicker. Colors are more somber. Most popular boy colors are black, dark blue, or dark green. Garments can be accented by red trim or can be just one color (tone on tone). The frog closures that hold the top closed are more plain and are usually straight across. Not as decorative. Embroidery detail is usually more tone on tone or red. The pattern is less flowery and is usually a combination of round medallions and dragons.

HTH

Mommy_Again
06-29-2006, 02:26 PM
ok sorry- I should have said offset, not straight. I was just thinking of how once it curved at the top, it went straight down.

And yes, my brothers wore the offset tops. The material was different - a soft cotton, not satin or whatever this is. And we only wore them to sleep in, except I think one Halloween my mom dressed us up as very un-PC little Chinese children.

Where are you wanting to wear these? If it is to a function with a lot of Asian people, you should probably get to the bottom of the debate, but if it's just for fun, I'd let him wear whatever makes you happy. I can see how people can think one is more masculine and the other feminine, but for little children, you could get away with either one. The blue and yellow would just look sweet on a little baby boy or toddler.

Post pics when he has them on!

crl
06-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Well, I'm no expert. But at first glance I thought the red one is for a boy and the blue one is for a girl. The only explanation I can give, other than just my impression, is that I have been told blue is a girl color in China and I know red is the "best" color and so I assume it is associated with boys. . . .

stefani
07-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks a lot Joyce! Now I know how to tell them apart :-)

stefani
07-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks a lot Joyce! Now I know how to tell them apart :-)

stefani
07-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi Ashley,

I remember those PJs, I love them :-)

Knowing what I know now, I think for Chinese functions (Chinese New Year, or the birthday party of our tai chi master) then I'll put on the red & black, but for other events where it is not mostly Chinese I'll put on the turqoise / blue one. You are right, for little children it doesn't matter much.

This is not the same outfit, but a similar one from his 2nd birthday. DH and MIL don't mind that it is somewhat pink, so I bought it (couldn't find one in other colors I like in his size).

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34526.jpg

stefani
08-12-2006, 10:06 PM
So I took the outfits to the dry cleaner and... both of the tops were ruined! The red and black was unsalvageable, but a tailor will try to fix the turqoise and yellow one.

The dry cleaner said that it is poor workmanship, I am not so sure.

:-(

Good thing that I still have another outfit (not the ones I have mentioned, but similar).

O well...